Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

There is plenty arrogant dealers which hardly move them arses trying understand that the harder they work the more money they get and the less they answer the less interest buyer has.

Years ago I wanted to get an automatic 7 seater. Mrs and Mr Grogi ventured to Renault asking for a brand new one 1,5 G.Scenic. I wanted to give it a proper spin, see how the box behaves, how nippy it overall is.

Understandingly, as it is a low demand car, they didn't have a demo. They did however have a used one in the showroom. I asked to test drive this one, as the same gearbox/engine combination was in it, still expressing interest in getting a new one (they had good PCP and scrappage deals). Apparently it was blocked, so they would need to get it out later in the day. Took my details and that was what I have ever heart from them.

Week later I was test driving C4 G.Picasso. Contrary to Renault, the local Citroen dealer was very accomodating, we got one for a few hours. I liked it, I signed next day. Still with us.

Very similar story when I wanted to have a look at Zoe. They just couldn't be bothered. Got Leaf for 24h, didn't buy it though for ergonomic reasons.

Well,finally got my car from seller I was previously dealing about.200 I paid straight away and paid the rest 10 minutes after did not even checking the car.Huge respect to him he spent all day on road trying to sell his car !
    I did not try dealing aboit price because price was good enough.
    We decided not spend 10K for car made in 2013
    We simply decided buy 2010 car for 3K and keep the 7K for repairs.
    Believe me guys if we will spend additional 7K on 2010 car we will get far way better car then for 10K made in 2013.
    Think about it before buy car for 10K
    Because buying car for 10K there is no garantee you will not have spend another 3K for repairs

Because buying car for 10K there is no garantee you will not have spend another 3K for repairs

Typically there is only 30% of price difference for 3 years difference between otherwise identical cars.

In this case we are probably talking about tax difference as well, with the 2007 car being a tad higher tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

Quick question lads, I am selling a car and I am going to send the logbook away but if I have another log book from a new car purchase can I send both in one envelope?

Quick question lads, I am selling a car and I am going to send the logbook away but if I have another log book from a new car purchase can I send both in one envelope?

Sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s freepost either way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Putting up my 2012 BMW 320d very soon, but today, the front drivers side window regulator decided to crap out. Is it worth my time/money to fix it before putting up for sale? Sorry if a silly question, just have a new car coming and not too bothered about investing any more into the old motor than I already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭User1998

It would be worth doing because who ever buys it will want a discount to get it fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep, a buyer not put off by the fact it's broke will use it as a haggling tool to beat down the price. Your always going to be on a weaker footing selling it with something obviously broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 murph207

removed

• Advertisement

Yakult wrote: »
    Putting up my 2012 BMW 320d very soon, but today, the front drivers side window regulator decided to crap out. Is it worth my time/money to fix it before putting up for sale? Sorry if a silly question, just have a new car coming and not too bothered about investing any more into the old motor than I already have.
    Simply describe what has to be fixed.I would not try beat price down if description is accurate.More,I would choose your car making final decision.I will never buy any car described as in perfect condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭User1998

Broken window regulators are just a sign of poor ownership to me. If your not bothered to fix a window theres a chance your not bothered about changing the oil either

User1998 wrote: »
    Broken window regulators are just a sign of poor ownership to me. If your not bothered to fix a window theres a chance your not bothered about changing the oil either
    I changed my window regulator only when I did not pass NCT but I was always replacing oil more often then manufacturer recommend.
    Also,I was always putting top class oil.
    But each time when I bought spotless car in perfect condition I got perfectly cleaned crap with working window regulators.Once I got spent extra 200 fo solicitor to get my money back for car with 3 months warranty which did not make more than 100 km per hour.
    After that I decided buy cheapest car with broken window regulators and keep difference for repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Whats the best way to sell a car if you want to sell it on a specific date, say in 4 to 6 weeks? Assume private sale is out. So take a hit on the price and sell to a dealer in order to dictate the sale date?

What’s the approx value of this car?

Id be happy with 9k, maybe slightly less. Similar cars are advertised for more, but of course dont know what they sell for.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

What is the car. Year, mileage, etc

2017 Nissan Note 1.2 Pet XE
    Coming up to 25000km
    Owned since new, FSH with Nissan.
    2 front tyres replaced at 23500km (about 6 months ago)
    NCT till 01/23. Tax till 12/21.
    Still have 6 months left on the manufacturer's extended warrantee I got when I bought it.

I dropped in to the Nissan dealer I bought it from on thursday, they seemed interested since they didnt have any on their forecourt (their words, not mine), said they would call back with an offer that afternoon but didnt. Might just drop in to them again tomorrow morning and see where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭dubliniift

There is plenty arrogant dealers which hardly move them arses trying understand that the harder they work the more money they get and the less they answer the less interest buyer has
    I found motor from one as they call Independent Dealer on donedeal toady
    Nothing fancy and straight forward deal.
    I rung to dealer ,he did not answer his phone what is normal for Sunday
    I sent message were I told that I would like go forward if delivery will be organized due with 5 km Covid rule
    I said I am happy about what I getting for my money,did not asking him about timing belts/tyres/ because all what was needed for me is properly running car for that kind of money
    I described my interest clearly and I said I am happy pay asked price plus 160 delivery charge which I accepted also

The guy said he is not gonna deliver until money paid to him .He is not even gona deliver if I will pay him 160 euros before car will be brought down for viewing.
    From my side having experience with dodgy dealerships before I am not gona pay money to unknown person for car which I did not see
    At the moment dealer play smart and treat me as time waster when I am at same time looking for another car from another dealer

The price of the deal 3K which can be paid by cash no problem

I hope recession coming will change thinking of some sellers
    For example there was about 75K cars 2 months ago on Donedeal
    Now about 81 K ! And prices started falling already

interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭dubliniift

4k-5k looking for a decent Automatic. Pref with history of service. Valid recent NCT please.

• Advertisement

dubliniift wrote: »
    4k-5k looking for a decent Automatic. Pref with history of service. Valid recent NCT please.

Nobody does not sell good car
    The good car stay in family or offered to good friends
    When seller does not want have problem he sell it on market
    If you want good car buy cheapest on market and keep difference for repair

Dont even know where to start with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Dont even know where to start with that!

Would you not have a go anyway, lol :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Looking for some advice on selling my car.

Long story short, I'm emigrating, leaving on July 11th and I need to sell my car.

I've never owned a car worth this much, and as a result, never sold one worth this much. Car in question is a 142 Lexus CT200h. It's a luxury model, so keyless entry, leather seats, some nice extras over s/advance models.

The question is, when do I list it? I'd really rather it was gone before I leave, but worst case scenario, my dad could sell it. I don't want to leave my family carless if it sells quickly, so it's not like I can just sell it next week either?

Regardless of when to list it, any other advice when sellling a car like this privately? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There really is no accurate answer to that. You could put it up next week and sell it within days or you could be waiting ages for a buyer. Same thing no matter when you list it.

Similar position, albeit a cheaper car, posted a page or 2 back looking for similar advice.

Had it with the dealer I bought it from brand new 4 years ago. After they did a full inspection they told me I could advertise for nearly 10k, get maybe 9k or 9.5k.
    But then I would have to advertise now and be happy if it went now.
    If I want to sell it to them and pick the date then they will only offer me 7k.

I also used the joeduffy website valuation thing where you upload photos and put some info in. They only offered 6.1k subject to full inspection.

Just to give you an idea of the hit you can be expected to take if you arent willing to sell private and live with the possible inconvenience of no car, or car not sold by the time you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

bazz26 wrote: »
    There really is no accurate answer to that. You could put it up next week and sell it within days or you could be waiting ages for a buyer. Same thing no matter when you list it.

I know it's kinda 'how long is a piece of string'...

Jacovs wrote: »
    Similar position, albeit a cheaper car, posted a page or 2 back looking for similar advice.

Had it with the dealer I bought it from brand new 4 years ago. After they did a full inspection they told me I could advertise for nearly 10k, get maybe 9k or 9.5k.
    But then I would have to advertise now and be happy if it went now.
    If I want to sell it to them and pick the date then they will only offer me 7k.

I also used the joeduffy website valuation thing where you upload photos and put some info in. They only offered 6.1k subject to full inspection.

Just to give you an idea of the hit you can be expected to take if you arent willing to sell private and live with the possible inconvenience of no car, or car not sold by the time you leave.

This is really great advice, appreciate the insight - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would sell it as soon as you can, get it valeted so it looks as good as you can get it to look.
    Then advertise it well and sell it, if you need a car after that time rent one!
    Much easier to rent a car for the occasional time you need one than be stuck with a car that is in a different country to you.
    If you do leave it with your father , sign the logbook before you leave.

My own plan, now I know what a dealer offered me, is to get it cleaned properly and then put it up online a week or 2 before. If I can get 9k, 8k or even 7.5k inside that week or 2 then happy days. If not, just take the hit and give it to the dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

My car hasn't been driven or taxed since the end of march....if i sell it does the new owner have to pay arrears on the tax?

Advertisement