Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

AuntySnow wrote: »
    We now have our first sea breezevof the Summer (:D) in Arklow
    18kmh East
    Currently 16.3c

Weather just now Mt dillion was mentioned as the hot spot today with 15.3c recorded if I remember correctly. Maybe you were the real hot spot. Did you get any higher than that?

I don't get how people can live in the West of Ireland and not expect it to be cloudy and rainy pretty much all of the time, I thought that was just the deal over there?

Not too different on the coasts.

https://www.met.ie/climate/what-we-measure/sunshine

The major difference across the country is rain not sun.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Sea fog around the Kerry coasts this morning slow to lift, drizzle in Tralee early afternoon but lifted inland soon after leaving in good sunshine and feeling very mild. Fog was draped along the foot of the mountains and out to sea late afternoon and had lifted to form low straggly cloud overland , formed overland again early evening.

High of 13.3C and currently 8.1C

Flat calm

Barometer nice and high and still rising at 1035.3hPa

NASA EOSDIS from earlier today showing up well the sea fog off the N Kerry coast and over Loop head

rWyNtvB.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Interesting map, not surprisingly shows that Letterkenny is probably the least sunny major town in the country :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

That map is, at best, a 'best guess', and at worst, just made up. Met Eireann don't record sunshine for most of the north and west. Knock, Belmullet & Malin Hd are the only stations that do as far as I know. So how do they know how much sunshine we get... or don't get, here in Galway, or the bulk of Connacht & west Ulster?

If I remember correctly, when Claremorris & Clones did record sunshine totals, they came in with the lowest overall annual totals not only nationally, but globally.

New Moon

• Advertisement

sJS38UQ.png

New Moon

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Weather just now Mt dillion was mentioned as the hot spot today with 15.3c recorded if I remember correctly. Maybe you were the real hot spot. Did you get any higher than that?

The Arklow met station reached a similar value, but given that it only reports every 30 mins, this may not be the actual highest max it recorded today.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    sJS38UQ.png

Well that makes more sense to me too, but I am but the messenger.

I don't get how people can live in the West of Ireland and not expect it to be cloudy and rainy pretty much all of the time, I thought that was just the deal over there?

'Over there...'

Of course, given that we live on the Atlantic side of this great & expansive continent of Ireland, we are never going to compete with the Floridian style sunshine you get over there in the far east pretty much all of the time.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    The Arklow met station reached a similar value, but given that it only reports every 30 mins, this may not be the actual highest max it recorded today.

Mine was 16.3c approximately 6kms SW of the Arklow met Station

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

For tiny NI you're roughly averaging 1 hour less sunshine per day over the course of the year from best to worst. Coastal areas fair much better as that map you provided shows. Big difference in rainfall for NI as well.

On the whole, Northern Ireland is cloudier than England, because of the hilly nature of the terrain and the
    proximity to the Atlantic. Even so, the coastal strip of County Down manages an annual average total of over
    1450 hours of sunshine. This compares favourably with some coastal areas of England and Wales, though not
    with the figures of around 1750 hours achieved by many places along the south coast of England. The dullest
    parts of Northern Ireland are the upland areas of the north and west, with annual average totals of less than
    1100 hours.

The wettest places are in the upland area around Killeter Forest in the extreme west
    of County Tyrone, where the annual average reaches about 2000 mm. The driest places are further east -
    around Strangford Lough and close to the east coast, and near to the southern and eastern shores of Lough
    Neagh - where the annual totals are just under 800 mm

Source Met office climate Ni

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I'd think it'd be possible to get reasonably accurate sunshine hours from raw data from satellite imagery for the past 20 years, I'm assuming the data isn't publicly available but sounds like a good college project for a data science student

From a quick google search I found this random and unverified map, from this it looks like Letterkenny is right up there with the dullest settlements on earth :)

SolarGIS-Solar-map-World-map-en.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

appledrop wrote: »
    Yea I actually saw a tortoiseshell butterfly. It must have come out of hibernation with the nice weather.

Just back from my second walk today and tomorrow to look forward to as well!

No butterflys here yet, plenty of Buzzards scowling overhead and i seen the Bluetits in and out of their anual nesting hole in the wall.
    Looking forward to a nice day here but i doubt it will be as sunny as today, as long as it's dry though.

Beautifull morning here near Arklow,looking over at a Snowy Lugnaquilla

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1372115653193261057?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

National weather records for St. Patrick's Day across Ireland.

EluGW1s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Yesterday was a glorious March day beautiful sunshine and warm in the sunshine. Today obviously not so good. Back to cloudy but in typical Irish low expectations at least it’s dry!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah cloudy and 9.2c in Sligo.

Imagine if there was 80 knot + winds today. It would be a media / science fear mongering frenzy about climate change and global warming.

But the maps show that the Atlantic was in a very cold state on this day, how could this be? I thought cold air = good and warm air = bad?

ERA_1_1968031712_2.png

In all seriousness though, there would have been some colossal snow/hail/thunder showers in that already near storm force flow. Would have been a day to remember if we were around at the time.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭pad199207

Glorious in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭appledrop

It's another stunning day here in NCD.

Great to see everyone out and about enjoying the sunshine.

Makes a change from standing in freezing cold watching the parade.

No doubt we will get a freezing cold day next year when parades hopefully return!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Stunning day here in South Wicklow. Garden furniture is out, lawn cut and bbq ready to go for later. Might be a short lived spell but making the most of it. Probably be all packed away again by Monday!

Stunning day here in South Wicklow. Garden furniture is out, lawn cut and bbq ready to go for later. Might be a short lived spell but making the most of it. Probably be all packed away again by Monday!

Not necessarily
    Agree its an absolutely Gorgrous sunny day down here again
    Complete with a sea breeze!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sunny, the wind does have a slight edge to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Disappointing day in South Mayo
    It’s dull and feeling cooler

• Registered Users Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭pad199207

This day is turning out even better than I thought. Beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Clear blue azure skies, gorgeous, we all need it :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Beautiful day in Dublin 16. Despite being only 13.4c atm I had to come in from the garden for a bit as it's warm in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

Beautiful day again after a foggy frosty start, a lot sunnier than i expected it ti be.
    I finally get to use the sunhat i ordered of Aliexpress last May but only arrived before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭pauldry

Foggy misty day in Sligo. Got to 9.4c but back to 8.9c

Still last year it rained all day and 3 years ago it was 3.5c so this prob goes down s a good day. However last week the forecast was 14 to 17c and sun everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭zisdead

I remember the Summerhill Tornado like it was yesterday. I was in the small village of Rathmolyon in a bar with my then girlfriend and all of a sudden the sky went what I can only describe as green as hailstones about the size of squash balls began to crack the windows. We ran outside to see a rain wrapped funnel about a mile away. We waited 5 minutes for the most intense hail I have ever saw (anywhere) to subside and then set out to get closer to where we suspected the tornado might have crossed the Rathmolyon to Enfield road. About 5 minutes up the road we came across 2 dead cows which had been thrown clean out of a field!!

If anyone was watching the club final in croker that day they would have saw the dying hailstorm cross over with hail at pitch level.

Advertisement