Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Currys PC World - faulty product and NIGHTMARE with customer service.

• 14-04-2021 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm absolutely exasperated with the experience I'm having with Currys PC World.

A kitchen appliance barely six months old developed a fault in February. After using their email contact form, I got zero reply. Contacted Twitter customer support. Finally, at the start of March, I got a Twitter response and they arranged pickup for a replacement.

- Queried the return on 11th March by email, they said it had been collected and would update me.
    - Queried the return on 24th March by email, they said they'd escalate it and would update me.
    - Queried the return on 9th April on Twitter, they said they'd check what's happening
    - Queried the return today (14th April) on Twitter, and...

I received a reply telling me that they have no record the item was returned to their warehouse.

I sent a screenshot of my email on 11th March where they acknowledged collection of the product ("I have checked our records and see that the item has since been collected. You will be contacted as soon as an update is available.").

Their reply? "neither of these emails do confirm that we have received the goods back into our warehouse". Now they're going to do a Lost in Transit investigation which could take another few weeks, while I'm left without any resolution AGAIN.

What can I do here? I'm at the end of my rope with them, and the blatant lies about email confirmations from them is making me so upset and frustrated. If there was any issues about the product not being back with them, they've had a month to follow this up. And how can I responsible if they've messed up with their couriers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

you have contacted customer service and are unhappy with the service, yes? have you followed their complaint procedure, and made an official complaint yet?

if not that is the next step. lay out what the issue is, delay in sorting replacement item, and set a deadline for having the issue dealt with. say 2 weeks. Explain that you have been waiting X weeks, and are without a working appliance and that if it replacement cannot be arranged within that timeframe you want a full refund.

keep a copy of all correspondence.

if they fail to resolve your complaint your next step would be to threaten to take them to small claims court. SCC requires you have to have followed the complaint procedure with the retailer before brinng to court, so even if you have little confidance with retailer you must to attempt to resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bleepbloop7

Yeah I used the CPCC template letter to state my concerns under the law and that I wanted a resolution within two weeks. That was the one sent on 24th March, and all I got was the "we'll be in contact" response. And then today's farce.

I guess Small Claims Court is the only avenue then? I just can't understand the heartache around it, should've been a simple replacement.

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

weigh up in your mind if its worth sending a final correspondence to them stating the two weeks is up, and nothing has been resolved, and that only today your got an unsatisfactory response. As a result you now intent to take SCC action as you feel they have not resolved your issue ina reasonable time frame. IE one last mail with threat of SCC.

i think you have nothing to lose here sending a last mail. They will ignore you, or respond. - it will only add to your court evidence, if they ignore you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

I had the same issue with Currys, and in the end had to initiate a cashback and tweet that I had done so, before they would take action. Got a E30 voucher from them and have since purchased a dishwasher, but not from Currys! Hell would freeze over before I used them again!!

Anyway - is a cashback an option here?

By cashback, do you mean doing a chargeback with my bank on the item?

• Advertisement

Sorry yes - A chargeback if you paid by Visa or credit card.

Never thought of that, I really feel like I'm in last-resort territory after two months. Might have to give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Chargeback isn't viable in a case like this. The bank won't process it.

seagull wrote: »

Not true. I had exactly the same issue with Currys. After being fobbed off and pushed from pillar to post, I called my bank in desperation. I told them the story, what happened, when and who I spoke to. They agreed to initiate a chargeback, and gave me a ref no. advising me to e-mail customer services quoting that number and telling them the bank would be getting back the money.

I then tweeted I had done this to Currys, followed it up with a DM with the details. I got my replacement machine in 3 days. Funny - to date, they have never replied to nor acknowledged my e-mail, but they did take action. Only after 6 weeks of constant calls, tweets and e-mail...

Currys are truly atrocious, and I wouldn't give them another penny of my hard-earned.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some people on here have managed to argue odd not-as-described style bases for chargebacks before - but its not easy; probably a hell of a lot harder more recently; and anyway - its significantly too long ago. Chargeback time limit is 120 from agreed date of delivery for the initial item/service, this is going to be >200 days from that now.

• Advertisement

seagull wrote: »

Just a quick follow-up - as you said, no dice with the chargeback. The time limit factor was the reason.

Still in no-man's land with Curry's while they look for the missing returned item (that they confirmed had been picked up in an email on 11th March, remember). No replacement or refund, just "you'll have to wait for our investigation to take place". I've never been treated so poorly by a company in all my life.

A final follow-up - the day after my above message, I received an automated refund email from Currys, which was received today. No further information on what happened to the returned item, no idea if my meddling made them give a refund to get rid of me.

Lesson learned, no more buying items with Currys! (Ordered a replacement on Amazon instead.)

Advertisement