Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1969 on: refugee camps in the 26 Counties

• 12-11-2013 1:11am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

I was driving past Gormanston army base in Meath yesterday evening and I remembered vividly an extract from Reeling in the Years 1972 (which doesn't appear to be in YouTube) where a Belfast kid spoke about the differences between living in the refugee camp in Gormanston and living in Belfast.

(1969, from 23:00)

(1971, from 17:06)

According to the Department of Defence about Gormanston: "In 1969 over 600 refugees escaping from the violence in Belfast were accommodated at this location and this continued on a regular basis until the end of 1971 by which stage some 12,000 persons had been assisted at the camp."

Anyway, some questions:

1) How many of these refugee camps were there in the republic?
    2) When did they open? How many people stayed in them?
    3) For how long did they usually stay?
    4) What sort of alternative accommodation were they given afterwards?
    5) When did they close?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Rebelheart wrote: »
    4) What sort of alternative accommodation were they given afterwards?

Read on one of the forums on here, that a good number were moved into the flats in Ballymun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I think that Kilworth Camp and the Garda College at Templemore were used as refugee centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭donaghs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Quite a few of these families ended up being settled in Shannon town in Clare. Still a lot of Northern names around there to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Quite a few of these families ended up being settled in Shannon town in Clare. Still a lot of Northern names around there to this day.
    Yep. As Shannon was a relatively new town, which the government wanted to grow, it seemed an obvious place to relocate them.

From having worked at a few functions in Shannon Golf Club, I came across a disproportionately high number of members in their 50s/60s with northern accents. I'd love to know how many people fleeing the North actually settled in the town? It's surely a couple of thousand at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

grenache wrote: »
    Yep. As Shannon was a relatively new town, which the government wanted to grow, it seemed an obvious place to relocate them.

From having worked at a few functions in Shannon Golf Club, I came across a disproportionately high number of members in their 50s/60s with northern accents. I'd love to know how many people fleeing the North actually settled in the town? It's surely a couple of thousand at least.

Couldn't put a number on it, but definitely a few hundred Grenache...lots of names like McArdle etc in Shannon to this day.

Advertisement