Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upgrading Home Network

Options
  • 13-05-2020 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

Existing network:

I have a Huewai B552 router with a synology blackarmour 220 nas connected (in an upstairs bedroom).
    I also have an older dovodo router connected with cat 5 in a downstairs kitchen/diningroom, as an AP. This has worked fine up until now.

Mostly using the nas as a backup/archive for all my photos and videos. Recently I've for some reason lost connection with the web interface of the nas, though I can still back up to it, its also only 4TB Raid 1 so space is starting to run out!

What I want to do:

With more time on my hands now, I want to set up a home media center. Put all my dvd collection onto the network (over 200 dvd's....I think)
    I have a new synology DS218 play with 2 x 3TB seagate drives on the way, should do me for a few years. I've been looking into plex too.

I used to be able to watch sky on a portable tv in kitchen, until the sky box was updated to sky + a good few years ago. It only has a coax connection, so I'll probably buy a new flat panal tv for there, its next to the dovodo router.

What I hope to do, and need advise if this is correct.

All dvd collection on the new nas running on plex. How to connect to tv in sittingroom? Sky box in sitting room just connected to that tv via HDMI, going to put a 4 way HDMI splitter here and run HDMI cable to new tv in kitchen/bedrooms. How to view movie collection on tv's, can I connect to RJ45? TV only has HDMI ports, usb and 2 scart sockets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

First I would wonder why you would go with running HDMI cables from a splitter ....... does this provide you with some function not easily got by other means?
    Have you considered a HDMI to DVB device and put the Skybox output on the coax as a new TV channel?
    This post shows how I had this connected
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108671297&postcount=41

You should get some ideas from that thread on alternative methods of distributing media in the home.
    Yes it is a long thread, but it does somewhat detail what I went through - thought process, reasoning and decision making - to get to where I am happy with the result, and have been since then.

If, having read that thread you wish to know anymore about my set up then just ask.

I don't use Plex ..... all my devices run Kodi, so cannot comment on Plex use specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Get a Fire TV stick for each tv and connect over wifi on the 5Ghz band.(although for SD content you'll probably be fine on 2.4Ghz too)

Get the 4k version of the stick. Even if you're only displaying SD content the performance of the interface is miles better than the standard version.
    Best bang for buck streaming stick you can buy and usually go on sale for about £35 if you're willing to wait for a sale.

Download the plex app and you're good to go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Thanks guys for the replies, its really appreciated! This really has me a bit stumped, have read through a load of threads but its just confusing me more:o

Sorry for only replying now, have been doing a bit of work around the house, and being a full time carer, a job that used take me a day now takes 3 to get it done!

I've done a bit of a sketch to try explain my setup a little clearer. I had an old skybox which was connected to 3 locations via coax. After upgrading 10yrs ago to the sky+, I lost those connections as the box now only connected via hdmi. My thinking was that I had to run hdmi to my dinning room tv (which I bought a new smart 24" for). That's the reason for running hdmi to there, via a spliter at sky box. The tv in sitting room I'm adding a android T95 4GB box.

I have all locations connected to the home network via cat 5. I'm in the process of uploading all my DVD & Cd collection to the server. I've also set up a free plex account (and learning how to set it up on youtube).

I'm now also wondering, seeing as I've the smart tv in the dinning room, could an indoor arial be good enough to get saorview on that tv? Unfortunately I got rid of the old rooftop arial 20yrs ago when I changed the sky dish.

Thanks again for you help, normally I'd be pretty good for figuring things out but getting this set up is really stumping me a bit:o

Home-media-setup.png

Advertisement