Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minnesota officer shoots dead another innocent black victim

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

AMKC wrote: »
    Same thing as would happen here or in the UK they call in the detective unit or the SAU aka special arms unit or a QRA aka quick response unit.

Will they call in the armed police before or after they’ve been shot dead?
    You do know that the chances of encountering an armed citizen in a traffic stop in the US must be 1000s of times more then here?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Anyone else notice on the police cam video the black man that was shot is driving a white car similar in style to an Opel Insignia hatch here a Buick I think they are over there but when they show the car crashed it is blue and an estate. So unless his car transformed or he changed cars during his getting away something is wrong there.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ckendrick wrote: »
    Will they call in the armed police before or after they’ve been shot dead?
    You do know that the chances of encountering an armed citizen in a traffic stop in the US must be 1000s of times more then here?

Before of course.

Nope did not know that never been there prob never will not like I would want to anyway. They are crazy over there.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Why resist arrest when he was about to be cuffed. He would still be alive if he hadn’t fought his way free. Bad decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Do cops have the authority to shoot people who run and are non violent?

Is shooting a fleeing person an acceptable form of stopping them?

Also there was another person in the car with him, does that persons safety not come into play when firing at this guy? I saw the video and I'm assuming the girlfriend was in the passenger seat and the cop just shoots at him...it could of easily missed and got her instead.

Madness.

Also if it was a genuine mix up between tazer and gun the cop is a complete and utter incompetent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Bold Abdu

Also if it was a genuine mix up between tazer and gun the cop is a complete and utter incompetent.

I don't understand how anyone could think it was anything other than a genuine mix up. I mean she hardly thought it was a good idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

so why did he not comply and try to fight again ?

every one who asks this gets shouted at as a racist bootlicker but I was just wondering .
    I mean he caused the cops to react not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I think the government/police force should just come out and say deadly force is allowed if you struggle or run...even in non violent cases.

Just be black and white about it and leave no grey area, anything other than laying face down and being as still and quite as a statue regardless of the situation could result in you getting shot and a cop is well within his/her rights to do it with no come back.

I mean this is basically the situation anyway just be upfront about it publicly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

AMKC wrote: »
    She could have just shot him in the leg or arm instead of killing him. But ye another sad story in America in loving the cops. They never learn. The only way to solve this is to only have highly trained detectives have guns and take the guns off the rest of them. Let them have tasers and pepper spray and it will be less likely to happen again.

this again ? really ?
    no police or military or firearms training in the world trains to shoot anything apart from centre mass.

even in Ireland they are in the process of disarming detectives and only allowing ASU to carry firearms. one or two units per county. Detectives investigate crime and rarely require a firearm
    in America your idea would result in many many police and civilian deaths from violent criminals who know they are unlikely to encounter armed response to stop them .

its also very clear you know next to nothing about tazers or pepper spray :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Do cops have the authority to shoot people who run and are non violent?

Is shooting a fleeing person an acceptable form of stopping them?

Also there was another person in the car with him, does that persons safety not come into play when firing at this guy? I saw the video and I'm assuming the girlfriend was in the passenger seat and the cop just shoots at him...it could of easily missed and got her instead.

Madness.

That's basically the acceptable narrative with the MPD fanboys on this thread. Binging too many LAPD type tv shows than is healthy for them.

• Advertisement

Bold Abdu wrote: »
    I don't understand how anyone could think it was anything other than a genuine mix up. I mean she hardly thought it was a good idea.

Yeah, maybe she's colourblind. Doh is a taser yellow or black? doh.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Yeah, maybe she's colourblind. Doh is a tazer yellow or black? doh.

Alot of the times in the states there actually black ,

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Bold Abdu

Yeah, maybe she's colourblind. Doh is a tazer yellow or black? doh.

Out of interest, was her taser yellow or black?

I remember the old thread here on George Floyd's killing. Same old MPD fanboys and fanboy thankers.

As always im just bemused at how invested so many get in everyday occurrences in a country thousands of miles away that bears no resemblance to the one this site pertains to.

Do ye ever give yer heads a shake at all to remind yrselves this stuff might be big on twitter but its as well to be reality tv or fiction for all any of it matters here in ireland?

Im just constantly taken aback how so many seem to want to fight these proxy battles for yank society's ills

As always im just bemused at how invested so many get in everyday occurrences in a country thousands of miles away that bears no resemblance to the one this site pertains to.

Do ye ever give yer heads a shake at all to remind yrselves this stuff might be big on twitter but its as well to be reality tv or fiction for all any of it matters here in ireland?

Im just constantly taken aback how so many seem to want to fight these proxy battles for yank society's ills

It was the second story on both Channel 4 and the BBC last night. Why do these networks carry the story at all? Nosy sods.

I dont think that "the news stations from a third country carried it" answers my point the way you seem to think it does, tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Monkey arris

Nozebleed wrote: »
    wouldnt have happened if he just stood there explaining himself. would it?

I dunno, one time they shot a man sitting in his car at a stop and then there was that lady asleep in bed. And that man Floyd was killed while he was explaining himself.

The cop mistook her gun for a tazer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This one is clearly an accident/mistake on the part of the officer. She'll have to live with it for the rest of her life.
    It's nothing like the George Floyd case where I hope the jury convict.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

On Boards at least anyway, it always seems there's more people eager to get involved and say that the cops are right, 'it's easy, just comply and you'll be fine' etc than there are saying the policing system is inadequate.

And at least in recent discussions, the dominant voices saying policing needs to change were from people living in the states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

eagle eye wrote: »
    This one is clearly an accident/mistake on the part of the officer. She'll have to live with it for the rest of her life.
    It's nothing like the George Floyd case where I hope the jury convict.

Totally agree, big mistake but almost justified, can see her getting off.

The George case is cold blooded murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,723 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

You seem to be doing the exact same thing? Like, if it’s an occurrence in a place you feel so removed from, why are you posting about it yourself? If you’ve no interest in the conversation why not just leave others to it?

Ireland also has a lot of connections to the US... plenty of us live, or have lived there, and plenty more have family and friends there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

'Brace yourself, it's coming' meme

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Totally agree, big mistake but almost justified, can see her getting off.

The George case is cold blooded murder.

He isnt even been tried for murder. He was charged with a form of manslaughter. There is a lot of evidence that the officer didn't even touch the neck for most the incident.Very high chance it was a drug death. So very possible that he will be acquitted.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    You seem to be doing the exact same thing? Like, if it’s an occurrence in a place you feel so removed from, why are you posting about it yourself? If you’ve no interest in the conversation why not just leave others to it?

Ireland also has a lot of connections to the US... plenty of us live, or have lived there, and plenty more have family and friends there.

Well not to totally derail the thread, but im discussing a behavioural trend ive noted from posters, mostly presumably irish, on an irish discussion board of which im a contributor and user.

Theres no remove at all, and the trend has noticeable direct implications in how many conversations of actual irish affairs seem to go these days

Id content thats actually the exact opposite of what i pointed out in my first post tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Well not to totally derail the thread, but im discussing a behavioural trend ive noted from posters, mostly presumably irish, on an irish discussion board of which im a contributor and user.

Theres no remove at all, and the trend has noticeable direct implications in how many conversations of actual irish affairs seem to go these days

Id content thats actually the exact opposite of what i pointed out in my first post tbh

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,723 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

You seem to just be complaining about other people having an interest - for their own reasons - in something you don’t have an interest in. Maybe just make a thread about that, or only read/comment on threads you are interested in?

As far as I’m aware there’s no rule here that the issues discussed must be Irish. If people are interested in a subject, they’ll talk about. If they’re not, they won’t.

On topic - whether this was or wasn’t an accident, it’s yet another pretty damning indictment of US policing. If it wasn’t an accidental shooting then obviously it speaks to something especially horrible. But even if it was accidental, it’s another huge pointer towards inadequate training for officers supplied with lethal weapons. An accident like this should be impossible for a properly trained officer. But alas as we so often see, officer training in deescalation and correct use of force is simply not anywhere near good enough.

(Seriously though, how does one draw a gun, release the safety, and fire, all while thinking they’re holding a taser?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

How so?

The whole conversation around George nkencho's death, for one

The whole conversation around George nkencho's death, for one

The people who got beaten up by mostly peaceful protectors in Blanch would say there are real consequences. As well as the ones who were under siege in the petrol station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

He isnt even been tried for murder. He was charged with a form of manslaughter. There is a lot of evidence that the officer didn't even touch the neck for most the incident.Very high chance it was a drug death. So very possible that he will be acquitted.

third-degree murder sounds like a murder charge to me

Advertisement