Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Assisted Suicide

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Casuistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭slither12

What about assisted suicide in the case of a psychiatric illness? Canada was supposed to extend it next month but have delayed it until 2024 due to concerns that there ween't enough safeguards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Right now I'd be far less comfortable with assisted suicide in the case of psychiatric illness for three reasons:-

1. I (thankfully) haven't any personal experience or have known anyone so affected by psychiatric illness that they wanted to commit suicide but I am aware it is one of the key reasons people take their own lives.
    2. Psychiatric illness's are not in and of themselves physically "terminal" as far as I'm aware but then I'm really not very well informed in that regard.
    3. Psychiatric illness and its severity, which might have to be assessed and judged, before someone could seek an assisted suicide would require far more subjective judgement than someone with a terminal illness who's prognosis is well understood and accepted amongst medical experts.

The above does not mean I think people with severe psychiatric illness are suffering any less than those with non psychiatric terminal illnesses and it does not mean I think it's impossible for a safe protocol to be developed to allow those with the most severe and life debilitating psychiatric illnesses, with little or no possibility of improvement, to have a safe pathway to a release from such suffering via assisted suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I think we need to be careful employing animal analogies as some were doing earlier in the thread.

Yes animals are put down to alleviate extreme suffering but they are also hunted for sport, farmed and then put down in order to be eaten or put down when not economically viable.

I'm not opposed to assisted suicide in an ideal world but I do see it as potentially open to abuse in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

If you replace the word "animals" with "much loved pets" it'll give the correct context when referencing animal analogies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Advertisement