Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

And the winner of dreamer of the year is... Part 2!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Two words to describe why people are buying these sheds.

Logbooks + vin.

Without a doubt. That's red rust box is a bargain at €2500 when you consider how much the Vat, Customs duty and VRT would amount to on a clean UK imported one.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

Anyone for a €11k Is200?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/lexus-is-genuine-yellow-rose-1-52/27888907

Or a €16,500 Corolla GTI?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-gti/27884100

Or maybe a €25k Mercedes 200?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1975-mercedes-200/27587791

Or for those T DEE EYE lovers, A Mk4 GT TDI on UK plates for €3,950
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-gt-tdi-150-hp/27732182

Asking prices have gone utterly bonkers in the last few months. Nearly €60k for those 4 cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That’s the Amarillo special edition IS200, they were cheaper than a Sport back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/94-subaru-impreza/27858348

NGJiNjQ2ZTAxOGY5NDU3OGM1MjBmNjU4MGVjZTQyNjWu39FSp5yp4vbaiD1I7WONaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzc1NTcxODF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

12 owners, hasn't had an NCT since 2014, €20k

• Registered Users Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭CoBo55

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That’s the Amarillo special edition IS200, they were cheaper than a Sport back in the day.

Can you show me the way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/94-subaru-impreza/27858348

NGJiNjQ2ZTAxOGY5NDU3OGM1MjBmNjU4MGVjZTQyNjWu39FSp5yp4vbaiD1I7WONaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzc1NTcxODF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

12 owners, hasn't had an NCT since 2014, €20k

I could understand if it was a STi but would need to be tested too though to be looking for such a high price but that is just a WRX.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I could understand if it was a STi but would need to be tested too though to be looking for such a high price but that is just a WRX.

What’s that one realistically worth? About a quarter of the current asking?

In and around that. And personally if I was paying even a quarter of asking I would be looking for a full NCT to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Surely an sti is only worth around the 10k mark

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Surely an sti is only worth around the 10k mark

Wouldn't be worth 20k but with test it would be worth more than 10k but maybe €17-18k. It is a classic car after all and not far left to go till it's 56 a year to tax. But that would be for a STi model if it looked the same and was the same age. As it looks clean in pics for age.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I always liked the Scoobies, though preferred the Mitzis. Over the years I've heard from mechanics that they can be quite troublesome for a Japanese car as the miles pile on. I dunno if that's just campfire chat though? You'd think if the seller was serious they'd clean up the interior and underbonnet. The wheel jumped out at me. Badly. That could be tarted up, as could the engine bay. Give it a service and fire it through the NCT. Never mind spellcheck the ad and give more details. That's the part I don't get with many of these ads, especially for the more niche stuff. Not so much the prices alone, but the prices and crappy presentation and descriptions.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭useless

€8275 for a 14 year old Golf GTi. Ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

He must still think it's 2010 because he's put it in the buy and sell too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

Only hope of that kind of money would be an Edition 30, which it ain't.
    Be lucky to get a third of the asking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭useless

He must still think it's 2010 because he's put it in the buy and sell too :pac:

I found it in the Irish Times. Possibly a staff member or on mates rates because a colour photo ad in their classifieds isn’t cheap...

The last place I would look when looking to buy a car is a newspaper. Unless of course back years ago when you would look in the buy and sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

useless wrote: »
    €8275 for a 14 year old Golf GTi. Ambitious.

Has it fallen over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

20k is absolute lunacy but price aside I think it looks fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ciano35 wrote: »

To be fair the car looks immaculate, but 20k is a bit excessive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Holy ****e that's insanity a luke warm car in its day not received well and now it's some sort of hot hatch legend lol

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

Price is crazy. But to be honest it does look brand new. Nice reg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Somebody was sniffing the glue if they think the are getting 20 grand for that.

Its a 6 grand car in the UK. Allowing for the low mileage, even 10,000 euro is optimistic.

Nobody wants them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Jesus that 206 looks like a 3k car to me but the milage suggests maybe 5 to 6... But 20 is crack smoking territory. It's barely even a "hot hatch" those were all in the 90s and early 00s, that's a yoke NOBODY wants. Imagine the multiple cool cars you could get with 20k.

People are wheeling everything out of sheds lately and asking the world for them. Wait a few months, there's a recession coming like never before and these asking prices will disappear. Youd be mad to buy any sort of car like that at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Would a 205GTi even go for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Vicxas wrote: »

Would I pay more than 3k for it, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Vicxas wrote: »
    I saw 2 on donedeal recently - UK registered 1.9 asking £20k and an Irish registered
    1.6 asking €10k.

Now whether they're achieving those prices is an entirely different thing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Classic auctions have a lot to answer for as far as people believing cray cray prices. So yes a couple of 205GTi's may have gone for 30-40k at auction, but they were like new with half a mile on the odometer, shrink wrap on the seats, original everything and a wild night with a Parisian supermodel thrown in. And they were at auction where all it takes is two yahoos with more cash than sense having a willie waving contest with auction batons to drive them to mad "values".

Some bloke reads about that and drags his rusty 25 owner 205 out of a barn in Wicklow, with added chicken poo, that hasn't started since Oasis had their first single and mileage that suggests it followed Neil Armstrong to the moon. And back. He then reckons ah shure they're a classic collectable therefore it must be worth at least 25k. So he details it with a hose and fairy liquid, takes awful pics with his phone, types up an ad in something approaching english, but not quite, fires it up on Donedeal and then can't understand why his phone isn't hopping.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

The price of 90s jap performance cars has gone ballistic in the last year. That cars probably worth 10-14 depending on condition.

And the ads gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Wibbs wrote: »
    Classic auctions have a lot to answer for as far as people believing cray cray prices. So yes a couple of 205GTi's may have gone for 30-40k at auction, but they were like new with half a mile on the odometer, shrink wrap on the seats, original everything and a wild night with a Parisian supermodel thrown in. And they were at auction where all it takes is two yahoos with more cash than sense having a willie waving contest with auction batons to drive them to mad "values".

Some bloke reads about that and drags his rusty 25 owner 205 out of a barn in Wicklow, with added chicken poo, that hasn't started since Oasis had their first single and mileage that suggests it followed Neil Armstrong to the moon. And back. He then reckons ah shure they're a classic collectable therefore it must be worth at least 25k. So he details it with a hose and fairy liquid, takes awful pics with his phone, types up an ad in something approaching english, but not quite, fires it up on Donedeal and then can't understand why his phone isn't hopping.

Has to be post of the year, I’m cracking here:pac::pac: Detailed with a hose and fairy liquid :D

Advertisement