Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Rocky Bay wrote: »
    Hello, I am only discovering this thread today and I am on a "sickie" from work! Just wondering what SPM stands for? Does anybody remember/know what happened to the "Bantry Bay" and "Dingle Bay"? The 2 of them were assigned to Bantry for many years I believe though I could be wrong about that. They were owned by Irish Tugs out of Cobh and IIRC their "cable" address was:
    Irish Tugs
    Atlantic Quay
    Cobh, Co. Cork
    Somewhere I have an old edition of Business and Finance with an ad. from Irish Tugs. The last time I saw one of them, the Dingle Bay, it was moored or docked at Veromne some 25 or 30 years ago. I live/work in NYC. One of the first things I do when I get in to work is "put the computer on" and tune into AIS to see what is going on in Cork Harbour and what is moving off the south coast.

Bantry bay, Brandon Bay, Tralee Bay & Dingle Bay (Non local bastards naming three tugs named after Kerry bays) where build in Beverly Yorkshire in 1968 (a very good year) and owned by Bantry Bay Towing Company.

They were a subsidiary of Cory Towage, when the contract was signed the (circa 1966) they was Rea Towing Co Ltd hence the colours

Originally they were supposed to anchor in sight of the jetty, but they could not keep station in winter, which is why they moved into the lee of Whiddy

Tralee bay still going as of 2009

Irish Tugs was another subsidiary of Cory Towage, which is now part of the Maersk Group, but the tugs operate under Wijsmuller brand name

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

http://www.bluewater.com/upload/167-components2.jpg

The one in bantry bay has a 12 inch floating pipe,the pipe goes to the sea floor-to whiddy's pump room.(as a aside the pipes on the island are 42 inch)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

Thanks to the 3 of you for the replies. I notice the "Walnut" has been at anchor for the last few days. Perhaps it was waiting for the other large tanker to depart? I would imagine that tanker is bringing crude to Whitegate as according to AIS that is its destination. Is
    Wijsmuller the reason why the Thrax is stationed at Bantry, a British flagged tug?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

SAR helio Rescue 119 and RNLI lifeboat off Casana Rock, east Howth Head.

• Advertisement

Anybody notice or read the obituary of Maersk McKinney Moeller former C.E.O. of Maersk? I read it in the N.Y. Times of 17/4/12 if anybody is interested.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

AMC Connector arrived in Dublin port this morning, about 1130 or so. I was out walking in Blackrock and saw a mass of red & white coming in across the bay. It certainly looked impressive.

I took a photo with my new fangled camera phone, but it came out as a small blur of red & white so I won't post it up here.

According to this - http://www.bymnews.com/news/newsDetails.php?id=101730 - it will be laying a cable from Skerries starting on 22APR.

http://www.fleetmon.com/en/vessels/Amc_Connector_2635090

z

I see the Maersk Producer is at Whitegate, it was also there one day last week. Anybody know the schedule of the "banana boat", the container ship that calls at Ringaskiddy with bananas ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I think it's every thursday that one is due, you might pick it up the port of Cork website.

The Katja has been moored outside Cork harbour for a few days now...not making any money for its owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

There is a massive luxury yacht in cork harbour at the moment,

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/showallphotos.aspx?imo=1011472

called air, it is apparently heading into the city at some stage, €750,000 a week it costs, i hope that is a misprint:eek:
    its not known who is on board,
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/2012/05/02/e750000-a-week-superyacht-moored-off-cobh/

roundymac wrote: »
    I think it's every thursday that one is due, you might pick it up the port of Cork website.
    ...bananas passing Myrtleville as I type. If I got to work earlier I could have typed...bananas passing "Rocky Bay"!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The Katja has been moored outside Cork harbour for a few days now...not making any money for its owners.

It's still there, and where did the Wind Perfection go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

It's still there, and where did the Wind Perfection go?

julia/wind perfection currently east of denmark, i assume its heading for its refit somewhere over there,
    sad to see it gone from cork, but was a bit to expensive to travel on her,

...bananas are somewhat late today. Still off the west Cork coast.

The Alfa Germania is absolutely huge
    showphoto.aspx?photoid=656744
    just look at the size of the wheelhouse in perspective to the overall ships bulk.

• Advertisement

The Alfa Germania is just short of 100,000 tons dead weight.

mp22 wrote: »
    The Alfa Germania is just short of 100,000 tons dead weight.

Things are getting smaller with age

Have been following the Alfa for the last 6 weeks, shuttling around the North Sea, busy vessel

Todays N.Y. Times (14/5/12) has an article on San Francisco pilots if anybody is interested.

bladebrew wrote: »
    There is a massive luxury yacht in cork harbour at the moment,

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/showallphotos.aspx?imo=1011472

called air, it is apparently heading into the city at some stage, €750,000 a week it costs, i hope that is a misprint:eek:
    its not known who is on board,
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/2012/05/02/e750000-a-week-superyacht-moored-off-cobh/
    ...headed for Glengarrif as I type.

...headed for Glengarrif as I type.

Speaking of yachts and Glengarrif

Anyone remember the cadburys milk tray advert from the early eighties, which feature the man in black going down a twisty road (road down to Zetland Pier) and swimming out to an old fashioned steam yacht.

Well she was moored off Glengarrif after the advert and dragged her anchor.

They beached her and she was up for sale for a number of years.

Anyone know what happened to her

The Lady Catherine I think was her name

Have been following the Alfa for the last 6 weeks, shuttling around the North Sea, busy vessel

I see it's back in Cork today.

mp22 wrote: »
    According to Marine Traffic, the next port of call is New York. Empty all the way to New York, is that possible ? Someone is losing money on that move! (Assuming that it unloaded at Whiddy-which I honestly don't know to be true.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The old Stena King and Queen's used to do Persian Gulf to US Gulf and back non stop, so it's not unusual to travel long distance in ballast.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    The old Stena King and Queen's used to do Persian Gulf to US Gulf and back non stop, so it's not unusual to travel long distance in ballast.
    What would be the point in travelling round trip between those points empty? By the way, I have been poking around the Lauritzen Tankers website and there is no listing of the Freja Hafnia.

• Advertisement

According to Marine Traffic, the next port of call is New York. Empty all the way to New York, is that possible ? Someone is losing money on that move! (Assuming that it unloaded at Whiddy-which I honestly don't know to be true.)

Most of the tankers that have been in bantry in the last number of weeks have come in light to load.

Advertisement