Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

oddly enough today was probably one of the warmest days of the year so far here in Meath, mostly dry afternoon with sunny spells, certainly windy. Fully cloudy now and some spits of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Amazing double rainbow here earlier around 630pm Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭OldRio

Wind and rain. Heating on and lights on at half past eight. FFS in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

OldRio wrote: »
    Wind and rain. Heating on and lights on at half past eight. FFS in June.

The wind this evening in east Galway was worse than ANYTHING in winter
    The only stronger winds were for the orange warning in April

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Squally Showers now with clouds racing across the sky. Looks and feels like 5pm on a stormy day in December FFS

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pad199207 wrote: »
    Squally Showers now with clouds racing across the sky. Looks and feels like 5pm on a stormy day in December FFS

unfortunately it's about to get worse this week. Loads of showers, rain, very cool temperatures and possible flood warnings later in the week. The first week of June won't look out of place in December or January, except for the longer daylight hours and lack of frosts.

Hopefully we will have payoff with a decent July and August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Gonzo wrote: »
    unfortunately it's about to get worse this week. Loads of showers, rain, very cool temperatures and possible flood warnings later in the week. The first week of June won't look out of place in December or January, except for the longer daylight hours and lack of frosts.

Hopefully we will have payoff with a decent July and August.

Tbh the lack of frosts wouldn't be out of place in December or January either!

• Site Banned Posts: 101 ✭✭Samthefootball

looks like this country London, Manchester ENGLAND is going to have nice weather

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Tbh the lack of frosts wouldn't be out of place in December or January either!

A very small chance of a slight hint of frost next thursday night, possibly over high ground. A Chilly night everywhere.

GFSOPUK18_81_5.png

Odd that Met Eireann don’t mention anything of the rain coming tonight on their latest forecast. Unless the models have it missing us now, haven’t checked yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Odd that Met Eireann don’t mention anything of the rain coming tonight on their latest forecast. Unless the models have it missing us now, haven’t checked yet.

Maybe they only have a skeleton staff on in June....

Bitter cold wind out here. Wish i had fuel but the cats will help. :)

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Also curious about this. I cancelled a camping trip for Wexford based on that forecast. If the threat is gone I might chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Another wet and dull day in Castlebar, we have had over 120mm of rain in the last 6 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Was bright and sunny early this morning but clouding over needless to say now and that feckin breeze that’s been there since the start of May continues unabated and it’s “fresh”

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭eon1208

Gonzo wrote: »
    today's temperatures across Europe are probably a good indication of what it's going to be like over the next few weeks. I'd expect Scandinavia to warm up considerably over the next few weeks too.

temp_eur2.png

Latest ensembles for Dublin showing hints at possibly an improving situation from about the 12th of June with warmer and dryer conditions.

ens_image.php?geoid=64981&var=201&run=6&date=2019-06-02&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=

I saw the hint of finer weather in July but the grass is past its peak in July. I wonder what are your thoughts on at least 4 consecutive dry sunny days between say next Monday and a couple of days past mid summers day. This week is obviously a write off. I would really appreciate your, as always,interesting insights.
    Love the weather chat. Keep me posted guys and gals.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big difference between all the models in where the rain is going to fall and how much. All depends where the model positions the LP as it rotates and meanders up the SE/ E coast. Very hard to predict I would imagine but yes there is very little mention of rain Mon night /Tues by Met Eireann, got the feeling they are waiting more runs to firm up on the forecast.

anim_dzv0.gif

arpegeuk-25-45-0_xwr7.png

M7I6Dev.png

iconeu_uk1-25-40-0_kat6.png

nmmuk-25-46-0_wub8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

acequion wrote: »
    Miserable first day of summer but take heart people! For personal reasons I vividly remember this day, June 1st in 1995 and it was absolute shyte. Grey and chilly and every bit as depressing as today and we all know what happened next :pac::pac:

I'd also like to wish the very best of luck to both syranbruen and SleetAndSnow in their LC. A major event and hugely important exam but those two sound like they'll fly it.:D

People tend to forget the long cooler than average spell from second week of May up to second week of June 1995. There was not a single 20c recorded (even rounded up) at any synoptic station between May 7th and June 12th 1995.

500mb height anomaly reanalysis certainly shows the cool spell during the period named with plentiful Atlantic ridging and Greenland blocking (-NAO) - trough to our east drawing in a N to NE airflow.

ORELPL6.gif

I reckon this week could be as bad as it gets for summer. Rainfall could be anywhere from 120 to 280% above normal, temperatures between 2 to 3C below normal and sunshine well below normal.

Tomorrow in particular looks very chilly with temperatures struggling to hit double figures under rainfall and may not rise above 8 or 9C in the northwest.

GFSOPUK06_30_5.png

There is no signs for any major improvement after this week with the unsettled theme continuing to dominate into the second week of June, but there are signals of things becoming milder and possibly warmer, as well as slightly dryer as we head towards July.

Perhaps this summer will be different to most other summers, get the crap out of the way first in June and if luck comes our way, that we'll have a far better July and August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Not a bad day at all in Cork :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Some very dark clouds coming in off the sea here in West cork. Meant to be quite nice in the City atm though, will know later :p

• Advertisement

Cold and raining here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

sryanbruen wrote: »
    People tend to forget the long cooler than average spell from second week of May up to second week of June 1995. There was not a single 20c recorded (even rounded up) at any synoptic station between May 7th and June 12th 1995.

500mb height anomaly reanalysis certainly shows the cool spell during the period named with plentiful Atlantic ridging and Greenland blocking (-NAO) - trough to our east drawing in a N to NE airflow.

ORELPL6.gif

I remember it well. Weather only came good around the end of the leaving cert, if I remember correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Glorious late November doom weather.

As the rest of the world bounces with global warming, the ol Emerald Ile flirts with the ice age.

very chilly out here.. Just posted on the other thread that when I lived in Orkeny , Outer Isles, with a climate that made here look balmy. there was always every year a great wind/rain storm at the end of May, start of June.

It would rip gardens apart if you had planted anything out, wipe seabirds nests and young off cliffs.

They called it the Gab of May

Just like here this week

The_Brood wrote: »
    Glorious late November doom weather.

As the rest of the world bounces with global warming, the ol Emerald Ile flirts with the ice age.

Global warming and climate change surely mean a disruption of established weather patterns so yesterday is right on theme.

2 heavy showers here already, got caught in one of them and had a soaking. Cold as well but at least there are some sunny spells.

downpour here now, very dark, lights on, rain bouncing off the ground.

Disgusting day on and off rain dark and 13 feckin degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Bit similar to yesterday in North Dublin.. periods of clouds broken up by intermittent warm sunshine... Threatened to rain a few times but held off in the end.

ME radar seems to be saying some serious rain not too far away now. Will see soon enough.

• Advertisement

Dark with brief downpours

Advertisement