Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uk Resident - Irish Employment

• 11-04-2021 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Born, work and pay tax in UK.

Worked for a brief time in Dublin where I paid tax through PAYE 6 years ago. I have a pps number.

Moving to an Irish employer where I will work remotely in UK. Remuneration in form of a salary through PAYE.

Am I eligible for tax credits? Does the fact I will still be living in UK affect my tax position in ROI? I will have to submit tax returns in UK but I will qualify for double taxation relief. Does Brexit impact me at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Frankie559 wrote: »

Worked for a brief time in Dublin where I paid tax through PAYE 6 years ago. I have a pps number.

Moving to an Irish employer where I will work remotely in UK. Remuneration in form of a salary through PAYE.

Am I eligible for tax credits? Does the fact I will still be living in UK affect my tax position in ROI? I will have to submit tax returns in UK but I will qualify for double taxation relief. Does Brexit impact me at all?

Yes brexit does impact on this, have a look at part 45 of the tca 1997.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Frankie559

davindub wrote: »
    Yes brexit does impact on this, have a look at part 45 of the tca 1997.
    Thanks for that - a good source of info!

States that a 'UK resident' is entitled to tax credits if Irish Income exceeds 75% of total income. My Irish income represents 100% of my total income.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Are you sure the Irish employer will be operating Irish PAYE as none of the work is carried out in Ireland? Sounds like the company should be operating UK PAYE but its quite a technical area so not as simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Thanks for that - a good source of info!

States that a 'UK resident' is entitled to tax credits if Irish Income exceeds 75% of total income. My Irish income represents 100% of my total income.

Yes, currently that is available but obviously if the UK have left the EU, I would expect changes to that term. Hopefully not.

Just on remote working, like the other poster, I would have reservations about whether Irish Income tax actually applies to you. Something may develop there in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If none of the duties of the employment are to be carried out in Ireland then your Irish employer may be able to obtain clearance to pay without Irish PAYE on the basis that it can, if structured properly, not be an Irish employment. However, it will be a U.K. employment and the Irish employer will hve to establish a U.K. payroll and operate U.K. PAYE/NICs.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/what-constitutes-pay/paye-exclusion-order-issued-by-revenue/what-will-the-paye-exclusion-order-say.aspx

• Advertisement
Advertisement