Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

vegan on a budget?

• 29-10-2014 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi all

Just wondered how easy it is to be vegan on a budget? I presume one would have to stay away from faux meets and such? Is milk, cheese etc expensive, and what about organic veggies?
    Which type of tofu is good for putting in things curry etc, and is this relatively inexpensive to buy? Also, does everything have to be bought at health food stores, (obviously not veggies) but the specialty stuff, like milk etc, or can anything be bought at supermarkets?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭LETS GET NAKED

It can be super cheap, I get by fine on a pretty measly student budget. I don't eat the fake meats and not much tofu either so can't help you there. But fruit and veg is good value in lidl and they often have a lot of veg organic. You can spend a fortune on fake meats, milks and cheeses but, you don't need to buy that stuff.

Eating vegan is just like eating a normal diet except people tend to eat a little more fruit and veg and replace meat with extra potatoes, sweet potato, rice, beans, legumes etc.

I get through about 1ltr of almond milk a week and it's €1.50, but if you're buying loads you can get soy milks for like 85c in supermarkets I think. Alpro yogurts are similar price to standard brand natural yogurts I think.

I'd say the biggest mistake people make when they go vegan is not getting enough calories, veg and most fruits are very low calorically, so don't try and live off just veg and salads, especially initially. 500 calories from rice, potatoes or bananas costs very little, but 500 calories from fresh raspberries will ruin you. I often see people spend a fortune, or feel hungry all the time. That and people can't afford because they think they have to eat kale chips and sometimes expensive processed vegan foods etc.

There's loads of cookbooks aimed at young people about going vegan which are often budget focused. I've heard good things about vegan on $4 a day, and I recommend vegan for life by Jack Norris to everybody when they first go vegan (although, take it with a pinch of salt it's not bible, he's big into calcium and zinc supplements, which I don't think are necessary for most). And I'm sure there's loads of blogs about budget vegan. Loads of other books as well worth reading eventually too, starch solution by john mcdougall etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

Thanks for your reply.

Has anyone experienced alpro original soy milk? Bought some just tonight in my local shop, after reading it was non GMO etc.
    I was in a health food shop today and bought some vitamins but didn't want to buy milk as it's quite expensive there. If I like the alpro i'll get it in the supermarket where i'm sure it would be cheaper than my local shop.
    Any help appreciated thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

afterglow wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

Has anyone experienced alpro original soy milk? Bought some just tonight in my local shop, after reading it was non GMO etc.
    I was in a health food shop today and bought some vitamins but didn't want to buy milk as it's quite expensive there. If I like the alpro i'll get it in the supermarket where i'm sure it would be cheaper than my local shop.
    Any help appreciated thanks

I'm not a vegan but I'm detoxing myself from dairy.
    There is an offer in Tesco at the moment where you can get two cartons of replacement milk for €3, Soya, Almond, Almond Unsweetened and Coconut. I usually get one Almon Unsweetened and one Coconut milk, I've been doing that for the last two weeks anyway, watch out for offers like that, it will help out a lot to shop around a bit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah i've made a killing on that, bought about 10 so far haha.
    It really is quite cheap as vegetables are incredibly cheap. Then for protein you can get the likes of nuts and so on. Tofu is 2.xx for a kg in asian supermarkets.
    Fake cheese and butter aren't that dear. I wouldn't buy cheese often (one I get is about 3 euro), buy butter every week for 1.86.

It really is quite cheap as vegetables are incredibly cheap. Then for protein you can get the likes of nuts and so on. Tofu is 2.xx for a kg in asian supermarkets.
    Fake cheese and butter aren't that dear. I wouldn't buy cheese often (one I get is about 3 euro), buy butter every week for 1.86.

Hi. Thanks for replying. Which butter do you use?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

408545b.jpg

408545b.jpg

Hi

Sorry could you write it down? I can't see the picture.
    thanks

It's called pure sunflower and says dairy free on the front of it. If you google pure dairy free you'll find their site, can't link as I'm a new reg.

It's called pure sunflower and says dairy free on the front of it. If you google pure dairy free you'll find their site, can't link as I'm a new reg.

Hi

Thanks so much for that. i was kind of hoping it was one of those butters. Are they made by the same people who make kerry made? It tastes good yeah? I will get some next time i do a texco online shop

Thanks again :)

Never tried it myself! I have a housemate who uses the soya one and she seems to like it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Never tried it myself! I have a housemate who uses the soya one and she seems to like it though.

The sunflower one tastes a lot nicer and it's much better for baking with IMO

Yeah I find it way nicer even though some other mad yokes disagree. You can pick it up in any tesco etc so you'll get to try it out pretty easily.

Yeah saw it in tesco earlier, they had sunflower and soya. Sunflower was €1.86 soya was like €1.50. I'd never even seen it before, glad that stuff is available in places like tesco.

Yeah saw it in tesco earlier, they had sunflower and soya. Sunflower was €1.86 soya was like €1.50. I'd never even seen it before, glad that stuff is available in places like tesco.

I know the price of everything in Tesco, love shopping ;D

Advertisement