Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boardsies Decide TV Show that was One Season One Hit Wonder

• 28-07-2020 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭

Boardsies Decide TV Show that was a One Season One Hit Wonder

If interested please pm your choices

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

How many nominations do we have?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How many nominations do we have?

As many as you like

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    As many as you like

Fair enough, I'll probably have to set myself some sort of limit or else I'll end up nominating about a hundred shows. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Does the show have to have had only one season? I'm sure there are loads that have cult status now but were not hits at the time.

I can think of a 2 right now, will get working on my list.

Kolido wrote: »
    Does the show have to have had only one season? I'm sure there are loads that have cult status now but were not hits at the time.

I can think of a 2 right now, will get working on my list.

I think if it has more than 1 season it would defeat the purpose of the tournament and shows with multiple seasons have an unfair advantage. There are plenty of quality one season shows in fairness.

There can be another tournament for best Cult TV Show at a later date if people want it, but personally I think this should stick to One Season Wonders.

• Advertisement

I think if it has more than 1 season it would defeat the purpose of the tournament and shows with multiple seasons have an unfair advantage. There are plenty of quality one season shows in fairness.

There can be another tournament for best Cult TV Show at a later date if people want it, but personally I think this should stick to One Season Wonders.

Oh I agree, stick to one season shows.

I was just pondering the title, surely if a show was a hit, it would have been renewed. But there are loads to pick from, looking forward to this and hopefully finding some new shows

Oh I agree, stick to one season shows.

I was just pondering the title, surely if a show was a hit, it would have been renewed. But there are loads to pick from, looking forward to this and hopefully finding some new shows

Ah right, got ya - misunderstood what you were saying initially.

I don't think Liz meant 'hit' in the literal sense to be fair, as One Hit Wonder (especially when used outside of music) has just become a bit of an expression on itself, even when it doesn't exactly mean One Hit Wonder.

Yes just one season tv shows only

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Ah right, got ya - misunderstood what you were saying initially.

I don't think Liz meant 'hit' in the literal sense to be fair, as One Hit Wonder (especially when used outside of music) has just become a bit of an expression on itself, even when it doesn't exactly mean One Hit Wonder.
    Yes just one season tv shows only

See I view "one hit wonder" as pejorative like say "one trick pony", so I'd exclude things like Fawlty Towers.

So we're saying one season and a hit?

Purgative wrote: »
    See I view "one hit wonder" as pejorative like say "one trick pony", so I'd exclude things like Fawlty Towers.

So we're saying one season and a hit?

Fawlty Towers had two seasons, so wouldn't be in the running anyway.

I think to save yourself a headache forget about whether or not it was a hit. The only criteria I imagine, is that it only lasted one season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Damn. That means Jericho is out even though I wouldn't consider the second season of 6 episodes a season in the grandest sense :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Not having a limit to nominations is great. I've sent in several, but knowing that if I think of more I can add them is great.

Would a one season spin off show like Gods of the Arena (from Spartacus) count? I'm thinking not as it was it is part of the show, even if it's prequelly.

One of my favourite shows ever started out as a 4 part mini series and then went on to have one full season, would this qualify?

quickbeam wrote: »
    Not having a limit to nominations is great. I've sent in several, but knowing that if I think of more I can add them is great.

Would a one season spin off show like Gods of the Arena (from Spartacus) count? I'm thinking not as it was it is part of the show, even if it's prequelly.

I reckon Spin-Offs are fair game. I've not seen any of the Spartacus stuff, but from what I know it's separate from the main series and stands on its own two feet, even if it shares characters.

One of my favourite shows ever started out as a 4 part mini series and then went on to have one full season, would this qualify?

Oh, that reminds me of a few other I can nominate! :)

I’ll get my thinking cap on , Liz xxx

Yes I would allow

The show does not have to have been a hit

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Probably should have asked but are documentaries in season long format acceptable? If not just disregard the two I submitted ;)

How long will you keep nominations open for Liz?

I've gone down the rabbit hole of watching some old favourites while making a list, but don't want to miss the deadline.

I had to google and so far I’ve come up with zero shows that I’ve seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Hey Liz,
    are mini series allowed.
    I have 3 that I can submit, but they were never intended for the long haul, they were always going to be one season. . .

Will answer for her there since she hasn't yet. Yes, they're allowed, because I submitted some and she didn't reject them.

Necro wrote: »
    Probably should have asked but are documentaries in season long format acceptable? If not just disregard the two I submitted ;)
    Irish Aris wrote: »
    Hey Liz,
    are mini series allowed.
    I have 3 that I can submit, but they were never intended for the long haul, they were always going to be one season. . .

Yes to both

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I hadn't thought about it before but there are lots of great shows that got cancelled after one series. Especially in the 90s and 00s.
    Stupid, power-mad, coked-up American TV execs strike again :mad:

How long will you keep nominations open for Liz?

I've gone down the rabbit hole of watching some old favourites while making a list, but don't want to miss the deadline.

Would around the 9th of August suit all?

Would around the 9th of August suit all?

Whenever suits yourself is fine for me. I could send in nominations tonight or tomorrow if you want them in ASAP... but I've currently got a shortlist of over 50 shows, so was gonna do some quality control and watch a few episodes of the ones I haven't seen in quite a few years to check they were actually decent and I'm not just remembering them through rose tinted glasses. ;)

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Whenever suits yourself is fine for me. I could send in nominations tonight or tomorrow if you want them in ASAP... but I've currently got a shortlist of over 50 shows, so was gonna do some quality control and watch a few episodes of the ones I haven't seen in quite a few years to check they were actually decent and I'm not just remembering them through rose tinted glasses. ;)

giphy.gif

wow, 50 shows, I barely made it to 4!!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Same, and two of them are only in because Liz said mini-series were eligible.

50+ after I had already disregarded another 50 or so, and I reckon I'll remember some other great ones over the next few days too. This sort of tournament is definitely right up my alley - hopefully will discover some new shows through it as well.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

No limit on the amount so send in the 50 ;):D

Advertisement