Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Marathon - 2018

1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Username | Race No. | PB | Predicted Time | Actual Time | Behind/Ahead Target
    davedanon| 28470 | 3:14:18 | 3:09:59 | 3:40:51 | |
    spc78| 15531 | 2:52:xx | 2:43:xx | 3:13:24 | |
    NeedsTraining | 15548 | 3:06:12 | 2:59:59 | 2:59:52 | |
    Polster | 13914 | 2:43:50 | 2:47:30 | 2:45:03 | |
    TFBubendorfer | 52224 | 2:55:07 | 3:30:00 | 3:49:59| |
    Jmcmen | 28324 | 2:49:09 | 2:44:XX | 2:47:51 | |
    MacSwifty | 39834 | 3:20:19 | 3:29:59 |3:29:21 | |
    cityrep | 28429 | 3:28:34 | 3:19:59 | 3:27:32 | |
    HibernianRunner | 61049 | 3:28:22 | 3:27:00 | 3:27:31 | |
    mdlb | 30317 | 3:26:56 | 3:44:59 | 3:51:43 | |
    seanin4711 | 61172 | 4:08:00 | 3:59:00 | 4:21:57 | |
    Ardennes | 18040 | 3.23:00 | 3:10:00 | 3:10:37 | |
    Glencarraig | 24541 | 3:24:20 | 3:29:59 | 3:31:48 | |
    purelike | 30869 | 2:58:54 | 2:56:xx | 3:17:49 | |
    fletch| 18174 | 3:07:31 | 2:59:59 | 2:56:24 | |

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cityrep

Anyone going on to do Dublin in a few weeks? If they are, could they provide me with any tips on training between then and now? I might just go plod around with a friend who's doing his first but I feel quite fresh and might try a few more seconds of that PR...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

So this is the training plan I used, I got to me to target and it’s a 3 run a week approach. I found it good but it’s harder than it reads.
    https://www.google.com.cy/amp/s/bridgerridgerun.wordpress.com/2015/03/30/how-to-run-a-3-hour-marathon-a-just-enough-training-approach/amp/

I had a look at Koln marathon as well as Amsterdam but I think I will do the Lucern half or full marathon end of October now as it’s only an hour away

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

So this is the training plan I used, I got to me to target and it’s a 3 run a week approach. I found it good but it’s harder than it reads.
    https://www.google.com.cy/amp/s/bridgerridgerun.wordpress.com/2015/03/30/how-to-run-a-3-hour-marathon-a-just-enough-training-approach/amp/

I had a look at Koln marathon as well as Amsterdam but I think I will do the Lucern half or full marathon end of October now as it’s only an hour away

I looked at this before. Workouts seemed a killer.

Thanks for this! I don't know if a 3 hour run is within my grasp but I'll defo have a look at the schedule.

I haven't done anything this week yet. Will maybe do a 30 minute easy and an hour easy on the weekend and then reverse my taper process for the second week. Then look at this plan for weeks 3,4 & 5 before Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

cityrep wrote:
    Anyone going on to do Dublin in a few weeks? If they are, could they provide me with any tips on training between then and now? I might just go plod around with a friend who's doing his first but I feel quite fresh and might try a few more seconds of that PR...

This is a good read.

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/marathon-training/multiple-marathons/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

This is essentially the plan I used, with very minor modifications (ie. Increased pace) which got me 2.56.50. Definitely an effective plan!

Dub13 wrote: »

Thanks. I have been a fan of HH during other build ups. Some things he says there are definitely useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Just curious -did anyone run with a pacing group this year, and what were they like for sticking to their target pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Just curious -did anyone run with a pacing group this year, and what were they like for sticking to their target pace?

The 3:30 group of wave 1 was steadily moving away from me for the first few miles, despite me starting out at just-about 3:30 pace. They must have been 5-10 seconds per mile too fast (which would be 2-4 minutes over the entire marathon)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

The 3:30 group of wave 1 was steadily moving away from me for the first few miles, despite me starting out at just-about 3:30 pace. They must have been 5-10 seconds per mile too fast (which would be 2-4 minutes over the entire marathon)

Agree with this, myself and training buddy were running 7.5-7.55 just to bank a small bit of time each mile but were passed and distanced by 3 of the 3.30 pacers who were running side by side at around 7 miles. These guys would have finished at least 5 mins ahead of schedule. I was joined by what must have been the sweeper 3.30 pacer at mile 22 and we crossed the line in 3.30.01 as per my garmin, but I had forgotten that the garmin paused while I spent 2 minutes in the portaloo !!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Polster

One thing to bare in mind is that their are multiple pacers for each time starting at different points.  I am always a bit disappointed that there is no pacers after 3hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭seanin4711

cityrep wrote: »

hal higdons mutiple marathon plan for me
    6 weeks gap between both
    Mon - Sun
    weeks 1-2 weeks recovery - REST 3/6/3/6 REST LSR 1-2hrs/12m
    weeks 3-4 training - REST 4/6/4/6 REST LSR 14/16m
    week 5 Taper - REST 4/6/4/6 REST LSR 10m
    week 6 Taper - REST 2/3 REST/REST/2 /Marathon

3/4 miles are easy recovery runs 6 are interval workouts. LSR, well you know!

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/marathon-training/multiple-marathons/

week 3 starts today!

So, I know this is probably the wrong forum but I got my Berlin target in Dublin yesterday (3.18.26) and used the Just Enough Training Approach above to get me thru the interim weeks. Absolutely delighted!! Thanks for the heads up on that plan.

cityrep wrote: »
    So, I know this is probably the wrong forum but I got my Berlin target in Dublin yesterday (3.18.26) and used the Just Enough Training Approach above to get me thru the interim weeks. Absolutely delighted!! Thanks for the heads up on that plan.

Congratulations! Well done on maintaining the fitness over the few weeks

Did everyone get a book with their splits in it in the post? Couple of people I know did. Nothing for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Did everyone get a book with their splits in it in the post? Couple of people I know did. Nothing for me!

Got mine on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

coalshed wrote: »
    Got mine on Monday.

What is the book?

What tune up races are people considering before Berlin? Dublin was my marathon last year so will need to change up the races this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Yep, received on Monday also.

There may still be a backlog of post following Christmas, so maybe give it a few days.

tbukela wrote: »
    What is the book?

It's a magazine about the 2018 race and the world records etc.
    What tune up races are people considering before Berlin? Dublin was my marathon last year so will need to change up the races this year.

haven't thought that far out yet. Will be interested to see suitable races...Killarney half in late July, Rock n Roll Dublin early August maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

coalshed wrote: »
    haven't thought that far out yet. Will be interested to see suitable races...Killarney half in late July, Rock n Roll Dublin early August maybe.

Good call re Killarney, I hadn't thought of that one. Also considering Clonmel on the 25/08 or Tullamore on the 31/08. However I wonder if they are too close to Berlin.

I'm looking for a 15M or 25K race as well, I found the Cork to Cobh 15 miler last year to be a great warm up for Dublin.

Edit: Didn't realise that this was the 2018 thread

Good call re Killarney, I hadn't thought of that one. Also considering Clonmel on the 25/08 or Tullamore on the 31/08. However I wonder if they are too close to Berlin.

I'm looking for a 15M or 25K race as well, I found the Cork to Cobh 15 miler last year to be a great warm up for Dublin.

Edit: Didn't realise that this was the 2018 thread

between Rotterdam and Berlin marathons and flights I need to give the credit card a break before booking any more races :)

Advertisement