Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Finally, a Glock in .22lr.

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Anyone who shoots targets with a handgun has a ligit reason to own one.
    There is some weird hangup in theIrish psyche that equates handguns with somthing as dangerous as tactical nukes .When in fact they are no more dangerous than any other type of firearm out there.Its the intent of the user thats the problem with all inanimate objects,not the object itself.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Anyone who shoots targets with a handgun has a ligit reason to own one.
    There is some weird hangup in theIrish psyche that equates handguns with somthing as dangerous as tactical nukes .When in fact they are no more dangerous than any other type of firearm out there.Its the intent of the user thats the problem with all inanimate objects,not the object itself.

Not a hangup just doesn't strike me as a particularly useful weapon for hunting..

Maybe I'm wrong..

What is it someone would hunt with a small handgun?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

lawred2 wrote: »
    Not a hangup just doesn't strike me as a particularly useful weapon for hunting..

Maybe I'm wrong..

Read the answer that Grizz gave. Specifically the part where he says “shoots targets”.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DocKS123

Yes if you have the liscense for the handgun.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Read the answer that Grizz gave. Specifically the part where he says “shoots targets”.

Fair enough.. I'm only curious. No need to be rude.

I just didn't realise a handgun could be owned privately in Ireland to shoot at inanimate objects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

I just didn't realise a handgun could be owned privately in Ireland to shoot at inanimate objects.

They have always been legal in Ireland, apart from a 25 year break when they were in "Temporary storage" in the phoenix park. This was supposed to last two weeks when the nonsense started up north, but in true Irish style it lasted 25 + years. It was "Garda policy" not to licence them, never an official ban :rolleyes:

Ironically, pistols were not banned in the six counties, and the paramilitaries had no problem getting pistols in by the boatload, literally. The only ones to suffer were the law abiding target shooters.

They were released after a court case, and guess what ? Nothing happened, no silliness, no mass outbreaks of shootings with pistols. Dozens of lads i know have licenced pistols, they are all garda vetted and law abiding, taking part in a sport thats an olympic discipline.

We just tend to be a bit touchy on this subject here,no offence meant.:)
    As would anyone be I guess if they had a ligitimate intrest,and their private property confiscated by default,and then when after much hassle had it legalised again,and then have a bigoted ,ignorant person in power decide his anti gun bias and agenda could be callously hung on a convient murder in Limerick with an illegal and criminnally held handgun,to further his anti gun bias to ban again the things that people just fought legally own again.And then have to go to court at least TWICE at about five grand a pop in the last 10 years to prove that they had good reason to own them,only to discover people in the senior Gardai have been colluding with each other and tampering with offical documentation in the high court,at least 18 months before the dodgy drink driving numbers came out,and NOT.A.SOUL.In mainstream media was intrested in this newsworthy event of Garda corruption,but acted all surprised when the dodgy DUI cases came to light.
    And having a ligitimate sport of practical pistol wiped out by the same govt..You might understand why we are a tad grumpy on this topic.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Maybe I'm wrong..

You cant hunt with one here big cal or small cal.PERIOD! Which is pretty unfortunate as it takes more skill and there are handgun calibers out there that are well capable of taking anything we have here in Ireland in big game.
    Taks alot more skill and stalking capability than using a rifle,as you must get much closer to your quarry.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

We just tend to be a bit touchy on this subject here,no offence meant.:)
    As would anyone be I guess if they had a ligitimate intrest,and their private property confiscated by default,and then when after much hassle had it legalised again,and then have a bigoted ,ignorant person in power decide his anti gun bias and agenda could be callously hung on a convient murder in Limerick with an illegal and criminnally held handgun,to further his anti gun bias to ban again the things that people just fought legally own again.And then have to go to court at least TWICE at about five grand a pop in the last 10 years to prove that they had good reason to own them,only to discover people in the senior Gardai have been colluding with each other and tampering with offical documentation in the high court,at least 18 months before the dodgy drink driving numbers came out,and NOT.A.SOUL.In mainstream media was intrested in this newsworthy event of Garda corruption,but acted all surprised when the dodgy DUI cases came to light.
    And having a ligitimate sport of practical pistol wiped out by the same govt..You might understand why we are a tad grumpy on this topic.:rolleyes:

How ironic that in a case where a man was shot in a case of mistaken identity, the government wrongly assumes that law abiding shooters were responsible for it. The politicians would do anything just to look good for their cronies in Europe despite their policies being devoid of meaningful substance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Maybe I'm wrong..

In the German speaking regions it's seen as an essential part of a hunters equipment, not for taking the initial shot but as the safest and most humane way to put down an animal that wasn't killed immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

tudderone wrote: »
    Frankonia are doing them in Germany for 580 euros. A lot more than in America where the recommended retail is 400 dollars (365 euros), and they reckon they will be discounted to 350-360 dollars (330 euros). Rip off europe strikes again. They are made in Austria for heaven sake.

https://www.frankonia.de/p/glock/pistole-glock-g44/2006815?lastSelected=f_s_marke&f_s_marke=Glock&navCategoryId=63349
    Would tax be 20% of that too? I never know with the Americans. It's 600 here in Austria too :rolleyes:

In the German speaking regions it's seen as an essential part of a hunters equipment, not for taking the initial shot but as the safest and most humane way to put down an animal that wasn't killed immediately.

Ah but they are civilised countries, not gangsters thiefdoms like here.

Would tax be 20% of that too? I never know with the Americans. It's 600 here in Austria too :rolleyes:

I don't know to be honest. Checking online, the 44 retails around $360 in America, which using the google currency converter is about 310 euros :confused:.

tudderone wrote: »
    Ah but they are civilised countries, not gangsters thiefdoms like here.

Oh! They have plenty of them now as well, courtesy of Frau Merkel inviting in all sorts of "doctors and lawyers" from all parts of the World,to culturally enrich Germany:rolleyes:.
    So much so that parts of Berlin are now ruled by family gangs from Albania and other "Stan" countries,that make our lot look like a very small little families indeed,and so much that the Berlin police have technically ceeded these areas to their control. Picture our traveller weddings,three times the size with firearms of all types being openly displayed and fired off in a built up area of Berlin,Bagdad unload style.

Of course these dangerous people who advocate the end of the German state,and advocate stockpiling food and water for pandemics and whatnot are thourghly investigated and apprehended by the German secret service and police for not having the right political views and access to firearms...
    Reich citizens,preppers,and gun owners who might like a "radical FB post that is... cant be upsetting these ethnic minorities over there and their quaint customs and professions can we?:rolleyes:

Oh! They have plenty of them now as well, courtesy of Frau Merkel inviting in all sorts of "doctors and lawyers" from all parts of the World,to culturally enrich Germany:rolleyes:.
    So much so that parts of Berlin are now ruled by family gangs from Albania and other "Stan" countries,that make our lot look like a very small little families indeed,and so much that the Berlin police have technically ceeded these areas to their control. Picture our traveller weddings,three times the size with firearms of all types being openly displayed and fired off in a built up area of Berlin,Bagdad unload style.

Of course these dangerous people who advocate the end of the German state,and advocate stockpiling food and water for pandemics and whatnot are thourghly investigated and apprehended by the German secret service and police for not having the right political views and access to firearms...
    Reich citizens,preppers,and gun owners who might like a "radical FB post that is... cant be upsetting these ethnic minorities over there and their quaint customs and professions can we?:rolleyes:

Leo is very fond of those people too, despite the fact they would sling him off a tall building very quickly :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DocKS123

Your looking at about €750 for the G44

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

Has anyone got a G44 yet? I'm interested in parting with another €80, this could be my reason

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭JohnFitz2332

Farmlife wrote: »
    Has anyone got a G44 yet? I'm interested in parting with another €80, this could be my reason

You'll be paying more than 80 quid for one haha

Fella down my local range has one. Looks like great fun but not the most accurate

The Americans reckon the Taurus .22 pistols are better value and more accurate. I'm not jumping until i see how this lead crap pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Have you watched 22plinkster youtube video on the 44. I think he tells it as it is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement