Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

• 29-05-2020 3:48pm
    Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Mod:

Continuation of the How long before Irish reunification? thread.

Please note that all mod warnings, actions and threadbans from the previous thread carry across to here.

I have updated the OP of this thread with a list of threadbanned users, I would advise posters to check on this before posting in the thread again or a forum sanction will be imposed for breaching same.

If you want to discuss your threadban feel free to PM the banning mod (or myself if you can't remember who that is and I'll point you in the right direction).

Threadbanned Users:
    blanch152
    Randy Archer
    Natterjack from Kerry
    littlevillage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,372 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Interesting thread.

Never figured you for a hardcore republican :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66,308 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RobMc59 wrote:
    Textbook 'look over there 'tactics from you francie-who mentioned brexit?
    I understand as a disgruntled republican supporter you will try to agitate interest in a UI but the fact is although there has been some speculation about the possibility of that it remains far in the distance.Do you think the EU will be willing to cough up in the near future?I certainly don't.

Nobody mentioned Hunger Strikes until it was mentioned either. 'Disgruntled' wouldn't be anywhere near my state of mind.

Of course the EU will be behind a UI, it is now in all the EU's interests as the British state continues into chaos and the wider UK disintegrates.

eagle eye wrote:
    Claiming that the prisoners did it for anything other than prison conditions.

That was merely the vehicle. They knew the attention it would get. Nelson Mandela and Palestinians followed suit, so effective was it. And the worldwide press condemning the British was priceless for the cause.

It was a seminal event in the conflict/war, and altered the course. Thatcher was beaten even though she would of course never admit it.

eagle eye wrote:
    No, I don't want to partition anything. In order to be a partitionist there must be intent to partition something.

You want to maintain partition for 30 years...trust me, you are partitionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭jm08

RobMc59

In response to two of your comments in the old thread about the hunger strikes and how Charlie Haughey was unreliable (or something like that).

Garrett FitzGerald (Fine Gael) was Taoiseach at the time, not Haughey.

Garrett wrote to Ronald Reagan at the time to talk Maggie down (which he did). Irish America were up in arms over the whole thing.
    Article from the Boston Globe:
    "Thatcher’s ­intransigence drove many young men into the waiting arms of the IRA. She was one of the IRA’s best recruiters. She pushed the end of the war back at least 10 years and consigned a generation to conflict."

Thatcher's friend President Ronald Reagan ultimately convinced her she had to work with the Irish.

The agreement she signed with Irish leaders in 1985 did lead to the Good Friday Agreement of 1998, and a new era of Anglo-Irish relations.

• Advertisement

jm08 wrote: »
    RobMc59

In response to two of your comments in the old thread about the hunger strikes and how Charlie Haughey was unreliable (or something like that).

Garrett wrote to Ronald Reagan at the time to talk Maggie down (which he did). Irish America were up in arms over the whole thing.

The other impetus to the Anglo Irish Agreement (which later stuck in Thatchers craw) was that she thought(correctly) that SF would eclipse the SDLP as a result of the huge surge of support for them after the Hunger Strikes.

The Anglo Irish Agreement is still seen as the ultimate betrayal by belligerent Unionists. They have been fighting a rearguard action ever since...rather badly.
    Moderate Unionism is in my opinion is over it and can see the benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

jm08 wrote: »
    RobMc59

My comments about haughy referred to his duplicity,secret deals with terrorists etc.I realise he wasn't the Taoiseach at the time of the hunger strikes but British attempts of a treaty where hampered by him during that early 80s period.Its interesting to note that despite disgruntled republicans claims in regards to the effectiveness of the strikes it was years later an agreement was made but that's airbrushed out by many who would like to rewrite history. :)

RobMc59 wrote: »
    My comments about haughy referred to his duplicity,secret deals with terrorists etc.I realise he wasn't the Taoiseach at the time of the hunger strikes but British attempts of a treaty where hampered by him during that early 80s period.Its interesting to note that despite disgruntled republicans claims in regards to the effectiveness of the strikes it was years later an agreement was made but that's airbrushed out by many who would like to rewrite history. :)

Hunger strikes ended 3rd october
    tuesday 6th october.....James Prior, then Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, announced a number of changes in prison policy, one of which would allowed prisoners to wear their civilian clothes at all times. This was one of the five key demands that had been made at the start of the hunger strike. Prior also announced other changes: free association would be allowed in neighbouring wings of each H-Block, in the exercise areas and in recreation rooms; an increase in the number of visits each prisoner would be entitled to; and up to 50 per cent of lost remission would be restored. [The issue of prison work was not resolved at this stage but there were indications that this issue too would be addressed

I dunno,
    Who.your trying to fool??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,937 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Should have wrapped this one up, going round in circles.

In my opinion.

Inform yourself Rob..events dear boy, events.
    The hunger strike of 1981 had very important and far-reaching consequences for Northern Ireland and proved to be one of the key turning points of 'the Troubles'. The Republican movement had achieved a huge propaganda victory over the British government and had obtained a lot of international sympathy. Active and tacit support for the Irish Republican Army (IRA) increased in Nationalist areas. Political support for Sinn Féin (SF) was demonstrated in two by-elections (and the general election in the Republic of Ireland) and eventually led to the emergence of SF as a significant political force in Northern Ireland. The British government's fear that SF would overtake the Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP) as the main representative of the Catholic population of Northern Ireland was a key reason for the government signing the Anglo-Irish Agreement (AIA) on 15 November 1985.

• Advertisement

Hunger strikes ended 3rd october

So they get to wear their own clothes-how many died? There was no treaty for another four years.

So they get to wear their own clothes-how many died? There was no treaty for another four years.

Interesting,if somewhat poor way to move goalposts....doubt you'll get many takers to follow this rabbithole of dishonesty

Tbh id have to admire,your ability to keep plugging away,as 3 different posters have corrected,yous on basic facts and still you proclaim.and post as if yous an expert

If i could attach a hat-tip gif i would :pac:

[B]
    Inform yourself Rob..events dear boy, events.

[/B]

I`m surprised you`re quoting from a book which describes all this as `the troubles`:rolleyes:

[B]

[/B]

I`m surprised you`re quoting from a book which describes all this as `the troubles`:rolleyes:

I don't call it the troubles out of respect for those for whom it was much more than a 'trouble'. My own family included.

But if it helps you to avoid the point...work away.

Interesting,if somewhat poor way to move goalposts....doubt you'll get many takers to follow this rabbithole of dishonesty

Tbh id have to admire,your ability to keep plugging away,as 3 different posters have corrected,yous on basic facts and still you proclaim.and post as if yous an expert

If i could attach a hat-tip gif i would :pac:

It`s a difference of opinion that`s all,I checked my facts before posting.

Anyone diminishing the impact of the Hunger Strikes is an agenda driven delusionist or totally uneducated on a subject they claim to know about.

You are entitled to an opinion on whether it was a good or a bad impact but that is it.

Anyone diminishing the impact of the Hunger Strikes is an agenda driven delusionist or totally uneducated on a subject they claim to know about.

You are entitled to an opinion on whether it was a good or a bad impact but that is it.

Listen francie,I`ve still got my `H block heroes`mug I bought in Bundoran 20 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

Why isn't there a poll like there was in the first thread?

Listen francie,I`ve still got my `H block heroes`mug I bought in Bundoran 20 years ago!

You can use it to bail out that boat that is sinking under you. ;)

Its really not,claiming haughey was taoiseach at hunger strikes...claiming hunger strikes agreement was resolved years after it was over,when it was infact 3 days

Like your posts are there for all to see??

But lookit,your free to claim what you want,and thats ok too

• Advertisement

Its really not,claiming haughey was taoiseach at hunger strikes...claiming hunger strikes agreement was resolved years after it was over,when it was infact 3 days

Like your posts are there for all to see??

But lookit,your free to claim what you want,and thats ok too

I never claimed haughey was Taoiseach at that time,i said the British did`nt want to negotiate with him over the anglo-irish agreement in the early 80`s as he was untrustworthy and a known colluder with terrorists.
    Please keep up.

I never claimed haughey was Taoiseach at that time,i said the British did`nt want to negotiate with him over the anglo-irish agreement in the early 80`s as he was untrustworthy and a known colluder with terrorists.
    Please keep up.

Sure Maggie was canoodling with 'terrorists' she told Unionists that she never would.

Sure Maggie was canoodling with 'terrorists' she told Unionists that she never would.

Rather strange statement francie as the ira were against the treaty with gerry adams apparently incandescent with rage over it.

Rather strange statement francie as the ira were against the treaty with gerry adams apparently incandescent with rage over it.

Absolutely they were. Have you been googling Rob?

I certainly never claimed the IRA or Gerry were infallible.

Tell you one thing though, they were smart enough to recognise what it meant after a while, not like the kickers and screamers in the DUP...still kicking and screaming and still losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭eire4

Nobody mentioned Hunger Strikes until it was mentioned either. 'Disgruntled' wouldn't be anywhere near my state of mind.

Of course the EU will be behind a UI, it is now in all the EU's interests as the British state continues into chaos and the wider UK disintegrates.

It will be interesting to see how things go after a couple of years especially if as seems likely there is no trade deal in place by December 31st this year and then its a no deal Brexit situation. I think Brexit in general will lead to a reunification of Ireland quicker then it otherwise would happen and if there is no trade deal in place starting next year that likely will speed things up even more IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

40th anniversary of the hunger strike is next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I found Part One very depressing & demoralising, so let's hope there's a glimmer of light and positivity (from both Tribes) in Part Two :)

Part one was obsessed with the past, The British Empire came up quite a lot, as did the Northern Ireland Troubles 1968-98. Oliver Cromwell (1643-51) made a few appearances, the Great Famine (1845-49), genocide got a mention as did the Nazis, and the "dirty protests" /Maze prison (1981), while the Provos were praised by some, and The Brits were despised by others. Brits out, up the RA. You are not British, Oh Yes We Are, oh no you're not, Oh Yes We Are!

We hate you, we hate you too...

Dear God it makes for grim reading, and yet, the title of the Thread was ...

How long before Irish Unification?

Let's hope Part Two is a more upbeat thread (that looks to the future) moreso than dwelling in the bleak and bloody past. Maybe there never will be a United Ireland as per the Republican dream, but maybe there will be something close to a Union between North & South, with GB pushed out of the picture, Who knows what a border poll will show?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I found Part One very depressing & demoralising, so let's hope there's a glimmer of light and positivity (from both Tribes) in Part Two :)

Part one was obsessed with the past, The British Empire came up quite a lot, as did the Northern Ireland Troubles 1968-98. Oliver Cromwell (1643-51) made a few appearances, the Great Famine (1845-49), genocide got a mention as did the Nazis, and the "dirty protests" /Maze prison (1981), while the Provos were praised by some, and The Brits were despised by others. Brits out, up the RA. You are not British, Oh Yes We Are, oh no you're not, Oh Yes We Are!

We hate you, we hate you too...

Dear God it makes for grim reading, and yet, the title of the Thread was ...

How long before Irish Unification?

Let's hope Part Two is a more upbeat thread (that looks to the future) moreso than dwelling in the bleak and bloody past. Maybe there never will be a United Ireland as per the Republican dream, but maybe there will be something close to a Union between North & South, with GB pushed out of the picture, Who knows what a border poll will show?

You constantly come in here with a your happy clappy nonsense and endlessly defend beligerent Unionism. So disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

You constantly come in here with a your happy clappy nonsense and endlessly defend beligerent Unionism. So disingenuous.

He has a point though. It’s for the Shinners to explain how the status quo will realistically be broken and what kind of United Ireland they set to propose .

Not one single statement has being made by them here to support their claims .

All we get, as per usual, is whataboutry and even some degree of an attempt was made it only went as far as a bland but questionable claim that NI would be prosperous under a UI

There comments also do absolutely nothing to entice moderate Unionists either ,who will be needed to push it over the line, in the North

Reeks of the “breed the proddies out , up the ra” to anyone else

• Advertisement

He has a point though. It’s for the Shinners to explain how the status quo will realistically be broken and what kind of United Ireland they set to propose .

Not one single statement has being made by them here to support their claims .

All we get, as per usual, is whataboutry and even some degree of an attempt was made it only went as far as a bland but questionable claim that NI would be prosperous under a UI

There comments also do absolutely nothing to entice moderate Unionists either ,who will be needed to push it over the line, in the North

Reeks of the “breed the proddies out , up the ra” to anyone else

Certainly cant be any worse,by any metric NI has failed as a state

Powersharing deosnt work,geos years on end without sitting....time to pull the plug and admit last 100 odd years has been a failure

(when meanwhile the free state has prospered,beyond recognition in same timeframe)

Time has run out on the union,demographics has seen to it

Advertisement