Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Famous vegetarians

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

brad pitt,albert einstein,ghandi will remember some more in a mo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Aren't you forgetting the most famous one Linda McCartney.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i think ghandi is more famous ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Lol ok I suppose so Lol , he didn't have his own brand though lol.

• Advertisement

that poor poor man im sure it played on his mind a lot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

Er, don't forget Adolf Hitler. :@(

its more helpful if we name them out one by one ;P

• its more helpful if we name them out one by one ;P

But that involves work! We veggies must store the little energy that we have!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

Er, don't forget Adolf Hitler. :@(

A myth.
    Hitler was known for enjoying his sausages. He only went off them for a short while due to health problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Washout

was George Bernard Shaw a vegitarian..think i heard that somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

embraer170 wrote:
    A myth.
    Hitler was known for enjoying his sausages. He only went off them for a short while due to health problems.

no, he was a veggie. the only people who dispute are a few whackos afraid that his eating habits will somehow tarnish the image of all lovers of the leaves

no, he was a veggie. the only people who dispute are a few whackos afraid that his eating habits will somehow tarnish the image of all lovers of the leaves

What makes you so confident that is the case? I'm aware there are strong arguments both ways but I conclude that he wasn't, especially given the nazis banned vegetarianism.

Hitler did a lot of things the nazis forbade but i don't know if he was a vegetarian or not for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Hmm, I thought that Hitler's favourite meat was pigeon?

Anyway, more famous veggies: Morrissey, Damon Albarn, Victoria Wood & Kate Bush.

My favourite meat is sirloin steak.....yet i'm a vegetarian...wonder could he manage it with pidgeon to topple :)

embraer170 wrote:
    especially given the nazis banned vegetarianism.

WTF. this is a new one on me. I have never heard this one before. show me the law that banned vegetarianism :confused:
    is this just veggie persecution complex?

I don't think any 'vegetarian persecution complex' has anything to do with this, just trying to set the record straight.

Even the New York times refuted the myth that Hitler was a vegetarian.

embraer170 wrote:
    I don't think any 'vegetarian persecution complex' has anything to do with this, just trying to set the record straight.

Even the New York times refuted the myth that Hitler was a vegetarian.

... but not that vegetarianism was banned... was there some sort of veggie ghetto you went to for special treatment if they saw you turning your nose up at a wiener schnitzel :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

Ok maybe Adolf was, or was not a veggie, but he did love his german shepard dog. And just so I can get it off my chest, why do so many non-veggies think we're all a bunch a pale face skinny gimps, when I weigh in at 210lbs and I'm built like a brick out house! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

While it is true that Hitler's doctors put him on a vegetarian diet to cure him of flatulence and a chronic stomach disorder, his biographers such as Albert Speer, Robert Payne, John Toland, et al, have attested to his liking for ham sausages and other cured meats. Even Spencer says that Hitler was a vegetarian from only 1931 on: "It would be true to say that up to 1931, he preferred a vegetarian diet, but on some occasions would deviate from it." He committed suicide in the bunker when he was 56 in 1945; that would have given him 14 years as a vegetarian, but we have the testimony to the contrary of the woman chef who was his personal cook in Hamburg during the late 1930s - Dione Lucas. In her "Gourmet Cooking School Cookbook," she records that his favorite dish - the one that he customarily requested - was stuffed squab (pigeon). "I do not mean to spoil your appetite for stuffed squab, but you might be interested to know that it was a great favorite with Mr. Hitler, who dined in the hotel often."
    From the November 1996 issue of "The Animals' Agenda", attributed to Roberta Kalechofsky

In their efforts to discredit animal rights activists, supporters of animal research periodically proclaim to the media that Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian and that the Nazis did not engage in animal research.

The implication is that these 'revelations' suggest a sinister similarity between Nazis and animal rights 'zealots' and serve as a warning that animal advocates have an anti-human agenda.

But the real story about Hitler and the Nazis is miles from the myth. One legitimate response to such claims is that it doesn't matter whether Hitler was a vegetarian; as Peter Singer said, "The fact that Hitler had a nose doesn't mean we're going to cut our noses off."

Biographical material about Hitler suggests a contradictoriness in reports about his diet. He is often described as a vegetarian who nevertheless had a special fondness for sausages and caviar, and sometimes ham. One of his biographers, Robert Payne ("The Life and Death of Adolf Hitler) took exception to the view of Hitler as an ascetic, and said it was deliberately fostered by the Nazis to project an image of Hitler as pure and dedicated.

Wrote Payne: "Hitler's asceticism played an important part in the image he projected over Germany. According to the widely believed legend, he neither smoked nor drank, nor did he have anything to do with women.

"Only the first was true. He drank beer and diluted wine frequently, had a special fondness for Bavarian sausages, and kept a mistress... "His asceticism was a fiction invented by (Nazi propagandist Joseph) Goebbels to emphasize his total dedication, his self-control, the distance that separated him from other men..." Biographer John Toland ("Adolf Hitler"), describes Hitler's early student diet as consisting of "milk, sausage, and bread."
    Moreover, Hitler never promoted vegetarianism as a public policy for either health or moral reasons. His lack of policies and public support for vegetarianism is significant in a leader who rigorously enforced other health policies, such as anti-smoking and anti-pollution legislation, and pregnancy and birthing measures for women.

The rumor that the Nazis passed an anti-vivisection law is also filled with contradictions. No such law was passed, although the Nazis reported that such a law existed. The Nazis allegedly passed an anti-vivisection bill in 1933.

"Lancet," the prestigious British medical journal, reviewed the Nazis' law in 1934 and warned anti-vivisectionists not to celebrate because the Nazis' law was no different, in effect, from the British law that had been passed in 1876, which restricted some animal research, but hardly eliminated it. An enormous amount of research on animals continued to be carried out by Nazi doctors.

The evidence of Nazi experiments on animals is overwhelming. In "The Dark Face of Science," author John Vyvyan summed it up correctly:

"The experiments made on prisoners were many and diverse, but they had one thing in common: all were in continuation of or complementary to, experiments on animals. "In every instance, this antecedent scientific literature is mentioned in the evidence, and at Buchenvald and Auschwitz concentration camps, human and animal experiments were carried out simultaneously as parts of a single programme."
    It is important that the facts be known so that the myths about Hitler and the Nazis cannot be used against the animal rights and vegetarian movements.

Animal rights advocates should not let these false claims appear in the media unchallenged. The record must be set straight.

Roberta Kalechofsky is a writer, publisher, and the president of Jews for Animal Rights

So you probably could say Hitler was a part-time vegetarian at least but for health reasons and nothing else.

I am a vegetarian and famous in some quaters, do I qualify for the list.

Advertisement