31-03-2021, 10:13   #271
bobbyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Tator
I've read it - ages ago. I recall enjoying it and subsequently being disappointed to learn that some scholars took issue with several of her claims (I think about the meeting with QE1 ??). I've not followed up on that. I've no recollection of the Irish names being an issue and I'm by no means fluent. Chambers' book on the Countess of Desmond is also a good read.

Great stuff. It's good to get feedback. Will give her another go on that one. Currently reading life of George 111 by Janice Hadlow.
Advertisement
31-03-2021, 11:29   #272
Mick Tator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyss View Post
Great stuff. It's good to get feedback. Will give her another go on that one. Currently reading life of George 111 by Janice Hadlow.

A very good read, highly recommended, is 'Dublin under the Georges' by Constantia Maxwell. It flows very well and is interlaced with interesting 'obscure' details. She was the first female lecturer in TCD.
Thanks from:
05-05-2021, 12:06   #273
Rmulvany

I'm looking to do some reading into Dál Riata / Dalriada.
If anyone can recommend any decent books I can add to my list that would be great
05-05-2021, 17:52   #274
dubhthach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmulvany View Post
I'm looking to do some reading into Dál Riata / Dalriada.
If anyone can recommend any decent books I can add to my list that would be great
Alot of the issues with regards reading about Dál Riata/Riada is that their Irish territories basically got swamped by expansion of the Dál nAraidi -- as a result by the 7th century onwards it's mostly restricted to Western Scotland.

As a result most books are gonna be context of Scottish history. "Early Christian Ireland" by TM Charles-Edwards (University of Cambridge press) has a section on the wider North-East that can be read on Google Books:

https://books.google.ie/books?id=g6y...page&q&f=false

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Early-Chris...s=books&sr=1-1
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion