Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended TV Shows - Podcasts etc

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There's a newish show on Netflix called Exhibit A, it's all about forensic analysis and how they changed a case.
    It's not the most amazing show in the world, but it's a good look at how the forensics are used, and how they are disputed.
    There is a different case in each episode, not a case that you will involve yourself in too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I'm liking season 4 of Uncover Podcast, it's slow paced but a really interesting story about an ongoing investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

3 episodes into I am a killer on Netflix and it's really good. Stories of people on death row in the US. Brings a new angle and is really well put together.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Suckler

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-clearing/id1471432747
    https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/clearing-podcast-pineapple-street-review-860205/

Came across this podcast; really interesting one.Hadn't heard of this guy before. Interesting to have his daughter so involved.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/22-hours-an-american-nightmare/id1461511691

Also this one was very good, horrific case but covered pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Knockmealdown Shepherd

http://swindledpodcast.com/

White collar crime and corruption podcast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

I've never liked podcasts, I don't know why just not my thing.
    But there was one Podcast Series I listened to that I just could not put down. It was the best produced podcast I have listened to, so gripping.

It was the West Cork podcast on Audible , about Sophie Toscan Du Plantier. 2 British journalists came to west Cork and spent a lot of time with Ian Baily. Very interesting and highly recommend it to anyone. It really changed my opinion on the case and who it could have been and a lot more information than I had previously not known about the case (having grown up in West Cork !)

Now I know this is an Irish case but I'm just recommending the podcast so it's probably best to avoid discussing the details of the case as per forum rules!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The Lady Vanishes (disappearance of Marion Barter) is quite good. Bit long winded but worth a listen. Interesting case.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Court Junkie is good

The Golden State Killer too

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭all_names_gone

Hi I would like to add my own website here, if thats allowed. I have been writing about The Irish Mob for the past while and with some great success I might add. I write a lot about the Prohibition Era and the Gangs of New York type stuff but do cover stuff in Ireland too but nothing recent or current, just the historic stuff 15 years +.

I cover from the early 1800's to the Prohibition Era and beyond that, Dublin, Chicago, San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Boston, New Jersey and more. Its not all crime, I cover where Irish Immigrants began to live in the US, the areas where they lived, the politicians, the culture, the people connected, victims and anything else I can think of.

Im just an amateur who writes this for a bit of fun and a hobby but try my hardest to get everything factually and historically right, so far I havent had to pull a story for errors or inaccuracies, maybe a quick edit to change a date or something small. But generally my stories have been well received.

Here is my website, hope its ok to post it - https://theirishmob.com/ there is also a Facebook page of the same name

So Sky have launched a new TV channel called Sky Crime and I must say it looks really good. Some great content included especially in the on demand section.

Lots of stuff off channels like CI but also shows like The Jinx, The case against Adnan Syed, East Area Rapist and Britain's most evil killers.

I watched "I love you now die" last night and it's a fascinating case. I heard something on this before but didn't know the detail. Involves a young couple and a suicide and is well worth watch imo.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Oh is that where she kept texting him to commit suicide? Think Gen Why covered it.

pc7 wrote: »
    Oh is that where she kept texting him to commit suicide? Think Gen Why covered it.

Yeah that's the one.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The Devil Next Door was just added to Netflix today.

'A Cleveland grandfather is brought to trial in Israel, accused of being the infamous Nazi death camp guard known as Ivan the Terrible. '

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11165002/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

Sounds good!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Who Killed Garrett Phillips is a decent 2 parter about the murder of a 12 year old boy a few years back in upstate New York.

What annoyed me about it though is that they talk bout the town of Potsdam being so small where everybody knows each other.....yet the neighbours across the hall and the ones outside who were witnesses didn't actually know the family or victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    The Golden State Killer too

This is where he started his criminal career

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

The Devil Next Door on Netflix

Incredible stuff, amazing footage as well, some extremely harrowing images at times though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've just recently started listening to Criminal: https://thisiscriminal.com/

It's got a variety of stuff on there, the most recent one 'A New Kind of Life' is grim but not in a bloody way, about a man who fell in love with a woman and decided to try to cure her tuberculosis. Romantic, right?
    He continued trying to cure her after she died...long after she died :/ A very odd case.

I've enjoyed the few I have listened to so far about fraud, murder and ^^ that one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

miamee wrote: »
    I've just recently started listening to Criminal: https://thisiscriminal.com/

It's got a variety of stuff on there, the most recent one 'A New Kind of Life' is grim but not in a bloody way, about a man who fell in love with a woman and decided to try to cure her tuberculosis. Romantic, right?
    He continued trying to cure her after she died...long after she died :/ A very odd case.

I've enjoyed the few I have listened to so far about fraud, murder and ^^ that one.

I could listen to Phoebe Judge talk about anything. Such a great voice for podcasting.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

She really does have a great voice, doesn't she?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Who Killed Garrett Phillips is a decent 2 parter about the murder of a 12 year old boy a few years back in upstate New York.

Watched this on a flight recently, good documentary but I think they left a few things out having since listened to the Generation Why podcast on the same case.

I'm watching the Petit Grégory documentary on Netflix now and wow, what a case that is. I still have 2 episodes to go but that whole family is intriguing. Much more of a whodunnit than your standard true crime story.

Given that this was the biggest story in France at the time (1984), there's a lot of original footage.

• Advertisement

I'd recommend don't **** with cats on Netflix if anyone is looking for a true crime fix for Christmas. 3 episodes. Very odd, bizarre, let me know what you think.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'd recommend don't **** with cats on Netflix if anyone is looking for a true crime fix for Christmas. 3 episodes. Very odd, bizarre, let me know what you think.

Thought it was initially going to be rubbish with the internet sleuths, but when it started escalating, boy did it escalate. Amazon attention to detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

One of the best things I’ve ever seen. Incredible.

Another unusual one a watched recently on Sky is "there's something wrong with aunt Diane".

Basically a popular 36 year is returning from a weekend camping trip with her 2 kids and 3 nieces. What should have been a 35 minute drive home turns into a 4 hour roadtrip which involved having breakfast in McDonalds, stopping into a petrol station. Then for no apparent reason she started driving erratically which eventually led her to drive the wrong way down a motorway.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have watched a couple of really excellent docs recently.
    Murder trial the disappearance of Margaret Fleming.
    Catching a killer diary from the grave

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Hunting Warhead podcast. A tough listen at times but really interesting and very informative for anyone interested in the deep web. It’s about the take down of an administrator of a child sex abuse forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

Scene of the Crime - it's a podcast about the Delphi murders and is very well done so far (four episodes in).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Hunting Warhead podcast. A tough listen at times but really interesting and very informative for anyone interested in the deep web. It’s about the take down of an administrator of a child sex abuse forum.

Usually avoid stuff like this but Red Handed mentioned it, so gave it a go. 3 episodes in, Jesus unreal. Great listen (in terms of reporter/police work), makes me even more paranoid of people around my smallies. My mind almost switches off to some of it cause I just cannot comprehend what these fookers do to little kids. Also the numbers involved really are terrifying. But as RE said it’s very well laid out podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Absolutely excellent podcast, and an insight into these people's minds and rationales for doing what they do. Found it fascinating, I must say.

• Advertisement

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Absolutely excellent podcast, and an insight into these people's minds and rationales for doing what they do. Found it fascinating, I must say.

Must give it a go.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement