Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aurora Photography white balance settings

• 10-03-2012 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Recently there's been a plethora of "aurora" images hitting the Irish media and web. One thing I've noticed is how some are believed to be the aurora simply because there's a grren hue in the sky.
    I stress that it's extremly important to be familiar with the white balance settings of your digital camera and how it can affect to resulting image.

Here's an image I took the other night while out photographing the night sky.
    6824466154_4f3495d750_z.jpg
    What's that green hue on the left? Must be the Northern Lights!! NOT This is the reflection of the lights from a football club. This was shot in full AUTO WB mode.

Here's the same shot in Dayligh WB mode
    6824465418_f8b5ff2b7e_z.jpg

This is truer to what I actually saw. A typical light pollution scene with the Orange glow. I've cranked up the saturation in these images to emphasize the colours.

Here it is in Tungsten WB mode
    6824464206_c458650fb3_z.jpg
    Again the green area of cloud.

So check you have the correct White Balance Setting.
    In the above example we can see that Daylight setting was probably the correct setting.

Here's another example from the January storm.
    6824469010_9e7fe5f356_z.jpg
    Daylight White Balance (No light pollution in this area), but the aurora didn't look this yellow.

6824467642_4b92c28f5f_z.jpg
    AUTO White Balance mode
    Auto was the correct mode in this instance. More realistic green hues.

One other thing.....
    6970591865_137969bd0d_z.jpg
    This image shows:
    cloud in front of Aurora masking the aurora from view. You cannot see the aurora through clouds.
    Stars visible through the aurora.
    Bright light at bottom left of image is a ship on the horizon!

Also remember that the aurora will cover a large expanse of the northern horizon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Just shoot RAW and worry about it when you get home :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I suppose, to be pedantic, one should make a custom WB from a grey card!!!!!

Nice tip though, and a fine compromise. I guess one would need to neutralise all the different light sources, as they should all appear white in a technical production.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Just shoot RAW and worry about it when you get home :)
    gbee wrote: »
    I suppose, to be pedantic, one should make a custom WB from a grey card!!!!!

Absolutely agree, but I've noticed from exif data on flickr that some of the images are shot as jpeg in camera. No going back after that.

I suppose the easiest thing to do in the field is to take the shot , review the playback and adjust the settings there and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

muckish wrote: »
    as jpeg in camera..

PhotoMechanic allows WB changes for jpeg. [it might be limited to daylight and tungsten ??? have not used it in ages]

Advertisement