Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help I want to change my childs first name

• 12-10-2019 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 27 cuddlebutt

Hello has anyone does this and can explain to me how I can do this ..
    I want to change my daughters first name. We call her Connie for short but she is registered as Consuela, I want reguster her as Constance. I registered her as Consuela when she was two weeks old and I wasn't thinking straight with the triedness. I dislike the name now as she looks more like a Constance.
    Love to hear personal experiences and how I go about it. I said it to our local registrar d she wasn't very helpful infact she laughed and said I have to do it by deed poll but didn't elaborate any further.
    Do I need to contact a solicitor?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Penfailed

cuddlebutt wrote: »
    Hello has anyone does this and can explain to me how I can do this ..
    I want to change my daughters first name. We call her Connie for short but she is registered as Consuela, I want reguster her as Constance. I registered her as Consuela when she was two weeks old and I wasn't thinking straight with the triedness. I dislike the name now as she looks more like a Constance.
    Love to hear personal experiences and how I go about it. I said it to our local registrar d she wasn't very helpful infact she laughed and said I have to do it by deed poll but didn't elaborate any further.
    Thanks

You have to do it by deed poll.

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Electric Picnic, Vantastival, The Cure, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '23 - Stiff Little Fingers, The Wood Burning Savages, Bob Log III, David Kitt, Ludovico Einaudi, DADDY LONG LEGS, The Prodigy, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, The Murder Capital, PJ Harvey, The Bonnevilles (w/Amy Montgomery, Rews, New Pagans), The Undertones (w/Buzzcocks), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Murof

Is your surname Bananahammock?

?
    Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

images.jpg

Mod
    WTF the cartoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cuddlebutt

Penfailed wrote: »
    You have to do it by deed poll.

Do you know how I go about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Citizens Information HERE

Courts Service page HERE

As with most legal matters it is perfectly possible to do it yourself if you feel confident in doing so.

• Advertisement

Murof wrote: »
    Is your surname Bananahammock?

Oh how very original

• Registered Users Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

easiest way is to get a solictor to do it for you unless you're living in Dublin.
    You'll need to get signatures for the forms etc and take them to the high court.
    If you're not living in Dublin or close by get a solictor unless you plan on wasting a whole day travelling to dublin and just waiting for your turn.
    Note that you will need a copy of this deed poll for practically everything going forward be it for passport, licenses, school enrollments etc.
    Had to do it for my son but we changed his surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

You must have been exhausted

You might want to change your boards name while you’re at it :D

Useful information here but I don’t believe the birth cert itself can be altered now

http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/Library3.nsf/pagecurrent/075D7770C94358068025804B005C294B?opendocument&l=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

For a first name you don’t need to go through deed poll, just start using the preferred name and that’s it.

• Advertisement

Blazer wrote: »
    easiest way is to get a solictor to do it for you unless you're living in Dublin.
    You'll need to get signatures for the forms etc and take them to the high court.
    If you're not living in Dublin or close by get a solictor unless you plan on wasting a whole day travelling to dublin and just waiting for your turn.
    Note that you will need a copy of this deed poll for practically everything going forward be it for passport, licenses, school enrollments etc.
    Had to do it for my son but we changed his surname.
    Thankyou for your reply. I am in Wexford. Could I contact a local solicitor who works within family law? Why Dublin?
    Thanks

You must have been exhausted

My grandfather was Spanish. It seemed fitting at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Consuela is much prettier than constance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Consuela is much prettier than constance.

I'm confused as to how one could look like a Constance...

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Cushtie

I've been going by a diffent first name than that on my birth cert. Basically was registered as one thing and then my parents just decided to start calling me by the Irish variant. since forever.

Passport. Driving licence. Pps number etc all in the diffent name version. Never ran into any difficulties with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Truckermal wrote: »
    I'm confused as to how one could look like a Constance...

Constance sounds like Gretas sister, I don't like her, she sounds a bit painful. Consuela sounds like a pretty flamingo dancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Cushtie wrote: »
    I've been going by a diffent first name than that on my birth cert. Basically was registered as one thing and then my parents just decided to start calling me by the Irish variant. since forever.

Passport. Driving licence. Pps number etc all in the diffent name version. Never ran into any difficulties with it.

Exactly. First name is about use rather than what’s on the birth cert.

So once the Op starts using Constance on future ID docs it will eventually just become her child’s name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Quandary

Constance sounds like Gretas sister, I don't like her, she sounds a bit painful. Consuela sounds like a pretty flamingo dancer.

Was thinking the exact same thing.

Constance is a bit up herself. She's rude to serving staff and she isn't at all fond of dogs or children. Even though she's quite pretty, her perpetual scowl adds a harshness to an otherwise attractive face. Never a nice word to say about anyone either.

Consuela on the other hand is much more easy going. She's fun to be around and doesn't care what others think of her. She loves life and lives in the moment. Consuela really lights up a room and greets everyone with genuine heartfelt smile.

Quandary wrote: »
    Was thinking the exact same thing.

Constance is a bit up herself. She's rude to serving staff and she isn't at all fond of dogs or children. Even though she's quite pretty, her perpetual scowl adds a harshness to an otherwise attractive face. Never a nice word to say about anyone either.

Consuela on the other hand is much more easy going. She's fun to be around and doesn't care what others think of her. She loves life and lives in the moment. Consuela really lights up a room and greets everyone with genuine heartfelt smile.
    That made me laugh! Perhaps I should have another daughter and call her Constance.
    Beautiful writing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I don’t like either name. They strike me as trying too hard to be a Puritan. Call her Kate if you need a k/c sound at the start.

Kate’s a nice girl. Pretty but not showy. You one day help her do the dishes while you talk about Kelly and how bad she treats you and how you arnt even sure if she wants to date you. You scald your hand on the hot tap and yelp. Kate laughs no make up, smells abit like a damp dish cloth and washing up liquid. A snot bubble appears at her nostril for just a second. This just makes her laugh abit more. That’s the last time you will give Kelly anything more than courtesy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,811 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

You could just change it to Connie, everyone is doing the short name as full name thing now

ShaneU wrote: »
    You could just change it to Connie, everyone is doing the short name as full name thing now

We call her Connie.

BDI wrote: »
    I don’t like either name. They strike me as trying too hard to be a Puritan. Call her Kate if you need a k/c sound at the start.

Kate’s a nice girl. Pretty but not showy. You one day help her do the dishes while you talk about Kelly and how bad she treats you and how you arnt even sure if she wants to date you. You scald your hand on the hot tap and yelp. Kate laughs no make up, smells abit like a damp dish cloth and washing up liquid. A snot bubble appears at her nostril for just a second. This just makes her laugh abit more. That’s the last time you will give Kelly anything more than courtesy.

Haha my name is Kate! Pretty bit not showy. What can I say I am an unassuming beauty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Haha my name is Kate! Pretty bit not showy. What can I say I am an unassuming beauty!

I read that and could have swore you said you were Katie perry. I had to read it four or five times. You arnt her are you?

Quandary wrote: »

Yeah but after midnight, wow, just wow :pac::pac::pac:

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Lads, calm down please. No need to lose the run of yourselves over a child's name thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Go the whole hog - Constance Markievicz!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Thanks

A Soliciotor could get the template, insert the blanks, print on correct paper, provide the comm for oaths... but would you then still have to travel to Dublin to have it enrolled, or because the solr is a solr can they post it and vouch that they met you?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

I just think of constipation when I hear Constance and I picture a rather stern sort banging her finger into a table to make a point with a pursed mouth.

Consuela evokes thoughts of Penelope Cruz, Spanish guitars, frilly dancing skirts, sunshine, gorgeous flowers etc etc.

Why don’t you just change it to Connie if that’s what you call her.

I’ve never got this whole thing of “His name is Michael but we’re going to call him Dave for the rest of his life” Just christen a child the name they will be known as. Nicknames come with time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

My 85 year old mother is of a family of 6 none of whom have ever been known by the names on their birth certs. It’s not even a problem now when getting a passport.
    Just call the child the name you like, don’t bother with the deed poll for a forename.

Advertisement