Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New apprentiships

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

mariaalice wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/apprenticeships-to-hit-10-000-a-year-under-new-plan-1.4540738

A brilliant idea as it is Europe-wide for the apprentice.

A lot of the apprenticeships are going to be in the public service.

Would they not be as far on getting through the backlog of apprentices already registered?
    Will Europe wide exchanges etc apply to current apprentices?

Better living everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Duck duck Graham

Would they not be as far on getting through the backlog of apprentices already registered?
    Will Europe wide exchanges etc apply to current apprentices?

I'm pretty sure it's just for future apprentices .
    Seems the only apprentices who started over the last two years are in backlog, good for apprentices starting over the next couple of months it will be back to normally by then .

I'm pretty sure it's just for future apprentices .
    Seems the only apprentices who started over the last two years are in backlog, good for apprentices starting over the next couple of months it will be back to normally by then .

Im afraid not. Im soon to start my 2nd year while another apprentice along with us is due to start his third year soon too and neither of us have much hope of getting called soon. There are 21 apprentices being expected to be called this year in our trade due to Covid and in part due to less of an uptake in our trade compared to electrical/plumbing. Its strange the way they can announce travel for these apprentices but they cant seem to get us into an IT here to complete our phases.

As apprentices weve worked through the pandemic (a lot of us for less than the PUP) and still were being held back through no fault of our own. Luckily enough our employer increases our rate as we progress through the years not phases but again not all employers will increaee the wage either.

I reckon if there was as much of a delay with third level education there would be a bit more of a commotion. Havent heard of student teachers and the like being held up yet.

Better living everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Duck duck Graham

Im afraid not. Im soon to start my 2nd year while another apprentice along with us is due to start his third year soon too and neither of us have much hope of getting called soon. There are 21 apprentices being expected to be called this year in our trade due to Covid and in part due to less of an uptake in our trade compared to electrical/plumbing. Its strange the way they can announce travel for these apprentices but they cant seem to get us into an IT here to complete our phases.

As apprentices weve worked through the pandemic (a lot of us for less than the PUP) and still were being held back through no fault of our own. Luckily enough our employer increases our rate as we progress through the years not phases but again not all employers will increaee the wage either.

I reckon if there was as much of a delay with third level education there would be a bit more of a commotion. Havent heard of student teachers and the like being held up yet.

Plenty of electrical apprenticeship getting called here in mercury. It's all online now for the time being. I have not heard of many companies that wouldn't pay there proper salary, if a company did that there would be up rear and no apprentices would work for them again. Main thing is the salary I know a few which are getting mortgages and there on there 3rd year as a apprenticeship.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

mariaalice wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/apprenticeships-to-hit-10-000-a-year-under-new-plan-1.4540738

A brilliant idea as it is Europe-wide for the apprentice.

A lot of the apprenticeships are going to be in the public service.

It's more a case of playing catch-up with Europe than anything else. Even now it is possible for any EU/EEA/CH 18 year old to take up an apprenticeship in Europe and have the qualification recognized. But the problem is that unlike college education, most of the instruction and work is in the local language so you need be able to speak German/French/Italian etc at about C1 to be consider.

Here in Switzerland it's unusual to go to college, an apprenticeship is the route most young people take. And every year apprenticeship positions go unfilled because there are not enough young people available. Employers would be only too happy to hear from young Irish people if they meet the minimum requirements to be able to attend the apprenticeship schools.

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    It's more a case of playing catch-up with Europe than anything else. Even now it is possible for any EU/EEA/CH 18 year old to take up an apprenticeship in Europe and have the qualification recognized. But the problem is that unlike college education, most of the instruction and work is in the local language so you need be able to speak German/French/Italian etc at about C1 to be consider.

Here in Switzerland it's unusual to go to college, an apprenticeship is the route most young people take. And every year apprenticeship positions go unfilled because there are not enough young people available. Employers would be only too happy to hear from young Irish people if they meet the minimum requirements to be able to attend the apprenticeship schools.

Any idea how a fella would go about finding out more about finishing there trade on the continent? Coming to the end of my first year here.

Better living everyone

Advertisement