Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

macOS 10.15 Catalina

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm still on El Capitan and I'm staying here. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Am I the only one that this update went smoothly for? Apart from getting stuck on setting up mac which I solved by just unplugging my Mac.

No issues installing for me either. Went through quite smoothly actually. Now I don’t like the changes in the new Music app but that’s a different story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Late 2015 iMac here. No issues, but haven't really looked around much yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Honestly have no idea why folks immediately upgrade to a new MacOS version. The newer releases are never stable enough for my liking until at least 10.1x.2. Why not stick with Mojave/High Sierra or something that works?

Indeed - always takes a little time for hackintoshs to be stable also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

But with Gmail or Outlook the mail can be re-downloaded from their servers. Is this bug just relating to personal servers or what’s the exact issue. Article is a little unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

No problems here with my mailbox.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

DubDJ wrote: »
    But with Gmail or Outlook the mail can be re-downloaded from their servers. Is this bug just relating to personal servers or what’s the exact issue. Article is a little unclear.

Re-downloading from the server is how I (mostly) resolved my issue, but that takes time and checking every single message isn’t possible so I can’t be sure I didn’t lose emails. The real danger is that the corrupted messages (headers with no content) will be synced back to the server. I also have a lot of offline mailboxes from old email accounts which can’t be downloaded again. I have backups but it’s a big inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Worked fine for me (including a few Gmail email accounts), except that the latest version of Safari (13.0.2) that comes with Catalina doesn't (yet?) support Autofill on 1Password - I'm holding off upgrading my main Mac until (hopefully) this can be fixed.

Type 17 wrote: »
    Worked fine for me (including a few Gmail email accounts), except that the latest version of Safari (13.0.2) that comes with Catalina doesn't (yet?) support Autofill on 1Password - I'm holding off upgrading my main Mac until (hopefully) this can be fixed.

Are you using an old version of 1Password? If so you you have the buy the new version. I'm not going to bother. iCloud keychain is good enough for me and I can just copy and paste anything that is still stored in 1Password.

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm using 1Password 7 - I upgraded (€) recently, to stay compatible with Safari 13, but I bought a licence version, as I can't be dealing with any more subscriptions.

iCloud Keychain is good, but I use 1Password for loads of autofilling besides passwords, including Identities, Credit Cards, Addresses, etc (I have over 300 items in the vault).

Type 17 wrote: »
    ...the latest version of Safari (13.0.2) that comes with Catalina doesn't (yet?) support Autofill on 1Password...

Actually, scratch that, I got it working with one more reboot (strange as I had rebooted twice already :confused: )

10.15.1 is out!

Taking forever to download...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

10.15.1 is out!

Taking forever to download...

I had to roll back to Mojave 10.14.6 on my 2019 MBP. Catalina 10.15 was throwing up all sorts of issues for me, unresponsive applications, dock disappearing, keyboard not being recognised occasionally and signing me out of iCloud. I tried several fresh installs and not much improvement so reverted back to Mojave and has been perfect again since.

I might try Catalina again in a few months times.

There used to be a time Apple made computers, now they make phones and only the interns work on the computer stuff anymore. I don't trust Apple when it comes to Mac OS anymore. I used to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Same here. Their software releases keep getting worse.

For the most part I would say Apple's software has improved, just not as much you would expect it to. Their competitors have made bigger leaps but from a far lower standard. Windows for example was borderline unusable for most its existence. People expect better from Apple.

They need to stop releasing OS updates, especially Mac ones, to coincide with new iPhones. Release the OSs when they are ready.

They need to stop releasing OS updates, especially Mac ones, to coincide with new iPhones. Release the OSs when they are ready.
    ^^This. Apple needs to FOCUS on updates when they are READY and not as a propaganda tool.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

For the most part I would say Apple's software has improved, just not as much you would expect it to. Their competitors have made bigger leaps but from a far lower standard. Windows for example was borderline unusable for most its existence. People expect better from Apple.

I have to totally disagree, SP. I’m getting Constant restarting on its own accord. Not seeing NAS units. Network performance becoming worse with every update. Constant applications not responding. Finder crashes. This is with a standard MacBook Pro. For the first time ever I’m seriously looking at trying out a Windows machine to see if it is any better.
    I started with 7.0 OS which was an absolute nightmare, probably the worst software release ever, until they made it worse with each update to 7.6. Then it was oil on water and it was so good through 8.0 and 9.0
    OS X was a huge change and took a while to bed down, but once they got it right, it was amazing. The last 3 or 4 big updates have been really, really poor, IMO. It seems to be style over substance now. It was always the combination of software and hardware that made macs work. Now it all seems to be about making the hardware as expensive as possible while putting no effort into software development. Unless its developing emojis.

I remember fondly the best laptop they ever produced, the Wall Street PowerBook. 13inch screen, 2 bays for CD drive/battery/floppy drive. Every connection you needed back then, including a modem port.........but not on the 12” version. Brilliant hardware and software working in combination. Started with OS8.0 but went up into the early OS Xs. Weighed a ton, but a total mobile powerhouse.
    iPad performance isn’t much better. I find apps freeze a lot more, Safari seems to stop for a fag break when loading pages at first. Battery performance seems to be getting worse across different types and generations of iPad. Terrible seeing how buggy 13 was yet they still released it.

Totally agree about releasing when ready, not to fit an agenda.

whiterebel, Apple have a long history of releasing buggy and unstable point-oh releases that settle down nicely after a few months. Some of the most stable Mac OS releases were terrible at launch. Apart from the very embarrassing installation screen bug, Catalina is just a return to that kind of "wait for the point two or three" type release. The last few annual updates have been fairly smooth sailing IMO. They weren't great upgrades in terms of new features, I agree, but they avoided my worst fears about what annual Mac OS updates would be like. Catalina has rekindled them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭raher1

according to this my cs6 photoshop is gone if i upgrade to catlina
    is this true?
    https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-cs6-cannot-be-opened-after-catalina

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

raher1 wrote: »
    according to this my cs6 photoshop is gone if i upgrade to catlina
    is this true?
    https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-cs6-cannot-be-opened-after-catalina

Yes. You can view which Apps are 32bit in the System Inspector.

Looks like I will never downgrade to Catalina - ever. I use PS6 a fair bit.

Q: When is progress not progress?
    A: When Apple makes decisions for you.

I understand the arguments around dropping support for 32 bit apps, especially around apps and games which are no longer maintained and nostalgia that comes with using some of those.

But with stuff like Adobe CS6, it was replaced over 7 years ago with a new and modern version. I get some people don’t like paying for subscription plans but there are plenty of alternatives like Pixelmator pro and affinity designer etc that can replace some of these apps.

Cant really blame Apple that 7 year old software doesn’t work on your OS anymore. At some point you have to decide to drop the legacy baggage of the past to be able to move on. Again, I can understand people’s frustration with dropping support, but not for stuff like Adobe in my opinion.

Mr.S wrote: »
    CS6 is what, 7 years old?

At some point your going to need to let it go. I'd be more annoyed at Adobe for going to a subscription only model with Photoshop CC.

My Laptop is 7 years old, my phone is 9 years old, my car is 14 years old and still in good running order. I'll let these go when I'm good and ready. Same for CS6.

Catalina is just terrible. Constant re-starts. When logging in it takes about 15 minutes for anything to be ready such as web browsing, checking email or whatever. The NAS problem is widespread apparently. I don't remember such a flawed release in a long, long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

cnocbui wrote: »
    My Laptop is 7 years old, my phone is 9 years old, my car is 14 years old and still in good running order. I'll let these go when I'm good and ready. Same for CS6.

fair enough .. but don't expect to be able to use unleaded petrol in a vintage car either

whiterebel wrote: »
    Catalina is just terrible. Constant re-starts. When looking in it takes about 15 minutes for anything to be ready such as web browsing, checking email or whatever. The NAS problem is widespread apparently. I don't ever remember such a flawed release in a long, long time.

Are you using an older machine by any chance? Can't say I've any any major issues with 10.15. During the first release I had the dock disappear once, restart fixed it. Other than that it's been easy going, but I've a new machine so could be the reason why I've had no issues.

Funny enough, booting up is now a lot faster than Mohave for me too, used to stay on the black screen with the Apple logo for a good lot longer than it does now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

DubDJ wrote: »
    Are you using an older machine by any chance? Can't say I've any any major issues with 10.15. During the first release I had the dock disappear once, restart fixed it. Other than that it's been easy going, but I've a new machine so could be the reason why I've had no issues.

Funny enough, booting up is now a lot faster than Mohave for me too, used to stay on the black screen with the Apple logo for a good lot longer than it does now.

I have the latest 2019 MBP (almost maxed out) and have had nothing but issues with it as I mentioned above. Running Mojave on it again the last week or so and it's flawless again. I'll check out Catalina again in a few months after some more updates.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I installed 10.15.1 on my mid 2014 15” over the weekend and it seems fine. I only had one occasionally used 32 bit app (Xfoil) that I can run in one of my VMs anyway.

I’ll install it on my 2015 5k iMac a little later, probably around 10.15.2. I’m a little hesitant after reading this article:

https://eclecticlight.co/2019/10/31/a-plain-guide-to-mac-firmware-and-its-problems/

Advertisement