Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Turniing warmer but much colder weather on the horizon

• 14-03-2011 4:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Folks,

It will be turning much milder towards the end of this week - temperatures could potentially hit the mid teens and it will be sunnier in a continental flow. Very pleasent for a while. Best to enjoy it while we have it because signs are a far colder period is imminent after that as high pressure retrogresses to the Northwest opening the Northeasterly floodgates once again. Snow and ice will become a problem again. But I think the warmer weather initially will be welcome and it really should be very nice with clear blue skies for a time. Weather we can all enjoy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭pauldry

good on ya darkman

eternal snow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭YESROH

do you have any time scales on when it might get colder. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Might be reasonably cold in 90 hours(4 days) or so but anything severe that was a possibility around the 21st-23rd has now been downgraded

coldtb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Darkman2 trying to keep the peace on Boards weather. Sunshine for the Spring/Summer lovers and snow for the snow lovers!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Danno wrote: »

Thats incredible.

I would love to see an event like that !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Yuss cant wait- we really deserve a good cold snap now and feet of snow :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

It was the heaviest snow of the 20th century in Ireland and it occurred in April.

A Low Pressure came down from Scandinavia...

Rslp19170401.gif

Rslp19170402.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

Never mind the horizon, Netweather are showing a couple of centimetres of lying snow by tomorrow morning, in the eastern half of the country with temperatures inland of about 1c. Does anyone think something could come of this? Going by the info on netweather, it would seem that higher ground away from the coast could get a dusting, at the very least!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

highdef wrote: »
    Never mind the horizon, Netweather are showing a couple of centimetres of lying snow by tomorrow morning, in the eastern half of the country with temperatures inland of about 1c. Does anyone think something could come of this? Going by the info on netweather, it would seem that higher ground away from the coast could get a dusting, at the very least!

The 12z GFS is showing this as rain I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Danno wrote: »
    It was the heaviest snow of the 20th century in Ireland and it occurred in April.

A Low Pressure came down from Scandinavia...

You can read the Times report on that April 1917 snow in my previous post here -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64513587&highlight=1917#post64513587

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

From what I've heard the heaviest snow in that April 1st snowstorm was along the western seaboard. I can remember reading a Philip Eden article describing huge drifts on the Belmullet peninsula. I think its almost certain that a polar low embedded in a northerly airflow was responsible and not low pressure moving down from Scandinavia. As far as I know there were no reports of snow in eastern areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its a "Cloudy" scene across the country tonight....http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

All I need to say is...snow :pac:

What a beautiful a day, nothing like a bit of heat in the sun to raise one's spirits at this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

sweet , hopefully another blast of snow soon............:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Can't wait for the cold to end.
    Enjoyed the snow in Nov-Dec
    But looking forward to summer and getting out of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I've been looking forward to summer since July 2006 :rolleyes:

The Dublin Airport frost hollow saga continues: Casement 3c and -1 at the airport??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Got ewes dropping lambs in less than a fortnights time. Snow is very much the enemy at this time of year :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Its showing as 17.5c here in Cork at the moment (feels like it as well) and met is stating that temps are going up to around 14 or 15 next week. I really cannot see any snow coming now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭compsys

I've been looking forward to summer since July 2006 :rolleyes:

The Dublin Airport frost hollow saga continues: Casement 3c and -1 at the airport??

Surely Met E are gonna do something about it? It's giving ridiculous readings sometimes. Dublin Airport recorded below average temps for 10 months last year. According to the data that comes off the station Dublin is heading for a new ice age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

compsys wrote: »
    Surely Met E are gonna do something about it? It's giving ridiculous readings sometimes. Dublin Airport recorded below average temps for 10 months last year. According to the data that comes off the station Dublin is heading for a new ice age.

Going purely on an unscientific basis,i've noticed reasonable variables in temperature around the airport. I work at EIDW and ride a motorbike from Lucan to the airport every day. You tend to feel temperature changes on your legs and it can often vary by an average of 2-3 degrees between Lucan and the airport.(i did say it was unscientific!:p)

Based on last nights temps i'd guess that Dublin airport was accurate and Casement a bit high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Another cold threat fail! :pac: ;)

Spring has sprung and there is no turning back now.

Mike65, while it may feel like spring, it certainly is not with regards to the temperatures, most of Ireland is running 1.5c below average this month so far...

Sure it's not mild in the shade but nor it is cold. Its March. Stay in the sun and you're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

mike65 wrote: »
    Sure it's not mild in the shade but nor it is cold. Its March. Stay in the sun and you're grand.
    Speak for yourself, it was cold yesturday.
    It was -4 this morning.
    Raining and 6c today feels very cold.

Difference betwen South East and North West I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

mike65 wrote: »
    Difference betwen South East and North West I guess.
    Indeed lets just say the hot water bottle is getting good use this weather :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

lord lucan wrote: »
    Going purely on an unscientific basis,i've noticed reasonable variables in temperature around the airport. I work at EIDW and ride a motorbike from Lucan to the airport every day. You tend to feel temperature changes on your legs and it can often vary by an average of 2-3 degrees between Lucan and the airport.(i did say it was unscientific!:p)

Based on last nights temps i'd guess that Dublin airport was accurate and Casement a bit high.

Funny you should say that. I commute through Lucan, and on cold evenings I always need to turn the heater in the car up approaching Lucan and then have to turn it down again after I have gone through Lucan. This is unscientific as well as I've no outside temp gauge in the car, but I'd say the temperature in Lucan is 2 -3 degrees lower than surrounding areas !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

Lucan village itself is in a valley so on calm evenings, it's very likely that Lucan experiences cold pooling whereby cold air sinks to the bottom of the valley (the village) and then sits there because it has nowhere to go.

Pure guess though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Here, it's mostly pleasant during the daytime, can be a bit of a sting in it some days. Pretty cold still at night still though.

Advertisement