Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Continental Cold Snap, Updates and News Reports

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

mayfly757 wrote: »

Amazing pics, thanks! Woah thats a huge amount of snow, thats got to be 4/5 feet worth:eek:Is this a lot more than bucharest is used to, or is this just normal for them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mayfly757

They are used to cold winters and hot summers but even this was extreme for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

400x266_02151634_europe.jpg

Close but no cigar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

redsunset wrote: »

Close but no cigar

Tell that to the 600 people known to have died since this snap started 2-3 weeks back. 200 in Russia and 100 in each of the Ukraine, Romania and Poland.....so far. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Yes, but the weather will do what it wants and the same number of people and more could die just as easy in a Heat Wave, Hurricane etc.
    We are positioned well for nearly always a diluted version of anything severe.

• Advertisement

I did post recently on excess mortality in heatwaves and the European Heatwave 8 years ago was a lot worse that this cold, into 5 figures rather than three.600 is the number of direct deaths, excess mortality in addition to that has not yet been calculated...eg extra deaths in hospitals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

redsunset wrote: »
    400x266_02151634_europe.jpg

Close but no cigar
    Fair play to Accuweather. This forecast made months ago.

590x446_10202220_2011-12-winter-highlights-euro.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Just after been on skype to my inlaws in poland [przemysl/medyka],they are having heavy snowfalls again today...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46416255/ns/weather/
    Health officials say 151 people have died in the Ukraine during Eastern Europe's record-breaking cold spell, with alcohol regularly a contributing factor.

The health ministry said Thursday that nearly 4,000 others have been hospitalized with hypothermia and frostbite.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭quercus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

What a difference a week makes here, heavy rain, temp of 0c at present, and daytime temp of 8c. It has snowed on higher ground but nothing close to what we have seen before. Dusting off my flip flops!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

I suppose the Winter in Eastern Europe can be summed up

2784797_460s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This WMO report on the winter of (2011-)2012 late Jan into Feb severe cold in Europe gives a good overview and appears to rank the winter about equal with 1956 at least for southern and central France.

http://www.wmo.int/pages/mediacentre/news/documents/dwd_2012_report.pdf

The enduring highlights of this outbreak would be the exceptionally high pressures observed in northern Russia, probably the highest sea-level pressures seen in Europe since Jan 1907, and the severity of the snowfalls in southeast Europe, plus the exceptional spell of winter weather in the south of France. The effects on southeast England, while significant, were more of a routine type of cold spell and west of about central Yorkshire to the west Midlands to Hampshire, the effects of this pattern were largely secondary, a dry and more normal (in temperature) anticyclonic intrusion that mainly slowed down the otherwise rampant mild southwesterly regime of the winter.

Deep Easterly posted on the March contest thread about the significantly high average pressure observed this past winter season, taking Jan to Mar he found that the average is likely to be similar to the previous highest on record in 1953. Although the pattern may have been colder this winter in Europe than in that winter, the upstream similarity was considerable, as North America has just come through a very mild and snow-free winter that is breaking or matching records set in 1952-53.

The current spell of extreme warmth in central and eastern North America may also be a by-product of the European cold spell, in that the massive cold outflow into northwest Africa in early February could be seen enhancing the trade wind circulation (northeast winds heading away from Africa into the subtropical Atlantic) which appears to have contributed to the development of a very strong flow of subtropical air into the Gulf of Mexico region and swelling up the Bermuda high. Temperature anomalies are running +10 C or higher for the past week in many parts of the U.S. and Canada east of the Rockies.

I continue to think that this anomalous pattern is likely to lead at some point in April to a higher latitude blocking high near Greenland and Iceland, which may mean that there are some wintry surprises in store for the spring despite this rather bland and docile beginning to the season. I would say the most likely time for such a development would be mid to late April.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

there are some wintry surprises in store for the spring

:eek:
    :D

My Mum has a 'feeling' that we'll see something wintry before May comes. She thinks we were let off way too lightly this winter. She's not a meteorologist or a scientist but as a mother has a degree in Instincts!

I was thinking the same yesterday, this winter was similar to 91-2 - a nothing winter with high pressure close by. I have some old photos (pre digital era) taken on April 4th '92 showing heavy snow lying in Glencree in the Dublin mts.
    I also remember a fairly heavy fall in mid April 1998 after a winter also similar to this nothing winter.
    Your mum may be right? (sure aren't mammies always right!)

Rrea00119920403.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I also remember a fairly heavy fall in mid April 1998 after a winter also similar to this nothing winter.

Can remember getting some heavy snow showers as recently as either April 2007 or 2008 (bad memory). I think as a month though April is probably one, if not the most boring month of the year for weather in this country. Any warmth you might get in it is as fickle as any cold it may deliver.

Roll on a hot 40c + summer with plenty of warm, healthy showers. lightning.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

conditions here already feel more summer like and warmer than anything we saw during the height of the summer last year and it's still March. Finger's, toe's everything crossed that this summer will be decent in terms of sun and warmth with a few spanish plumes for good measure, we truly deserve it after a countless run of bitterly crap summers.

:D FI I know but a northerly blast has been showing in recent charts.
    Bring it on! who wants summer in March? Darkman might reappear soon?

Rtavn3241.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I was thinking the same yesterday, this winter was similar to 91-2 - a nothing winter with high pressure close by. I have some old photos (pre digital era) taken on April 4th '92 showing heavy snow lying in Glencree in the Dublin mts.
    Your mum may be right? (sure aren't mammies always right!)

Rrea00119920403.gif

What temperatures would that bring?

Another thing, I was looking at some old photos and I came across a picture of me at the Dublin zoo in 1990 with a heavy coat with snow. The camera recorded the date on the actual picture and it was the first week in June.

Doesn't anyone remember it happening or do you think its an error with the date on the camera?

It was an error with the date on the camera.
    June 1990. TM = max, Tm = min

http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/Dublin_Airport/06-1990/39690.htm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i dont remember the 1992 April cold event but i do remember one around the late 80s where we woke up to almost a foot of snow during first or second week of April, however the sun came out around 10am and most of the snow was melted by sunset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Glencree is in county wicklow... :)

The winters from 91-92 onwards was the start of a roll of mild snowless for most winters,with the exception of the last week of december '95 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

"Experts" are predicting that the European freeze may have cut up to 5 million tons of wheat from this years harvest,

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-22/european-crops-damaged-by-winter-freeze-now-face-drought.html

And now drought threatens to deliver a followup blow.

http://www.noggersblog.co.uk/prices/blog/EUdrought.png

Paris wheat is up close to €40 a ton since early December

Advertisement