Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interview Notes

• 19-04-2021 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

When taking candidate interview notes, is it nescessary to write the question asked by interviewers followed by the interviewee's answers? Im presuming not, but does anyone on here know for sure?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I am me123 wrote: »
    When taking candidate interview notes, is it nescessary to write the question asked by interviewers followed by the interviewee's answers? Im presuming not, but does anyone on here know for sure?
    Thank you.

We do because the interviewers dont have to ask all the questions on the competencies. If it's not a competency based interview I still would in case a candidate asked for feedback later or there was any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

There are best practices in interviewing and things HR will push for to pre-emptively protect the company from issues in the WRC but there is no rock solid answer as far as I'm aware to what you're asking. The notes can be requested through GDPR now but I've never heard of anyone requesting them.

In general the big thing we were told was to ask the same questions to all the candidates for a role to prove that we weren't softballing some candidates. If you do this, you shouldn't need to write the answers as the questions in general will follow the same format/pattern.

If you're asking as the person taking minutes of an interview, like a secretary for example, I'd suggest adding the question, more info is generally better than less. But I think the answer here really is tied to your own organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Haven't heard of a candidate ever requesting the notes however they have asked for feedback. One of the interviewers requested the notes and so having the questions followed by the answers written down was useful.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

RedXIV wrote: »
    There are best practices in interviewing and things HR will push for to pre-emptively protect the company from issues in the WRC but there is no rock solid answer as far as I'm aware to what you're asking. The notes can be requested through GDPR now but I've never heard of anyone requesting them.

Once the interview process is completed, you have no legal right to retain the notes in respect of unsuccessful candidates.

We were always required to confirm to HR that we had destroyed everything at the end of the process with respect to unsuccessful candidates. And in fact the rejection email contained a confirmation to the candidate that we retrained no such data.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Once the interview process is completed, you have no legal right to retain the notes in respect of unsuccessful candidates.

We were always required to confirm to HR that we had destroyed everything at the end of the process with respect to unsuccessful candidates. And in fact the rejection email contained a confirmation to the candidate that we retrained no such data.

Interviewing companies have the right to retain the notes.

But you don't have an obligation to. And if you do retain them, you have an obligation to treat them as personal data.

Hence, most companies say "don't make" or "don't retain"

• Advertisement
Advertisement