Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Historic sites open in November?

• 28-08-2013 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Any recommendations of places to go (Visitor centres/museum's) open in November? Don't have the time at this time of the month despite being on hols to catch up on other projects but I hope to take hols in november again to be the tourist instead of a tour guide.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

What part of the country are you in or will you be in in November? I think most large museums would be open year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

miamee wrote: »
    What part of the country are you in or will you be in in November? I think most large museums would be open year round.[/QUOTEA

Any museum outside of Galway county

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

miamee wrote: »
    What part of the country are you in or will you be in in November? I think most large museums would be open year round.[/QUOTEA

Any museum outside of Galway county

Only 31 counties, that narrows things down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The Rock of Cashel is open almost all year round (apart from a few days at Christmas). I was there yesterday, took a guided tour along with lots of American tourists, guide was witty and informative, highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Check out Stroketown House, Roscommon, Battle of Boyne site, Oldtown near Drogheda, Kilmainham Gaol (also convenient to National Museum Collins Barracks and Arbour Hill)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

If you are doing Oldbridge / Battle of the Boyne, there's also Bru na Boinne (Newgrange) nearby and Trim Castle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Jawgap wrote: »
    If you are doing Oldbridge / Battle of the Boyne, there's also Bru na Boinne (Newgrange) nearby and Trim Castle.

Sorry I thought the area was Oldtown. Good ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Sorry I thought the area was Oldtown. Good ideas

Never even noticed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Bunratty Castle and Folk Park Co Clare is open.
    I think King Johns Castle in Limerick City is also open.
    Muckross House in Killarney should be open.
    Ennis Friary is open, so is the Ennis Museum.
    The Burren is a free for all, there's loads of old tombs, churches, and dolmens to see...
    Last but not least the Cliffs of Moher is open.

• Advertisement

One of the most mystical places on earth (I think!):

http://www.glendalough.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

I have done Bru Na Boinne (but didn't get as far as newgrange as we were on a time limit for a college trip) and Battle of the Boyne which I liked. I have done Bunratty and Ennis Friary but will take the rest into account.

Advertisement