Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Baill" - conas a fhuaimníonn tu é?

Options
  • 31-03-2012 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Ní cainteoir dhúchais mé, is mar sin nílim cinnte faoin fhuaimniú fhocail éigin uaireanta. Fuaimním "ball" mar "bah-wl",
    Ach níl a fhois agam faoi "baill" (má gcaithfidh mé buille faoi tuairim a thabhairt, déarfainn "bah-il"). An bhfuil eolas ag aon duine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Bwill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Baill meaning members? I would pronounce that bweel

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ciaran1212

Go raibh maith agaibh. Agus ceard faoi "ball"? Tá uaim rialtacht le mo fhuaimniú.

ciaran1212 wrote: »
    Go raibh maith agaibh. Agus ceard faoi "ball"? Tá uaim rialtacht le mo fhuaimniú.

bowl (not "bole") but BOWl kind of. What dialect are you learning? It can vary a lot from dialect to dialect, and my suggestion is as good as another (different) one.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

In the Ulster dialect it would be somewhere between "baal" and "bwaal".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ciaran1212

Gumbi wrote: »
    bowl (not "bole") but BOWl kind of. What dialect are you learning? It can vary a lot from dialect to dialect, and my suggestion is as good as another (different) one.

That's how I pronounce it as well. I just didn't want to end up saying the singular in one dialect's pronunciation and the plural in a different one. I'm not sure which dialect I'm learning. I know how to pronounce most things (by my own logic, and I'm not sure where it comes from. I'm from Dublin so it's probably just which ever teachers I had growing up), but occasionally I'll come across a word I'm not sure how to pronounce.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

If the word is member I'd pronounce it as "ball" as in football

Oranage2 wrote: »
    If the word is member I'd pronounce it as "ball" as in football

I've heard that, too.

Advertisement