Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

haha Meath down, taking a hammering from Louth delighted. Welcome to Division 3 lads :D

No excuses really Louth and Westmeath are not great sides by any stretch. Surprising to see Monaghan come down. Least there will be a few more local matches in next years league.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

The GAA records beg to differ. I'm not disputing that the goal should not have stood. But it did and Meath won no matter how much you cry about it. We've had our fair share of disgraceful refereeing decisions go against us in the past but we certainly don't go on about it nearly two years later :rolleyes:
    Thanks Dark Knight. Well done to yourselves on promotion. It seems like a lifetime ago that we played each other in Navan. Things could have been so so different for us had Shane McAnarney's last minute attempt been an inch or two to the left :(
    The wheels really came off after that game. I honestly cannot remember us playing well for any part of the remaining four games.

I'll say it again proud county hammer you will be back soon I have no doubts thanks btw delighted with result today for Kildare

Fnuck the begrudgers mate they have wee minds ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Yep. Kildare's winning point being a great example (from what I remember he was allowed walk straight through and had a handy fisted point).
    Our defending has been absolutely laughable at times. Our attempts at tackling mainly consisted of a Meath player dragging halfheartedly out of the player with the ball which mostly ended up in a free given away or the man with the ball getting away.

Might be optimistic, but we could look back on this and realise it was the best thing to happen to Meath football. We've (hopefully) hit bottom now and maybe this experience will give the county board the kick up the arse that's needed to change things in the county.
    I hope to God that's the case.

Yes it was a handy point i think. I presume you mean Mark Ward style tackling? Don't really like having to pick on him but I think he's just a disaster..

Hope you're right too, I don't think they can actually sink any lower! Theres such a lot of changing that needs to be done I don't even know where one would start.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Welcome to Division 3 lads(Or should we say the Border and Midlands division plus Antrim and Clare) .
    Being a Cavan man, i take no satisfaction in seeing a fellow traditionally strong and football-mad county struggle, even if it is you Meath bogmen. :D
    Do you lads reckon Banty will even last until the championship?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Hammar wrote: »
    Welcome to Division 3 lads(Or should we say the Border and Midlands division plus Antrim and Clare) .
    Being a Cavan man, i take no satisfaction in seeing a fellow traditionally strong and football-mad county struggle, even if it is you Meath bogmen. :D
    Do you lads reckon Banty will even last until the championship?
    lets hope Banty gets a few more years in the job yet.....:D

maybe Meath will put in a bid for Seanie Johnston before the transfer window closes.....:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

LOL OH YOU BITTER LITTLE MAN!!!

Meath are a proud and fine footballing county, how dare you belittle them!!

Louth lost a game and their fans attacked ref what does that say?? No county pride and crowds are like soccer fans!!!

Lower end of top ten in country??? LOL PRAY YOU DON'T PLAY KILDARE ANYTIME SOON I'll be reminding you of that post

Its no the first time youve made sweeping generalisations in relation to Louth fans, was at a club game not too many years ago in Kildare, at the final whistle, the ref received a full force belt from an umbrella held by one of your fellow county supporters and was verbally abused by many others. No County pride, Soccer fans, or were you one of them? or was I one of those who attacked Mr Sludden.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Yes it was a handy point i think. I presume you mean Mark Ward style tackling? Don't really like having to pick on him but I think he's just a disaster..
    Nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The Hyde is strictly a GAA ground lads, none of that american football craic when you arrive in March. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

LOL OH YOU BITTER LITTLE MAN!!!

Meath are a proud and fine footballing county, how dare you belittle them!!

Louth lost a game and their fans attacked ref what does that say?? No county pride and crowds are like soccer fans!!!

Lower end of top ten in country??? LOL PRAY YOU DON'T PLAY KILDARE ANYTIME SOON I'll be reminding you of that post
    remind me how louth got to the leinster final in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

As a Dub, I find myself not taking any satisfaction in seeing what is going on in Meath happen the way it is.Maybe that is in part to wanting Leinster as a province to be as strong as it can be to help prepare other Leinster counties who make the latter stages of the All Ireland whether it be Dublin or even if it is Kildare.

The fact of the matter is Banty will be gone by the end of the year.If Eamon O Brien got shafted for delivering Meath a Leinster Title (controverisal), beating Dublin well in a Leinster semi and retaining division 2 status, then Bantys cards are firmly marked. Of course he will say he will fight etc but all talk is nonsense.

The players are there to be competitive but they are not and Banty is not getting the best of them. The Brays are getting on and there is no midfield.Cian Ward needs to be more responsible for scores from play and there is no game plan.

Wicklow will fancy their chances big time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

It is a sad state of affairs when their own fans were laughing at them (myself included). Over the years I have seen bad performances but yesterday was that of a group of hungover strangers against let's face it, a poor side made look like superstars.

It is a sad state of affairs when their own fans were laughing at them (myself included). Over the years I have seen bad performances but yesterday was that of a group of hungover strangers against let's face it, a poor side made look like superstars.

I don't think Banty can shoulder all the blame lets be honest.It will be of small consolation however as the county board will let him go at the end of the season.They would want to do that to scapegoat him as the pressure is on them with the Boylan issue and underage setup and the appointment of Banty in the first place.

Morale is down to the players too.Sure they lost some really tight games against Kildare and Galway who looked impressive yesterday but they should have enough resolve to believe until the very end to know it was up to them to pull out all the stops in ensuring their survival.

remind me how louth got to the leinster final in 2010.

You caught Kildare on a bad day that was really embarrassing losing to Louth trust me!!

Sure Meath won Leinster that year and fair play to them :D can you not see how bitter Louth fans are coming across here?? Terrible sportsmanship.

Also Meath are a proud county no wonder state of affairs stings, I remember when in kildares dark days the teams no one wanted to play were Dublin or Meath!!

I honestly do hope Meath spring back from all this can anyone speak from a club point of view like how competitive are league and championship matches locally?? Also do you think if team was overhauled are the players there at the moment??

I honestly do hope Meath spring back from all this can anyone speak from a club point of view like how competitive are league and championship matches locally?? Also do you think if team was overhauled are the players there at the moment??

Hard to say really. I do not know of the club scene but it was alluded to that Meath were losing to the "weaker counties" on the club front which doesn't bode too well from a collective point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

i have to say ive been going to meath games since i was seven and yesterday was the lowest i ever felt.first up wed no game plan, louth dropped lads back in the sceond half playing into the wind and took short kick outs.we done neither, in fact everyone can see that every kick out gally takes goes down on top of mark ward and hes got his man jumping just to break it to five or six team mates that move in to wait on the break.stephen bray is many things but will never be a free taker.mickey burke is a good player but hes no corner back.yet these things are persisted on.up until yesterday id defend banty but he hasnt got a plan, or if he does it is been ignored.

but the players neednt think they are getting away scot free either.what a gutless bunch of players we have.what mchugh said last night on league sunday was spot on.these lads seem to think theyve made it playing for meath well they need a sharp wake up call right away.and dont even get me started on the county board.everything from underage development to the senior championship is wrong in this county and its why were gone so bad.barneys a nice chap but he hasnt got it in him to be a county chairman and should never have got it.complete clear out needed there too.

on another note fair play to the camoige girls yesterday, that was a good win.but could someone tell me why at a national league game it the linesmen were from both teams and judging from the reaction of some sat behind me the umpires were from each county too.bad form that

blackbelt wrote: »
    Hard to say really. I do not know of the club scene but it was alluded to that Meath were losing to the "weaker counties" on the club front which doesn't bode too well from a collective point of view.

Prob not a good sign alright, although the management board etc need to cop on
    And get back to grass roots as the fella says, the players yesterday were shocking was watching highlights and a very mediocre Louth team looked quite good due to the fact the Meath lads were not contesting the ball at all looked like they didn't want to try and tbh that's just sad I would sell my nuts to play for my county but alas it wasn't to be for me :(

Prob not a good sign alright, although the management board etc need to cop on
    And get back to grass roots as the fella says, the players yesterday were shocking was watching highlights and a very mediocre Louth team looked quite good due to the fact the Meath lads were not contesting the ball at all looked like they didn't want to try and tbh that's just sad I would sell my nuts to play for my county but alas it wasn't to be for me :(

A lot of people would say that Karma came to collect but I think its nonsense. I really do believe this stems from the shafting Eamon O Brien got from the county board and club delegates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

blackbelt wrote: »
    A lot of people would say that Karma came to collect but I think its nonsense. I really do believe this stems from the shafting Eamon O Brien got from the county board and club delegates.

Nail on the head right there. The treatment of EO'B by some club delegates was shameful and it has come home to roost. How they could oust a man who had landed them the Leinster title is beyond comprehension. Ulterior motives were undoubtedly at play. I hope EO'B is enjoying his return to grass roots football with Syddan and even though he was treated terribly by some within Meath football I'm sure he takes absolutely no pleasure in their demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

if i was a kildare supporter i would just be grateful that my team was probably in the top ten (even if it is at the lower end of it)

And if I were from Louth I would be mortified that my team was in the bottom ten, (especially that it was at the lower end of it :) )

By the way, Kildare/Tyrone will be an interesting match, Tyrones first big test of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Nail on the head right there. The treatment of EO'B by some club delegates was shameful and it has come home to roost. How they could oust a man who had landed them the Leinster title is beyond comprehension. Ulterior motives were undoubtedly at play. I hope EO'B is enjoying his return to grass roots football with Syddan and even though he was treated terribly by some within Meath football I'm sure he takes absolutely no pleasure in their demise.

eamonn was the wrong man in the wrong place at the wrong time.being honest i didnt rate him as a manager, thought he took too long to make changes but the reason the delegates heaved against him was down to the executive not giving them a say in either his reappointment or the handling of the leinster final fiasco, cant remember which.the excutive put their hands out to be slapped by delegates and clubs and it duly happened.to be fair to eamonn i wouldve rather we got luke dempsey in at the time eamonn was appointed but again those in power made a balls of that

• Advertisement

The experiment is over lads, we should have a Meath man over the team. As our friend from Kildare stated, we are a proud footballing county. With the game in such disarray at present, it would be unfair to ask another outsider to come in. The management needs to be local, and it needs to be supported in the right way.
    I also agree with one of the earlier posts, Barney is a lovely fella, always was, and I think his reputation has been tarnished over the last few months, which is very unfair to such a loyal servant of Meath football. As big a &%$* as Fintan Ginnity was, he got the job done. I always thought that he was hated more for being from North Meath than for anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

Lads, can any of ye tell me what happened to Mark o' Sullivan??
    Thought he'd be makin a break-through this year after his performances last year. Looked like a decent prospect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

And if I were from Louth I would be mortified that my team was in the bottom ten, (especially that it was at the lower end of it :) )

By the way, Kildare/Tyrone will be an interesting match, Tyrones first big test of the year
    yes louth is the 2nd worst team in ireland and they have just bet the worst one by a long shot. meath need to go back to the physical game they played under boylan. use more elbows, off the ball digs and if that doesnt work get some of seans magic herb mixes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Lads, I am a Wexford man and looking in from the outside this seems to be falling at the managers door. Banty has not got anywhere near what he should have out of that bunch of players. People may argue that the manager is not the be all and end all but look at our footballers down here. I would argue that under any other manager other than Jason Ryan there is no way that we would have contested two leinster finals and an all ireland semi in the last four years. Banty is doing something seriously wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Kildare, Dublin, Cavan, great football next door neighbours. Most Louth people can give and take, but they have a serious nasty element also.

Lads, I am a Wexford man and looking in from the outside this seems to be falling at the managers door. Banty has not got anywhere near what he should have out of that bunch of players. People may argue that the manager is not the be all and end all but look at our footballers down here. I would argue that under any other manager other than Jason Ryan there is no way that we would have contested two leinster finals and an all ireland semi in the last four years. Banty is doing something seriously wrong.

Agree in part, I believed a couple of years ago we had a forward line to compete with anyone, our midfield and backs have been the issue, under Banty, he has literally dissolved our forward threat with his negative tactics. Will the Woodies win Wexford again this year?

yes louth is the 2nd worst team in ireland and they have just bet the worst one by a long shot. meath need to go back to the physical game they played under boylan. use more elbows, off the ball digs and if that doesnt work get some of seans magic herb mixes

The big difference is we are only visiting the bottom 10, for Louth its an ongoing existence, and not suprising with the attitude of the likes of you. Spitefulness and jealousy gets what it deserves, not matter what you say or how many times you keep saying it, the result stays the same

Leinster Football Champions 2010 - Meath :)

mattser wrote: »
    Kildare, Dublin, Cavan, great football next door neighbours. Most Louth people can give and take, but they have a serious nasty element also.

I have came across nasty elements in Cavan and Dublin as well, its the nature of neighbouring counties. I was at a Meath u21 game back in 96 vs Cavan and it was one of the most nasty atmospheres I was ever at
    I was also at a few nasty Dublin Meath encounters and Meath Westmeath as well. For the most part fans are genuine and fair, but there are always a few gob****es, we have them as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

I think we need a Louth GAA Discussion Thread.

• Advertisement

I think we need a Louth GAA Discussion Thread.
    Options for the title of the Louth Discussion thread

1. Meath GAA discussion Thread
    2. How we were cheated out of Leinster in 2010
    3. Free the Drogheda two
    4. Louth Football Highlights 1952-2012 (No posts)
    5. Hopes for championship 2013

Advertisement