Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Just thinking it’s 12 degrees outside now. What temperature was it in Ireland on Christmas Day last?

Reached 13C in parts, today was slightly warmer but the past few days have been colder at several locations. Finner was a full 3C warmer on Christmas Day than on Wednesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

We have warmer Christmas days than we get in summer with the sun blazing in the sky...it dosnt make sense...the extra strength in the sun makes no difference here in ireland :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Should we maybe protest outside the Dail or something? This is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pad199207 wrote: »
    When was the last time we had two fantastic summers back to back?

This year feels like we are paying dearly for the fabulous one last year.

1983-84 maybe. 1989-90 were a good pair but 1990 was not that great in the west (exceptionally dull in August with Belmullet having 38% of its average August sunshine) and June 1990 was a very poor month everywhere. 1995-96 and 2013-14 were good too though Augusts in 1996 and especially 2014 were poorer.

1975-76 were the only examples of back to back summers that I'd call truly fantastic and legendary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

sryanbruen wrote: »
    1983-84 maybe. 1989-90 were a good pair but 1990 was not that great in the west (exceptionally dull in August with Belmullet having 38% of its average August sunshine) and June 1990 was a very poor month everywhere. 1995-96 and 2013-14 were good too though Augusts in 1996 and especially 2014 were poorer.

1975-76 were the only examples of back to back summers that I'd call truly fantastic and legendary.

How good was 75-76 Sryan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The GFS earlier today showed no Max Temperature greater than 19C up until the end of the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

1995 from memory had a strong high pressure system in the Bay of Biscay feeding a glorious summer here, sun from late June to the end of September. Now we have a low pressure system from the same bay feeding us terrible weather for June! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

outlook for the next 2 weeks looks very poor, not just for us but also for all of the UK, northern half of France as well as the low countries and western Scandinavia, part of northern Spain not doing great either, so this low pressure causing a very unseasonable June to quite a large portion of northern and western Europe.

The south of Europe (except for Spain and Portugal) and eastern Europe are in store for a sizzling June.

We need this northern blocking to weaken as we head towards July, the thing that worries me is such a setup can last a long time, so if we still have this pattern in July, then this could be very worrying signs for the summer. Fingers crossed this northern blocking weakens in the second half of this month.

How good was 75-76 Sryan?

Both summers featured a blocking area of high pressure that was of a frequent influence throughout them as shown by the comparison of their 500mb height anomaly reanalysis (from NOAA) below (the brighter the colours (green, yellow, orange, red), the more intense the high pressure was). You can see the centre of the anticyclone was almost over top of Ireland and in the case of 1976, the UK and Ireland had the most intense area of high pressure (compared to average) in the northern hemisphere.

In some summers you tend to find a trough of low pressure stuck over top of Ireland whilst everywhere surrounding us has high pressure whether it's central and southern Europe or Greenland. However, 1976 was a rare opposite example to that (as was 1995) with omega blocking resulting in minimal cyclonic weather. 1975 wasn't quite as high pressure dominated but I mean, it's hardly one to be joked at like it was still very anticyclonic.

7JMTMD5.png

In fact, the UK & Ireland were nearly the warmest relative to average during Summer 1976 in the entire world according to NASA GISS. Anomalies from average typically between 1-2c above average but isolated locations could have been 2c above average or more. The only summer that has beaten 1976 for most places is Summer 1995. 1947, 1983, 2006 and 2018 were other comparable very warm summers but just not quite reaching the levels of 1976 and 1995.

Uyxh3NN.png

Both summers reached at least 30c at one point in their season whilst the actual max for 1975 was 31.5c on August 3rd (the joint highest August temperature on record for Ireland with 1995) and 1976 had 32.5c on June 29th (highest temperature for Ireland of the 20th century and second highest known on record). May 1975 was a record sunny May (holding the Irish May record of 289.6 hrs of sun).

Data from Met Éireann.

According to the Irish Rainfall series by Maynooth University, Summers 1976 and 1975 were the 7th and 8th driest summers on record for Ireland back to 1711 (as far as the series goes back) respectively with 136.9mm and 139.2mm of rain (again respectively). This compares with 131.0mm in Summer 1995 so not a huge difference with 1975 and 1976.

More on Summer 1976 in my little slideshow I made last year and posted in the heatwave thread (shown below in case you missed).
    Lots of comparisons will be made with this heatwave to 1976 and as a result, I have made this video to give you an insight into the Summer of 1976.

It was the year that ABBA was number one on the charts and Denis Howell was appointed Minister for Drought (but was followed by thunderstorms and a very wet Autumn).

Enjoy!

I have not come across a pair of summers that quite match the level of 1975-76. Both years reached at least 30c/31c in Ireland, both were exceptionally dry and both were very sunny.

Both summers featured a blocking area of high pressure that was of a frequent influence throughout them as shown by the comparison of their 500mb height anomaly reanalysis (from NOAA) below (the brighter the colours (green, yellow, orange, red), the more intense the high pressure was). You can see the centre of the anticyclone was almost over top of Ireland and in the case of 1976, the UK and Ireland had the most intense area of high pressure (compared to average) in the northern hemisphere.

In some summers you tend to find a trough of low pressure stuck over top of Ireland whilst everywhere surrounding us has high pressure whether it's central and southern Europe or Greenland. However, 1976 was a rare opposite example to that (as was 1995) with omega blocking resulting in minimal cyclonic weather. 1975 wasn't quite as high pressure dominated but I mean, it's hardly one to be joked at like it was still very anticyclonic.

7JMTMD5.png

In fact, the UK & Ireland were nearly the warmest relative to average during Summer 1976 in the entire world according to NASA GISS. Anomalies from average typically between 1-2c above average but isolated locations could have been 2c above average or more. The only summer that has beaten 1976 for most places is Summer 1995. 1947, 1983, 2006 and 2018 were other comparable very warm summers but just not quite reaching the levels of 1976 and 1995.

Uyxh3NN.png

Both summers reached at least 30c at one point in their season whilst the actual max for 1975 was 31.5c on August 3rd (the joint highest August temperature on record for Ireland with 1995) and 1976 had 32.5c on June 29th (highest temperature for Ireland of the 20th century and second highest known on record). May 1975 was a record sunny May (holding the Irish May record of 289.6 hrs of sun).

Data from Met Éireann.

According to the Irish Rainfall series by Maynooth University, Summers 1976 and 1975 were the 7th and 8th driest summers on record for Ireland back to 1711 (as far as the series goes back) respectively with 136.9mm and 139.2mm of rain (again respectively). This compares with 131.0mm in Summer 1995 so not a huge difference with 1975 and 1976.

More on Summer 1976 in my little slideshow I made last year and posted in the heatwave thread (shown below in case you missed).

I have not come across a pair of summers that quite match the level of 1975-76. Both years reached at least 30c/31c in Ireland, both were exceptionally dry and both were very sunny.

Superb thanks a million

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

wish I could remember the summers of 75 and 76, but I was still in a pram at that stage.

Last year I started BBQ season end of April and it continued into early October. By this time last year, I had cooked on the BBQ well over 20 times.

This year I had my first BBQ during Easter, back in April and that's been the only one. I was close to having a BBQ end of February when I was outside wearing a T-shirt for the day. I had none in May as it was far too chilly. It's beginning to look like there won't be any BBQ's this June which would be a first for me.

Friend of mine at a game tonight about 15 miles north of here said the rain was torrential game match nearly abandoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

The_Brood wrote: »
    Was looking at weather around the world. There is pretty much no place on the planet that is colder than Ireland right now. A few, like Iceland, are similar temperature, maybe one or two degrees cooler. But in general, almost nowhere on the planet with a human population is it seriously colder than it is here.

https://www.yr.no/place/Chile/Magallanes_y_Ant%C3%A1rtica/Galpones/

Chilly in Chile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Very cool this evening. Getting a bad feeling about this summer already. 13, 15, 18 were nice so we're probably due a poor one.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

Checking in after long time,had moved to Slovakia in December after 14 years in west Wicklow, to summarise weather here we had an OK December,few days of snowfall but thaw around Christmas,January was quite snowy with temperatures around 1981-2010 average then very mind February and very sunny March but not cold,we had a lot of dust and drought already at the begining of April, then NAO flipped to negative and we had very windy cold but sunny end of April, May was one of the coldest and wettest here since 1991, abysmal, since about week and a half summer has finally arrived with tax.temps of 22-26C and few heavy thunderstorms, now the static low pressure around Ireland will advect hot and dry weather here with 28-32C and blue skies forecast for next 7-10 days. Off to a thermal swimming pool today to cool down a bit of which we have plenty around here and Hungary. Because of exceptionally wet May here we have a lush green landscape on surrounding natural parks which reminds me of beloved Wicklow meadows, must say there were few ****ty weeks overall but I love continental climate,feel sorry for summer lovers in Ireland looking at charts as they reminded me of June 2012 when I lived in apartment in Tallaght,felt miserable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I walked into the bathroom at 7 am and the tiles were cold underfoot . Thats my measure of how cold it is !

Just back in from 10 mile run stiff breeze temp about 12-13 degrees. River quite high and fast flowing and ground wet. Early October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

13.4c breezy and sunny in Arklow
    The ground is dry here though

cool and dry here in Meath, looks dry over next hour or two, but showers will most likely be here during the afternoon and evening.

Very showery morning in East Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Dry this morning in cork city with sunny breaks in the cloud, not too chilly either

Edit: Jinxed it! Just had one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

The missus wants me to turn the heat on (I turn it off apr-oct every year). Told her if she's cold take the kids to her mother's house. I now have the weekend to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Well f*ck this weather anyway, sun burning the skin off me here in cork and next the heavens open with a downpour wtf?

Heavens have opened here now. For us lovers of proper summer weather this is horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

judeboy101 wrote: »
    The missus wants me to turn the heat on (I turn it off apr-oct every year). Told her if she's cold take the kids to her mother's house. I now have the weekend to myself.

Everyone I talk to has the heating on this week and fires lighting.

Heavens have opened here now. For us lovers of proper summer weather this is horrendous.

It's not that bad. At least there are spells of sun and it's warm in it.

Next week is looking similar to June 2007 with intense blocking continuing to our west and keeping the west of Ireland largely settled but chance of rain in the south and east. England and Wales look like they’re in for a deluge.

MidMan25 wrote: »

Matter of opinion I guess. We’ve the heating on every night it’s breezy today and very showery. Wouldn’t call it warm at all. Warm to me is 20 degrees plus. 15 degrees I’m afraid in June to me is cool.

Next week is looking similar to June 2007 with intense blocking continuing to our west and keeping the west of Ireland largely settled but chance of rain in the south and east. England and Wales look like they’re in for a deluge.

How is North West France looking Sryan?

• Advertisement

MidMan25 wrote: »

Matter of opinion I guess. We’ve the heating on every night it’s breezy today and very showery. Wouldn’t call it warm at all. Warm to me is 20 degrees plus. 15 degrees I’m afraid in June to me is cool.

Theres plenty of heat in the sun. It might be 15 degrees but it doesn't feel like 15 degrees ud get in March.

Advertisement