Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Animals, Plants and the Weather, Natures Signs :MOD note 121

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Einhard wrote: »
    Was walking home from town today, and it's very muggy and warm. There are clouds rising on the horizon, and it feels like one of those moments when a thunderstorm is imminent. I noticed that the birds were particularly clamorous, congregating in larger numbers than I would have noticed recently, and generally making an awful racket. This got me to thinking about the storie one hears about animals fleeing before storms, and birds anticipating the same. I always thought they were apocryphal, but then I'm a bit of a cynic in general. So I thought I'd turn to the to good denizens of the weather forum to inform me- can animals "forecast" the weather?

They can certainly nowcast..this video is a good example of the birds getting the flock out of dodge before the impending storm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOSIjoZnHwI

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

A Redwing was in my garden this morning... perhaps a sign for next week. Unusual to see just one though. I'll keep a close eye out for more but it was quite evident in 2010 when we had huge flocks of Redwings coming from Scandinavia

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Caff Caff wrote: »
    A Redwing was in my garden this morning... perhaps a sign for next week. Unusual to see just one though. I'll keep a close eye out for more but it was quite evident in 2010 when we had huge flocks of Redwings coming from Scandinavia

Not a bird expert but have some interest in the topic, just a few questions/thoughts on it.

Some Redwings migrate to southern Europe/North Africa over Winter. Could this bird just be following a southerly route and getting caught in an airflow and blown over this way?

As next weeks airflow will be from an East/North Easterly direction could this be a sign of the beginning of that movement of air??

Or is the bird just simply lost??

From the bit of reading I have done on these birds, they are able to get around, even managing to colonise the southern tip of Greenland.

It will be interesting to see if anymore numbers of Redwings appear over the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

To be honest, we tend to get Redwings in the gardens and fields every winter mild or not. What I noticed in 09 and again in 2010, were Fieldfares, which are not as commonly seen around my neck of the woods. Didn't see any last year, very mild one of course. I haven't seen any this year, but since I'm working dawn to dusk - kind of unlikely - I will be looking this weekend though out in the fields,where they flock on the ground. Maybe they are a better 'barometer', if we look to the migrating birds for signs of cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I've heard from someone who watches nature that starling numbers have gone down a lot this year. He didn't suggest a reason or anything it might mean, just an observation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Joe Public wrote: »
    I've heard from someone who watches nature that starling numbers have gone down a lot this year. He didn't suggest a reason or anything it might mean, just an observation.

I've noticed that too.
    Usually I can't keep nuts in the feeders with them around. This year it's hardly any starlings.
    But I have a load of black caps and yellow tits devouring sunflower seeds and I had very few last year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

If gulls appear in my neck of the woods, bad weather is guaranteed, and the greater the number the worse the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

slowburner wrote: »
    If gulls appear in my neck of the woods, bad weather is guaranteed, and the greater the number the worse the weather.

And?...... have they?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Just two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I don't know if this is a "sign" but the birds are lashing any food I put out for them, usually there is a few birds about but there are so many now the supplies need to be replenished every couple of hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Yep same for the last few weeks here.

I'm horsing kilo bags of nut, seeds and fat balls into them.

Back garden is like an aviary. Big birds and small gathering together. No fear in them. They mean business.

perhaps January is when the manure hits the revolving air mover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Great thread!

Going to pick up a 15kg bag off mix today in Aldi jut so were covered for the winter months, I dunno if I'm being crazy but half of me wants to prepare for a winter snow assault, esp when stuff like this is coming !

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

I agree... the birds are frantic for the cheese. Each winter I put cheese out and they go crazy for it for keeping warm overnight (bar last year). I wouldn't have sren many red wing in Dublin in all my years. 2010 was a real treat for inordinate flocks of them. I have seen a small number now this year which is still not common for where I am. Although there are less fields(damn developers).
    )
    I've mentioned in the technical thread (although I think it is being ignored due to ramping) that next week will be cold but perhaps not enough for snow on lower levels. January will be a better bet as I've continued to say. We'll see iy after Christmas, a colder change and I see MT is saying it too and Redsunset here. We have Oyster Catchers on our green too in the last week with the geese and that happens for us when they move in from the east coast which we always take as a sign of stormy weather or severe cold.

I best stock up for the birds because they'll probably go for the rabbit if I don't keep up with their demand!

JJJJNR wrote: »
    I don't know if this is a "sign" but the birds are lashing any food I put out for them, usually there is a few birds about but there are so many now the supplies need to be replenished every couple of hours.

The weather has been cold with many frosty nights and the birds use up more energy to stay warm, therefore they need to eat more to replenish the extra lost energy.
    If we were going through a mild spell and the birds were lashing into the food then I'd be wondering if they knew something we didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Redwings, fieldfares, lapwings, curlews and a lot of waders have been flooding into ireland for about six weeks now.....saw them first down in south Kerry in late October (they shared the air with swallows for a few days before they went south - strange sight!) but they may have just stopped in for a bit of nosh before flying further....plenty in north wicklow for three or four weeks now but nothing unusual....2010 saw ridiculous numbers of them after they all abandoned Scandinavia en masse because of cold. 2010 was very hard on all small birds but I'm not sure that starlings would have been any more vulnerable....saw a big flock doing a spectacular roosting flight in wexford a few weeks back.......most small birds are opportunists and will eat whatever they can find whenever they can find it...if they are getting stuck into food provided by kind folk, it's because it's there.....

Hi all.
    I was putting out seed for the wild birds today and ive spotted 2 chaffinches.
    So I went and did a bit of reading on them and this is what I've found:
    From wiki

Popular belief holds that the chaffinch's song foretells rain, leading to the name wetbird.[31]

It also says it prefers to frequent cold climates in Europe.
    Just thought I'd add it here

Lots of waxwings have been moving into Ireland and other parts of Europe mainly due to the shortage of berries up north where they usually reside. The berry crop here is now disappearing quickly.

There's a tree out backof my place too and it's stripped of red berries.

There feasting on nuts and seeds now.

The waxwings don't eat nuts or seeds so I presume you mean the chaffinches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Can somebody help here? We look after a flight pond in some woods. This year, the duckweed started dying back in early November. Today, the pond is absolutely covered, no clear water at all. I presume that we are not having enough frosts, the problem has got bigger in the past week. No ducks are flying in at all.
    This is the first year this has happened. Has anyone else a similar experience?

• Advertisement

Can somebody help here? We look after a flight pond in some woods. This year, the duckweed started dying back in early November. Today, the pond is absolutely covered, no clear water at all. I presume that we are not having enough frosts, the problem has got bigger in the past week. No ducks are flying in at all.
    This is the first year this has happened. Has anyone else a similar experience?
    Wandering a bit off topic here.
    It's unlikely that lack of frost is the problem - have you not had frosts?
    The problem is enrichment of some sort (eutrophication).
    The solution is to find the source of the enrichment. This could be fertiliser, or some such.
    This kind of problem is sometimes treated by allowing a bale of barley straw to decompose in the pond. The decomposing bale produces enough hydrogen peroxide to control algae, which should clear the water.

It's very likely not a weather related problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Well at least the Postie is on board. :P
    POSTMAN WARNS WINTER COULD STILL DELIVER A STING!
    http://www.donegaldaily.com/2013/01/08/postman-warns-winter-could-still-deliver-a-sting/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Depends on the part of the country. My Starlings are doing fine, good populations and possibly three nestings.

What I see more than a lack of numbers is more periodic feeding, I might have one less family.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Pangea wrote: »
    Well at least the Postie is on boards. :P

Fixed that for you, :P

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

I'm not totally convinced about nature signs but I have noticed a lot of birds in my garden today picking at the ground and bushes, something I haven't seen all winter. I did notice this before the 2010 cold spell but didn't believe the link. If we are in for another cold spell I think my opinion on this will change!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Just seen some daffodils early not in bloom but not far from it
    Earliest I have seen them

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Mine are up 3 inches already

Pangea wrote: »
    Some rare birds visiting Donegal this week, sign of anything?

Waxwings
    http://www.donegalnow.com/sp/article_manager/detail/unusual_birdlife_flocks_to_inishowen

Bittern
    http://www.highlandradio.com/2013/01/07/video-of-rare-bittern-bird-spotted-in-inishowen/

Cattle egret
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/environment/bird-swaps-savannahs-of-africa-for-donegal-16258648.html[/QUOTE]

Waxwings are well covered already in this thread, bad crop of berries in the northern woods this season but it's very rare they hit the west of Ireland and have been spotted west of the Shannon.

Frog spawn was spotted in Cork last week which is really early, just proves the frogs know zilch or Cork is going to miss out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Frog spawn was spotted in Cork last week which is really early, just proves the frogs know zilch or Cork is going to miss out.

Wouldn't worry about the frogs in Cork, sure they survived the Ice age! :D
    L.perenne wrote:
    It might be interesting to note here that in the past the south-west of Ireland may have been a glacial refugia in the past ice age. For example frogs in the SW of Ireland are gentically distinct & it is theorised that this is the cause. Here is a link to a recent paper on the issue. There are other examples of this too in the plant kingdom.

http://www.nature.com/hdy/journal/v1...y2008133a.html

Maybe Cork will never get snow!

Advertisement