Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a Nightclub Bouncer

1235»

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 57 Verified rep I'm a nightclub bouncer, AMA

If it's down to you been knocked to the floor or seriously hurt will you go full on to take the other person out?

I don't mean kill as that of course would be extreme but stranger things have happened unfortunately.

I've been assaulted a few times in my line of work but also the odd one on a night out.

I've been hit from behind on a few occasions too.

Of course it’s all about using force that’s reasonable in the circumstances. If it’s a situation where I think I’m in serious danger of being injured or worse I would have no problem going all out on the individual.
    At the end of the day, we also have a duty of care to all of the other patrons in the venue too, so a serious threat like that has to be dealt with.

FanadMan wrote: »
    TL/DR: Do you refuse admission on appearance alone?

Was only once refused entry to a club by a bouncer for being drunk. I wasn't....was the designated driver for the group that night. For some reason she took a dislike to me out of a group of five. Only reason I can think of is that I had long hair for a man (I'm a metal-head btw). Wasn't badly dressed or smelly lol.

Anyway, I left and walked to the nearest ATM to get some cash and came back. This bouncer was gone. Spoke to the other three lads at the door and they let me in without a problem. They said that she was always picking on different people for no reason.

Was walking through the club, me with a glass of water in hand, and met her. She recognised me and straight away and asked me to leave. I went with her to the door and in front of the other bouncers, I asked her why. "Because you are drunk" was her answer again. Thankfully the rest of the bouncers stood up for me and said that I wasn't drunk and was only drinking water. Her response was "I don't like men with long hair, they are always troublemakers!". The manager was called and I was told to enjoy my night and that I'd be welcome back anytime.

Heard a week or two later that she had been sacked and no other club would hire her as she had caused so many similar problems.

So, have you or your colleagues refused entry on appearance alone or on some silly prejudice?

BTW, I have great respect for door staff, and frontline staff in general - you guys have to deal with the worst of the worst.

The only reason that we would refuse entry on appearance is if somebody had clearly fallen over and destroyed themselves or torn clothes etc.

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Are you and other bouncers aware that a PSA licence grants you zero extra or special powers? Are you worried about being taken to court for assault or for a breach of the Equal Stauts Act?

Do ask permission before touching someone for example?

Yes we’re fully aware that we have the same powers as anybody else. We have no fear of being prosecuted once we use force that is reasonable in the situation.

No, we wouldn’t ask for permission before touching someone, unless it was for a search.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Great AMA

Have you ever been in a situation where you've thrown out someone or refused someone where it has become physical and in the struggle you've hurt the person? Obviously in that struggle things can happen and by complete accident they've fallen and bust a lip or hit their head etc etc.

How would you deal with a situation like this? have you thought to yourself "I've really ****ed up here"?

If you have, have those people or if you've known anyone in a similar situation been worried that you or the venue would be sued?

also if situations like that have happened would many of the claims result in a payout or be thrown out?

Nothing like that has ever happened to me. Of course you’d be worried that somebody would be injured, but again it’s all about reasonable force. I haven’t been aware of any payouts in my club but I’m sure it must be a somewhat regular occurrence.

If your name's not down are you definitely not coming in?

We never have a guest list.

• Advertisement

I've just today been granted my PSA licence, any advice on what to expect? I'm leaning towards either Door Supervisor or even a mobile patrol driver. Haven't applied as yet. I do have previous experience but it was pre PSA days.

If the last time you’ve done security is before the PSA was formed, expect the job to be a lot more about verbal communication than physical force.

The days of the stereotypical ‘bouncer’ are all but gone.

If there was an altercation 30 or 40 yards down the street and one person was obviously gettimg badly beaten,would you intervene or ignore cos its not on the premises?

That’s a tough one and I’ve never been in such a situation. I would say we definitely arent supposed to get involved but at the end of the day if someone is getting badly beaten, you’re not going to care what your boss thinks about it. You’re going to intervene.

Payton wrote: »
    Great thread. I was a doorman for 10+ yrs in Dublin City, 99.9% of the clientele were fantastic and you'd get the odd punter who just wouldn't give up.
    My motto was treat people the way you'd like to be treated, and it stood by me thankfully.
    My question is..I'm not sure how long you are working as a doorman? But since you started have you noticed a increase of people's attitude as in more aggressive be it through drink or other substances?

I’ve been working for over a year at this stage. I’ve definitely noticed an increase in drug usage, which has probably lead to more aggressive behaviour.

How have you found working with female bouncers? I know as a former patron of various clubs in Ireland, I found some (not all) to be very aggressive. It was almost as if they were over compensating and felt a need to try and impose themselves. I would understand that to a certain extent, but it certainly did not make for a pleasant experience as a club goer. In fairness it's been a while since I have been going clubbing in Ireland so things may be a lot more professional now.

Any female security I’ve ever worked with have been lovely, but that being said they do usually seem to be more aggressive towards male patrons.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭J Cheevor Loophole

And the Full Moon oul' son.....do you have an opinion ? does it bring out more Lunnies than normal ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Curious Scot

Hi and thank you for putting yourself in the spotlight with this A.M.A.

Were you ever in a situation where you had refused admission to somebody because you believed them to be under age, and then had the manager or proprietor overrule you and demand that you admit them? I used to work in a nightclub where this was a regular occurrence. There would be a crowd of those we believed to be underage standing outside the entrance and the manager or proprietor would tell us to let them in saying it didn't look good for the premises to have such a crowd standing outside. This would happen even if there was already a maximum crowd in the premises. Despite us pointing this out, we still had no option but to do as he asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Are you familiar with the "Ask for Angela" idea, and have you ever seen it in action? If so, what did you do in the situation (without giving too much away)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Thanks for doing this AMA

My question is:

Do management/security pick prospective patrons out via CCTV from a q for a club?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

has your job coloured your perspective of alcohol consumption - i.e does it put you off drinking yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Do you think Ireland should get a bit stricter regarding serving people who are obviously hammered? I used to work in pubs in Sydney where they are very strict (too strict actually to the point where its killed the nightlife.) I'm not suggesting we go down that road but I see a lot of people being served who are bananas drunk and a lot of trouble happening at night time might be prevented by telling people they've had enough. The laws are already there it's just not enforced by cops. Do you ever see cops coming in to do inspections?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Ever been injured while on duty?

Ever been in a situation where not enough security staff turned up on the night? What's the protocol for such an event?

How much of an advantage does being sober give you against someone who is pretty tanked? Do sober patrons ever start fights? Would you tackle them differently to drunks?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

When I was walking through Temple Bar one late evening I seen a bouncer run after an obvious skanger down the street. The bouncer had a golf umbrella and he tripped up the fleeing skanger by reaching out and hooking the umbrella handle around this foot where he fell flat on his face. I wouldn't know what instigated the incident but I just wondered are bouncers 'allowed' to tackle ppl outside their place of work or only in it's confines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Have you ever had any bother when out for a night by someone who remembered you from when you were working as a bouncer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Have you or those working with you had a shag on the job ?

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭dermo888

AllForIt wrote: »
    When I was walking through Temple Bar one late evening I seen a bouncer run after an obvious skanger down the street. The bouncer had a golf umbrella and he tripped up the fleeing skanger by reaching out and hooking the umbrella handle around this foot where he fell flat on his face. I wouldn't know what instigated the incident but I just wondered are bouncers 'allowed' to tackle ppl outside their place of work or only in it's confines.

Beauty. The only good skanger is a dead skanger.

• Advertisement

• Have you ever been approached by someone you've thrown out that recognized you on the street in the following days? As in during the day, outside of work?

Have you ever found any weapons on a person during a search?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Thanks for doing this.

When out as part of a group or a stag, we usually split up into smaller groups of 3 or 4. Do you turn away large groups of guys like this? I never see hen parties having trouble getting in.

You say about sometimes asking people for a second form of ID, but what would you be looking for? I mean I only carry around my driver's licence in my wallet, so wouldn't have a second ID on me. Though at 38 I hope I wouldn't need one. :)
    And what type of ID do you accept? As you say, you get a lot of students so good chance they'll have student ID and not all would have a licence. Not many people would be comfortable carrying a passport with them either. I guess a bank card could work since it would have their real name on it.

Do you watch out for vulnerable patrons? Like a girl or guy who is clearly in no shape to consent being taken advantage of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

With DSP & Static/Retail Licences myself this is fascinating sir.

You say RAG Week is roughest night of the week but any particular night? Final one perhaps since after that it's all over and heads down for the exams in May'll fly in then.......ours is in February and one thing it's great for is generating security both day and night for duration; like security on doors from 10:30am in both main student pubs is unheard of rest of year round incl. Paddys Day.

For me St. Stephens Day Night was like all these people'd been starved of alcohol for weeks and kept in a flipping cage; NYE wasn't as bad by comparison.

Ever do Restaurant/Takeaway Security; I did and would get the dregs refused at beginning of night who'd have to hang round til 2:30 or 3 in morning til their mates came out of club.....also we'd have our peak "feeding time at the zoo" at chucking out time.

Trying to explain to people stilletoes when not on feet are a weapon, that no sir you can't bring in that bottle or glass made us out to be bad guys and that pumps or flats etc. could be worn but no bare feet due to risk of slippages or perhaps even broken glass if someone did sneak in a cheeky naggin.

Occasionally I'd take bottle and put it behind counter; by time they'd ordered/paid/got served/eaten they'd forgotten about it.

Maddest thing I came across was in an establishment where jacks were upstairs and had to check cubicles before they were to be cleaned......a particularly amorous couple had to zip up theirs sooner than they thought but sod it staff'd to go home too to be fair and once doors close that's who's most important.

Much preferred Restaurant/Takeaway to DSP; could at least hear yourself think and communicate and got free grub going home!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I think the bouncer has been told not tonight and isn't coming back.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I think our bouncer has run off..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Time now ladies and gentlemen please, you don’t have to go home but you have to get the fcuk outta here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I think the bouncer has been told not tonight and isn't coming back.....

He was in the wrong shoes and it was regulars only anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Stephen15 wrote: »
    He was in the wrong shoes and it was regulars only anyway

Maybe someone recognised him and took him out......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

yeah shame this has died, could have been a great one.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Since our AMA-er hasn't been online for over a week, I'll close this one up. Thanks for all of the questions and to our guest for his answers too!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement