Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

• 23-06-2008 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭al.

Is anybody familiar with escrow as a method of paying for goods?? I am buying a car from Germany and the buyer wants me to pay by Escrow and he will get the car delivered to my address. If i am happy with it, the money will be released to him. Is this a safe way of paying somebody?? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Scam :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,098 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Did you actually see the car in person or test drive it? There is no way in hell I would just pay for a car I didn't inspect or test drive irrespective of how genuine the seller or payment method seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Homer

It's mainly used in the US for real estate deals and the like. Never heard of it being used for car payments. Like others have said it could well be a scam so be very suspicious of it.
    What's so special about the car that you can't get one in the UK if you feel like making a saving and importing?
    Link if you have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It is a scam, no if's or but's about it.

There is a whole lot of cars advertised at the moment that are suspisciously cheap and allegedly being sold out of Germany for some semi-plausible reason.

These cars do not exist, the ads are just clones of legitimate ones.

The old saying applies: If it looks to good to be true, it usually is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

This has got to be a wind up. No one is that stupid? Pay for a car without seeing it???

By the way i have a new Ferrari 599 for sale. I`ll take 20k for it as I have just got a new job in Spain. I will email you as many pics of it as you want. Your bank details would be handy too so I can give you a luckpenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

EBay discontinued Escro as a method of payment over three years ago, so it must be dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

TommyT wrote: »
    This has got to be a wind up. No one is that stupid? Pay for a car without seeing it???

You'd be surprised!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

You'd be surprised!

Was telling a friend about this and he lost 3 grand a couple of year ago. First time he admitted it today, so they obvioulsy do get some suckers. I wouldnt mind but he is the tightest person I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

TommyT wrote: »
    Was telling a friend about this and he lost 3 grand a couple of year ago. First time he admitted it today, so they obvioulsy do get some suckers. I wouldnt mind but he is the tightest person I know.
    That's probably why he got pulled in, if you think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

This one is a scam im sure but the whole escrom way of paying is good if done through a reputable company. The problem arises when you are dealing with unknowns who most likely own the so called escrow company and so have access to your funds regardless. Some of these company are created to sound like well known ones to fool people into thinking their money is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

I saw this ad on Carzone: http://www.carzone.ie/1101467

Nice 1 year old car, great price..... or maybe too great!!

I contacted the seller through carzone & got this reply:
    2007 Ford Focus LX Connection 1.4

Price : 5600 euro
    Mileage: 9,538 miles
    Year : 2007
    Fuel : Petrol
    Engine : 1.4
    Transmission : Manual
    Color : Blue
    Model : 4 doors

Options :
    One woman owner. Air Conditioning, Central Locking, CD Player, Electric Windows, Airbag, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, Power Steering.
    Very good car! No repairs done. No stripes, the car was never damaged. This is first hand car, keeped in garage and maintained everytime at Ford service.

The tires have been changed recently, and there is no problem of engine, body, etc.
    IRELAND registration. The car is at the moment in Liverpool, England.

I live in the USA, I bought the car for my sister who lived in Ireland and then moved to England. She died now, I took care myself of the funerals and I returned to the USA so I cannot take the car with me.
    You do not have to pay any taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name. I know the law and I have all the documents ready for sale. The vehicle is registered under my name.
    For payment I accept only cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale contract.
    Thank you in advance and i hope you decide to make the deal.

Regards

So I emailed the seller back & asked for a telephone number & his reply minus a telephone number is:
    We will meet on 27.06.2008 in Liverpool. The sale will occur without problems, because I have all the documents ready.

I will not ask for money in advance, but you must reserve the car and I will come only if you are decided to buy it because USA is far... And as a guarantee that you really want to buy the car and you have money (in cash) for the car, I require that you arrange a deposit paid on your name for the price of the car. With regard to the deposit, there is a service very fast and easy to use, this name of service is Western Union, it is a service for sending the cash and you will find it in your city. All that you must do is to ask a person of confidence to go to Western Union with the cash and to send it to Liverpool to your name as receiver.

(I ask you for this because I want to be 100 % sure that you will be there and you are ready to buy it because last week I came for nothing. A man from Dublin said to me that he wants to buy it and I was in Liverpool, but he never came and never answered to my emails or telephone.)

After the transfer is made I want that you send me a scan of receipt of transfer by email, so I can check on the website of Western Union and if all is ok, I will come to Liverpool to conclude the business.
    You will verify the documents and test the car and we will make the sale. We will go then to a Western Union office, you will take the money and give it to me.

PS: I said that another person must be the sender, not you because in Liverpool WU does not give you the money if the receiver is a also sender. You will be the receiver.

And the expenses of transfer (approx. 200 euros), you will deduce them when you will make the transfer.
    This transfer is also good for you because you avoid the risk of a traveling with the money in pocket

I think this smells too fishy to be true....What do you folks think ??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I saw this ad on Carzone: http://www.carzone.ie/1101467

Nice 1 year old car, great price..... or maybe too great!!

I contacted the seller through carzone & got this reply:

So I emailed the seller back & asked for a telephone number & his reply minus a telephone number is:

I think this smells too fishy to be true....What do you folks think ??:eek:

You really have to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Of course it's a scam. (and thats without even reading your post)

Please someone make a sticky about this. If anything they are getting more fequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

S-C-A-M.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

there are a lot of similar scam cars on carzone..

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

I was not aware that our Sub-Shara African Friends were up to their tricks on Carzone as well!!

Of course I was suspect from the off, well 80%.. suspect :D

Maybe as stekelly has said this sort of scam should be made into a sticky??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Stekelly wrote: »
    Please someone make a sticky about this.
    ... should be made into a sticky??

Take a post-it note and write on it:

If it looks to be too good to be true, it usually is

Now stick that to your computer screen.

See? ...easy !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

peasant wrote: »
    Take a post-it note and write on it:

If it looks to be too good to be true, it usually is

Now stick that to your computer screen.

See? ...easy !
    Stick this beside it

If the language is clearly from a non native English speaker, it is probably a scam too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I was not aware that our Sub-Shara African Friends were up to their tricks on Carzone as well!!

Rascist!

Can't believe some people actually ask the question "is this a scam" I mean FFS!

OP have you ever met "the wallet inspector" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

I've come across another one on Carzone who had a 04 D Golf TDI for €5500. Here's the email correspondance

"We will meet on 27.06.2008 in Liverpool. The sale will occur without problems, because I have all the documents ready.

I will not ask for money in advance, but you must reserve the car and I will come only if you are decided to buy it because USA is far... And as a guarantee that you really want to buy the car and you have money (in cash) for the car, I require that you arrange a deposit paid on your name for the price of the car. With regard to the deposit, there is a service very fast and easy to use, this name of service is Western Union, it is a service for sending the cash and you will find it in your city. All that you must do is to ask a person of confidence to go to Western Union with the cash and to send it to Liverpool to your name as receiver.

(I ask you for this because I want to be 100 % sure that you will be there and you are ready to buy it because last week I came for nothing. A man from Dublin said to me that he wants to buy it and I was in Liverpool, but he never came and never answered to my emails or telephone.)

After the transfer is made I want that you send me a scan of receipt of transfer by email, so I can check on the website of Western Union and if all is ok, I will come to Liverpool to conclude the business.
    You will verify the documents and test the car and we will make the sale. We will go then to a Western Union office, you will take the money and give it to me.

PS: I said that another person must be the sender, not you because in Liverpool WU does not give you the money if the receiver is a also sender. You will be the receiver.

And the expenses of transfer (approx. 200 euros), you will deduce them when you will make the transfer.
    This transfer is also good for you because you avoid the risk of a traveling with the money in pocket.

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 2:10 AM, > wrote:

Hi Ronan,

I'm very interested. Can you send me the registration of the car please ?

Also, I have friends living in Liverpool. Can you tell me where the car is located so I can organise for one of them to go check out the car for me.

Also, the advert states the car has allow wheels but the picture clearly shows hub caps. Can you please clarify this ?

Regards,
    D"

The advert has now been removed but this one has just posted up which also smells bad

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/mk5-1.6/1110186/

I sent an email to Carzone informing them of the ad but got no response. Surely they can ban the email address or IP address ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

A 2004 Audi TT for €5600...

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/TT/TT-Coupe/1104098/

A 2004 Audi A4 for €5700.. photo taken in the same place as the blue Focus posted above...

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/1.6-102/1100343/

A 2004 Toyota Avensis for €5500...

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Avensis/1.6/1083003/

A 2007 Golf for €7120...
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/car/1106237/

SCAM SCAM SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tiredmam

Use this to do a header analysis of any emails you get. The last place on the list is usually where it comes from!
    http://headertool.apelord.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

I asked about a car advertised for 5,250 on Autotrader. Here is the response I got.
    "Hi,
    I'm Marc Goldstein, you inquired about my 2005 Alfa Romeo 147 .
    I apologize for the delay, I'm in the military and now I am in United
    Kingdom and that's why I couldn't reply in time. If you are still
    interested in buying it, I'm asking 5,000 EUR. The car is registered in Ireland It has a clean title, very
    well maintained, always garage kept, no rust, excellent condition, runs
    and sounds 100% perfect with no leaks or noises. All power and optional
    equipments are working perfect. I have to sell this car as fast as I can
    because in three weeks I will be in Iraq and I think I'll stay there
    for a while that's why I'm selling it so cheap. I intend to buy a new
    car when I'll get back home.If you want to buy the car, I can ship for
    free within UK with one of our military airplanes so you don't have to
    worry about the distance. If you are interested we can use a third party
    escrow broker ( Moneybookers.Com
    http://www.moneybookers.com/app/help.pl?s=escrow ) to secure the
    transaction and to handle this whole process for us. Using a reputable
    E-Commerce third party escrow company will secure the transaction and you
    will receive the car before I'll get paid and of course I'm also covered
    because the funds will be kept safety into the escrow account. This is
    the best way for me even if I'll have to pay some extra money for their
    services. I'll cover the broker's fee and like I've explained, the
    shipping will be free because I can use one of our airplanes here and I
    don't have to pay anything. Let me know if you are interested.
    You'll love the car, I can guarantee you that! "

So I replied.

"Hi Marc.
    Unfortunately I'll be in space next week. But if you want me to drop off the 5,000EUR on the way I'll just use the space shuttle. I hope you live near a long runway!! Otherwise I'll attach it to one of the booster rockets and when we are passing over I'll drop it down to you!

Cheers.
    C

P.S will the car work on mars?"

If they didn't put so much effort into their responses it would look less fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

Do the people in Carzone care about all these ads ?

Surely it they should make a "Report Advert" button for us if they are not going to answer emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sizzler wrote: »
    Rascalist!
    Fixed that for you.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Good man chickenhawk. I always get a laugh out of people taking the p!ss out of these losers.

The dodgy english + endless banging on about how good the car is + "alarm bells ringing" price tag + long winded reason for them needing to get rid of the car = walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ac1977

i found a car on carzone for a very cheap price -
    it was about 5k less than i would expect to pay for it.

i emailed the seller, and he wrote back saying-

"I live in the USA, I bought the car for my sister who lived in Ireland and then moved to England. She died now, I took care myself of the funerals and I returned to the USA so I cannot take the car with me.
    You do not have to pay any taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name. I know the law and I have all the documents ready for sale. The vehicle is registered under my name.
    For payment I accept only cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale contract.
    Thank you in advance and i hope you decide to make the deal."

i said i can get someone i know in liverpool to check out the car.
    He then replied-

"We will meet on 28.06.2008 in Liverpool. The sale will occur without problems, because I have all the documents ready.
    The tax for this transfer is 200 euros, so you will make a transfer of 7300 euros, because i will deduct the transfer fee from the car price.
    This transfer is also good for you because you avoid the risk of a traveling with the money in pocket."

The financial transaction part seems risk-free, unless im missing something?

So i think the only way i can get caught out is if it was nicked in Ireland and sent to UK?

Any advice appreciated..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭ Keenan Harsh Tunnel

It's a scam!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

A quick look around this forum will find other threads about this...

...the same email response to different ads etc

Advertisement