Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

kippy wrote: »
    I have about 5 prize bonds that were bought for me when I was very ickle. Never won anything - I wish I had more money to put into them!
    Have you updated your address with Fexco? It's possible that they have been unable to contact you with your winnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Have you updated your address with Fexco? It's possible that they have been unable to contact you with your winnings.

Yeah, Been keeping it up todate alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

For the record, I have two prize bonds that are about 30 years old, and another four that are about 20 years old, I have never won anything on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

I have 5 that are 20yrs old, my 2 brothers bought them the same time as me

I won £100 ~ 18yrs ago and I won €75 ~3mths ago

brothers haven't won a penny and neither have mother or father who have ~ 10 prize bonds each for 30years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

Not sure if this was already mentioned caus too lazy to read all previous posts BUT,take your money out of pbs and invest it in Government bonds,this will return 11% or so ,and government bonds are safer than pbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Black Rock

State Savings is the brand name used by the National Treasury Management Agency (NTMA) to describe the range of savings products offered by the NTMA to personal savers.

An Post and the Prize Bond Company are agents of the NTMA for the operation of the State Savings schemes. Neither An Post nor the Prize Bond Company have ever retained or managed any State Savings money - all State Savings money is placed directly with the Government under the management of the National Treasury Management Agency (NTMA).

The obligation to repay your money to you is an unconditional obligation of the Government - An Post or the Prize Bond Company has never had any role in this regard. There is no difference in the level of security of Prize Bonds as compared to any other NTMA State Savings product or Irish Government Bonds because in line with the normal practice in the sovereign debt markets, Ireland has never issued any debt with either a preferred status or a subordinated status relative to any other debt it has issued, i.e. all debt issued by Ireland ranks “pari passu” and enjoys identical status.

All NTMA State Savings money ranks equally with all other sovereign debt of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings from today's draw: €0
    Total winnings to date on €25k: €150

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Not sure if this was already mentioned caus too lazy to read all previous posts BUT,take your money out of pbs and invest it in Government bonds,this will return 11% or so ,and government bonds are safer than pbs.

Would you care to tell us which Govt. bond is currently paying 11%?

I hope you mean 11% per annum because if it's 11% after 'n' years then that needs to be reduced to an annual rate in order to make a comparison meaningful.

Prize Bonds and Govt. bonds and Post Office Saving accounts are all part of the national debt, one is not 'safer' than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

coylemj wrote: »
    Would you care to tell us which Govt. bond is currently paying 11%?

I hope you mean 11% per annum because if it's 11% after 'n' years then that needs to be reduced to an annual rate in order to make a comparison meaningful.

Prize Bonds and Govt. bonds and Post Office Saving accounts are all part of the national debt, one is not 'safer' than the other.

There's no government bond currently trading that pays 11% pa.
    If there were I dont think the insurance and investments thread would be as busy as it is, as all money would be invested in this bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭oceanman

the problem i would have with prize bonds is that the draws cannot be seen taking place by the general public............. make your own mind why that is!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

oceanman wrote: »
    the problem i would have with prize bonds is that the draws cannot be seen taking place by the general public............. make your own mind why that is!

Because it would be too expensive to hold hold regular public draws?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I worked in a post office for a while and got to serve a lady who had about 15 cheques from Prize Bonds. She told me that she normally got at least 5 winning cheques a month and she always re-invests back into Prize Bonds to increase her chances of winning - she also mentioned she had tons of Prize Bonds but had never hit the big one.

Total winnings since Feb on €25k: €150

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Can you buy prize bonds online?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

My father bought 400 prizebonds in january and two weeks later after getting them in the post he won €75. No winning since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

Can you buy prize bonds online?

Yes you can here is the link https://www.prizebonds.ie/online/purchasing/index.html

Lisa2011 wrote: »
    My father bought 400 prizebonds in january and two weeks later after getting them in the post he won €75. No winning since then.
    I've heard that so many times! Just after they're purchased, they get you hooked by winning almost immediately...

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brownbeard

I have 160 Prize Bonds (€1k) that were purchased at the start of March, and won €75 on June 10th.

I reckon that even if that's all I get for the whole year, 7.5% tax free is a fairly good annual return.

However, most of the people I've talked who have more invested than I do say that their winnings usually amount to ~2%. So it's quite possible, as I believe you are suggesting OP, that there's a suspicious trend of newbies getting prizes against the odds.

At the same time, if you look at the list of winning bonds, the distribution is pretty even with a winning bond for every 20 000 to 40 000 bonds.

In summary: *shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 scoobisnacks

Bought 3800 worth in January - won 75 three times in February and none since...

Total winnings since Feb '11 on €25k: €150

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Blisterman

How do you know if you've won? I used to get prize bond every year for my birthday as a kid.

No longer have the certificates, can you just give your name and address if you wanna cash them in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

How do you know if you've won? I used to get prize bond every year for my birthday as a kid.

There is a prize bond tracker on the site.
    No longer have the certificates, can you just give your name and address if you wanna cash them in?

Yes I think so. Give them a ring.

Winnings from draw: €0
    Total winnings to date on €25k: €150

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

pbwinner wrote: »
    Hiya,
    Thought I'd update this thread on the success (or not) of €25k (yes, €25,000) I invested in PBs since February.

Purpose of this thread is to give some indication of the success rate of PBs for the ordinary punter as I assume €25k is large amount to invest in one go.

Planning to keep it in there for a year or so.

Winnings to date: €25

OP - that was a great idea for a thread. Also I own PBs but not as many as you but for longer and won more (c €1k). But after 20 years, I'm disappointed with PB and it's actual poor value. I too would also like to see more visibility of prize winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

0 again. Maybe there's something to the beginners luck/curse :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

Total winnings since Jan '11 on €10k: €375

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

My granddad won the prize bonds the day he retired. He had recently bought a small house and the payout nearly matched the cost of the house. This was a very long time ago though.

Advertisement