Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stag idea's???

Options
  • 14-07-2020 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭

Well lads,

I hope the mods don't mind me posting this here..

I am getting married in Feb next year and had planned a stag in Budapest but with travel restrictions in place and people just not been comfortable with travelling i have decided to stay in Ireland.. But i have zero idea what to do or where to go.. I was thinking January because lads have had to use up holidays and can't get anymore time off etc etc

So i am open to all suggestions.. it'll be a group of 25+ so and it would be handy if it included an activity, If you were on a Stag that was good craic etc..

Throw all suggestions at me please

Thanks in advance

Darren

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Congrats!!

First suggestion - nobody ever has money in January. Change the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Carrick on Shannon is one spot.

Clare and visit father TEDs house....

Get a hotel, get a nice spot and do boating or cruise on Shannon for example.

I'm sure well more hope the world will be a better place by then and clubs could be back open

Off roading or go karting for example....

I'd also look at abroad if safe by then as in may be some great prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Congrats!!

First suggestion - nobody ever has money in January. Change the month.

I completely understand this, its just the majority of the lads going can't take anymore time off work due to covid and there really isn't a great time to fit it in between now and the wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Worst case do it after.... Known of others doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

a lot of fellas give up the drink in January too, carrick is a mighty spot or westport,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭maherhonda

Avoid Cork City for Stags.

Sure Carrick On Shannon, Kilkenny and Killarney probably be the main three spots for stags.

Paintballing, Bubble Soccer, go karting can all be arranged.

I completely understand this, its just the majority of the lads going can't take anymore time off work due to covid and there really isn't a great time to fit it in between now and the wedding

Maybe theres a subtext to what they’re saying!

What date is the wedding in Feb - would
    the stag fit between the wedding date and untouchable valentines?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yea Ted fest postpone the wedding until the end of March, I was sitting in the matchmakers pub in ennistimon when I spotted all the lovely girls getting off the bus for a quickie in Eugenes bar it was a sight to behold on a rainy Saturday.

What agegroup OP and do many of them
    have kids? And whereabouts roughly are you all based?

Maybe theres a subtext to what they’re saying!

What date is the wedding in Feb - would
    the stag fit between the wedding date and untouchable valentines?

The wedding is the end of Feb so i doubt it to be honest

• Advertisement

What agegroup OP and do many of them
    have kids?

20's to 60's with a few non drinkers thrown in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭maherhonda

20's to 60's with a few non drinkers thrown in

Kayaking as well to what I previously mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Bada Bing Boy

Westport is the best place I've been on a stag in Ireland.

Great craic and pubs that cater for all ages, might be cold in January though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Carlingford is a great spot for a stag, not sure what it would be like in Jan/Feb though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Carrick on Shannon is one spot.

Clare and visit father TEDs house....

Get a hotel, get a nice spot and do boating or cruise on Shannon for example.

I'm sure well more hope the world will be a better place by then and clubs could be back open

Off roading or go karting for example....

I'd also look at abroad if safe by then as in may be some great prices.

Carrick is perfect for a stag, there’s plenty of stags and hens about, nearly every pub in the town will welcome you on amd as the night progresses the town is heaving.

One stag we went and amd is air soft, the other we did carting, both local to carrick. Carting would be my preference but both were good crack. They gave us €50 back from the carting for a round of drinks, probably built into the price but a nice idea.

Stayed in the bush hotel both times and they treated us great. Decent meal included in the BandB rate and its bang in the middle of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Would you have it in August, September or October this year? Reason I’m asking is you could hire boats and go mackerel fishing. We done it on my stag 2 years ago. Doesn’t really matter if ye not into fishing. It’s a great day of fun! Everyone on mine enjoyed it. But we also went to a shooting range before it! That was some buzz!

OK - a lot of venues pre covid used to have things going on in the run up to Christmas - cabaret type risky shows, foil arms and hogg shows, comedy
    gigs, etc - bird gáis theatre often have a long programme of themed events - you could block book and get a discount and then head for food & drinks & nightclub - not too mega pricey but something specific that you coupd latch on to. Lots of music gigs cancelled
    due to covid but you might get lucky by then with things reopening.

Personally - normally I’d block book for the stalls but given covid 19 I’d book a VIP (private) box at the races for one of the days after Christmas - leopardstown - always a fantastic athmosphere and if you agree to stick to the tote or a e5 max on bets it shouldn’t get too messy. And drinks etc there but not food other than big bags of chips & burgers!Not sure if it is
    going ahead thou. didnt
    the grand national have no crowd this summer :0

some groups have rollover bookings year on year for ViP boxes so if you wanted one you would need to be talking to them possibly soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Sorry to hi-jack this thread (slightly), but in a similar boat. Looking to book a stag towards the end of Feb 2021 for groom. I had settled on going to Carlingford, but further research suggests that will be be very quiet in Feb. We've been around the block as well so have hit most of the other spots such as; Westport, Kilkenny, Carrick-on-Shannon, Galway, Killarney. Preference would be to find somewhere new as the group would have been the same on most of these. Was thinking of Athlone or Monaghan as alternative towns to try, anyone know if they'd be any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Carlingford is never quiet! Ever....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

My two cents:

Westport - cycle the greenway
    Dungarvan - cycle the greenway
    Shannon cruise - e.g. Banagher to Athlone (and back)

In January they might not be great options though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Limericks good as well

Plenty of hotels and restaurants to go to

We did paintballing here

https://www.basecampadventurepark.ie/

Great craic

Fun to shoot at the stag at the end lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭source

A couple of suggestions from stags I've been on.

1. Adventure day in Castletownroche in Cork - Offroad carting, zorbing etc followed by Cork city for night out: https://blackwateroa.blogspot.com/
    2. Kayaking on the lakes in Killarney, followed by Cork city for night out: https://www.outdoorsireland.com/kayaking.php
    3. Karting in Loughrea followed by night out in Galway: https://www.pallaskarting.com
    4. Laser tag in Galway - https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g186609-d6592499-Reviews-Eile_Mental_Activity_Park-Galway_County_Galway_Western_Ireland.html

I was skeptical about the laser tag but everyone agreed it is probably the best stag we've done. A few points to note as to why it's better than paintball.

It doesn't hurt
    It's a single cost for the day (no need to buy more ammo if you run out)
    Very competitive

My final suggestion for stags, and something that has worked really well for us, is to get a couple of large hostel rooms - completely book out the large dorm rooms - rather than hotel rooms. It costs way less than a hotel, and you all get to stay together (more craic). They're perfect, seeing as you'll only be spending a few hours there to get some kip, why waste the best part of €100+ each when you could have the same result for around €25 each.

Edit:
    Great hostels:
    Sheila's in Cork
    Barnacles or Snoozles in Galway

Advertisement