Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"The Notorious" Conor McGregor documentary airs 9.30pm Thursday (13 March) on RTE TWO

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

Really enjoyed two moments in the doc.

Firstly, his aul lad seemed very likeable and at times a typical Dublin parent; embarrassingly hilarious. Him opening the press looking for humble pie had me in stitches.

Secondly, Owen Roddy shouting out from the car as they were passing "Conor, you're my inspiration. We love you Conor!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

p to the e wrote: »
    Secondly, Owen Roddy shouting out from the car as they were passing "Conor, you're my inspiration. We love you Conor!"

Is that who that was?

I thought it was jsut some random weirdo shouting I love you to Conor to a 10 year old would to Justin Bieber.

Then I was think was it a plant by the producers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I think what was not mentioned on the documentary was Conor was a apprentice plumber and he packed that in to do train MMA full time.His father probably got pissed off with that and only for Conor getting that KO in his UFC debut things could be a lot different for him.That KO has made him lots of money and fame.I have no doubt he would have made it in the UFC but that catapulted him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

That's why I found it hilarious. A real David Brent scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mattyz69

i found the doc very entertaining as did the missus who is only really interested in the MMA scene because i am.

When you look at all the ppl in ireland who have competed in any sports, some get success & some dont but the reason a doc was made of conor is because of his charisma and although that sometimes it comes across a bit much i think its exactly what an athelete needs to have, in order to break into mainstream and thats what he has done. so ya have to give him credit for that.

another great thing about it is the fact thats to a certain extent its a feel good doc to watch and nice change from all the carnage that you usually see on the tv about killings and theft and all that jazz.

i def would have liked to have seen a little bit more of his training but all in all top class!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I don't think an athlete or ANYONE needs to have found success to have a documentary made about them. It's not the success but the subject matter that counts. I would watch a documentary about someone who went on to win a World Title as much as i'd watch a documentary about an athlete who chased their dream and fell short.

Conor is an interesting subject for a number of reasons. The sport is so unique and is far from the mainstream. He is (arguably?) the country's top fighter and he is now fighting on the biggest stage possible and could be on his way to the top. He's a colourful character and is a regular in the media here now.

People saying he hasn't had sufficient success to have had a documentary made are missing the point!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mouthalmighty

Have to say really enjoyed the doc. Found it really interesting, especially the positive affirmations Conor was constantly re-iterating to himself. Was using the clips he said to motivate Leaving Certs. That mental attitude is the key to a successful life, let alone career. He is a very driven young man, I hope he has every success in the future. Begrudgery will be common, he followed his dreams and is achieving them fair play to him. Yes he comes across cocky and arrogant at times but a fighter at that level needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skittlemon

Have to say really enjoyed the doc. Found it really interesting, especially the positive affirmations Conor was constantly re-iterating to himself. Was using the clips he said to motivate Leaving Certs. That mental attitude is the key to a successful life, let alone career. He is a very driven young man, I hope he has every success in the future. Begrudgery will be common, he followed his dreams and is achieving them fair play to him. Yes he comes across cocky and arrogant at times but a fighter at that level needs to be.

My sentiments exactly, I think a lot of people are too used to the premiership footballer interview where cliches are spewn and vanilla is the PR friendly flavour. Someone like Conor comes along and in the words of the Joker "everybody loses their mind"
    If Aldo makes the jump to lightweight, he has a really good chance of becoming a world champ imo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mouthalmighty

Skittlemon wrote: »
    My sentiments exactly, I think a lot of people are too used to the premiership footballer interview where cliches are spewn and vanilla is the PR friendly flavour. Someone like Conor comes along and in the words of the Joker "everybody loses their mind"
    If Aldo makes the jump to lightweight, he has a really good chance of becoming a world champ imo!!

Premier league footballers can hardly speak. Honestly count how many times one of them says "obviously" or "at the end of the day" or related cliches in an interview. Its half of the word count in the interview. McGregor can be quite eloquent in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Premier league footballers can hardly speak. Honestly count how many times one of them says "obviously" or "at the end of the day" or related cliches in an interview.

Drives me mental listening to that. "Obviously, at the end of the day it's a game of football. As I said it's a game of football and I say, obviously, there's two teams on the pitch."

GAA players too. Every sentence starts with "look" or the name of the interviewer. "Look Marty, we knew we had to win but sure look, we won. Y'know Marty it was a tough game but, look, you have to win your games".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Drives me mental listening to that.

Literally?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skittlemon

Imagine Conor Mc being put into a debate with a premership footballer to argue the merits of their particular chosen sport :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Just saw Republic Of Telly's review of the documentary. Funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

Had this recorded on sky but only got round to watching it tonight. Great stuff I thought. The training bits the quoting from the book and the clip of him just up the morning after the holloway fight were probably my favourite bits.

Its taken a while for me to warm to him but after watching that i see him in a more positive light. Fair fcuks to the man to be honest. Would love to see him become champ

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

It's the last day that our "Notorious" Conor McGregor documentary will be available on RTE player

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10262596/

Ireland/proxy only

• Registered Users Posts: 54,580 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Drives me mental listening to that. "Obviously, at the end of the day it's a game of football. As I said it's a game of football and I say, obviously, there's two teams on the pitch."

GAA players too. Every sentence starts with "look" or the name of the interviewer. "Look Marty, we knew we had to win but sure look, we won. Y'know Marty it was a tough game but, look, you have to win your games".

It grates me no end. Obviously and basically are the two most ridiculously overused words in our language.

I liked the documentary. Conor speaks well. Seems like a good guy, and obviously quite talented!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

Our documentary is available on RTE player in HD again for the next 8 days

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10305774/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

SevereMMA wrote: »
    Our documentary is available on RTE player in HD again for the next 8 days

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10305774/

nice one ill definitely give this another watch

Advertisement