Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Armoured Car.

• 09-09-2013 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any reason (legal or moral) that would prevent me from building a replica of 1920 RR Armoured car and/or Crossley tender?
    We have build a few life size self propelled replicas already and it is a dream of mine to build the afore mentioned replicas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,021 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

se conman wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any reason (legal or moral) that would prevent me from building a replica of 1920 RR Armoured car and/or Crossley tender?
    We have build a few life size self propelled replicas already and it is a dream of mine to build the afore mentioned replicas.
    Obviously it might not be Road Traffic Act-compliant, but that need not matter if you don't intend to drive it in a public place.

And obviously you won't be able to mount firearms or anything of the kind on it.

But, other than that, I'm not seeing any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I'd say you'd have to use a modern donor chassis, you won't find too many RR ones left and Crossley chassis are hen's teeth rare, maybe something like a Land Rover type may do, make a few compromises, rebuild it with cosmetic armour plate or a tender body? I don't know if could be registered or insured with a scratch-built chassis??

Re the 'moral' side of things, I heard of one lad who restored an ex-RUC 'Pig', still gets an odd stone chucked at him on occasion!

Edit: probably better off asking the 'classic car' forum as to practicalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Peregrinus wrote: »

And obviously you won't be able to mount firearms or anything of the kind on it.

Not so. If the firearm is rendered inoperative permission can be sought from the local Garda Superintendent. All the applicant needs is to show is that he has good reason to have it and that it will not lead to a breach of the peace. No licence is needed if permission is obtained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I'd say if you did use a LandRover chassis, the vehicle could be taxed as a LandRover and be fully road legal. If you found a pre 1980 one, it would also be NCT exempt and attrack vintage tax and insurance.

Advertisement