Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

fire ball in the water??

Options
  • 22-08-2011 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Ok this is going to sound really out there but..

yesterday my dad and i were down the cliffs fioshing .. as we were coming up the fields we were looking back down over sea and it was like a fireball travelling across the estuary ... when it hit the large flag (wheer people fish) a large cloud of foam went spashung uop like i've neevr seen before .. must have sprayed about 60 feet up.. thank god we wern't down there still

any idea what it was? people have been saying some kind of mini twister brewing... there was a thundery kind of atmosphere at the time although we got none... the tide was very rough that same evening .. it went dead calm at one stage and then suddenly a 10 foot wave came from nowhere. i had to leg my way up top higher ground :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

0209_pnmy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

A meteorite?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What film was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Stressica wrote: »
    yesterday my dad and i were down the cliffs fioshing .. as we were coming up the fields we were looking back down over sea and it was like a fireball travelling across the estuary ... when it hit the large flag (wheer people fish) a large cloud of foam went spashung uop like i've neevr seen before .. must have sprayed about 60 feet up.. thank god we wern't down there still
    Look up legends, myths, and fairy tales regarding the fireballs, and you'll come across a few names for it no doubt. When this sort of thing often happens on moors, it's called "will-o-the wisp".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Where was it? Were you the only people to see it? Didn't anyone whip out their phone or camera?

In all the Will-o-the Wisp stories I've ever heard it is supposed to be like the glowing end of a cigarette - hardly fireball status. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Any chance it was ball lightning?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

There was a fireball last night and it potentially was seen by thousands across the Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ca25

Pangea wrote: »
    There was a fireball last night and it potentially was seen by thousands across the Ireland.

Do you have anything more on this? Was falling asleep last night between 1.30 and 2.30 and saw a bright flash through the blinds - wonder if it was the same thing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

ca25 wrote: »
    Do you have anything more on this? Was falling asleep last night between 1.30 and 2.30 and saw a bright flash through the blinds - wonder if it was the same thing.....

Plenty of reports on the astronomy forum here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Thud

those thing can be valuable, would get your goggles out and go looking for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

Ok, well .... thanks for the replies-ish.... turns out it wasn't fire but the sun shining on the twister like thing in the water ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Missile bound for Tripoli..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Pangea wrote: »

Was driving down around killarney last night I I was certin I saw a large flash in the sky, There was not a lot of clouds so i was certain it was not lightining I thing it was in an easterly direction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

I saw a bright greenish flash in the sky one night. Lit up the place for a split second. Faster than a shootin star when it passed.

Any ideas what it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Ok this is going to sound really out there but..

yesterday my dad and i were down the cliffs fioshing:

Where did this happen?

excellent video of here of the Meteor near the Andes, Peru, its one of the best catches I have ever seen.

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16057224

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Jake1 wrote: »
    excellent video of here of the Meteor near the Andes, Peru, its one of the best catches I have ever seen.

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16057224

That was a lovely video clip of a plane.

Popoutman wrote: »
    That was a lovely video clip of a plane.

yeah, my bad. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

happened in county kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

happened in county kerry.

Maybe Fungi the Dolphin had a bad case of wind that day? but defo sounds interesting, could have been a little water spout or something which are not that uncommon in coastal areas during thundery weather. :)

Edit, just looking at the analysis charts for the 21st August, there was an unstable westerly airflow over the country with showery troughs passing through so this could have helped to whip up some strong eddies or even a water spout ahead of or during a shower.

197458.gif
    Image source: KNMI

• Advertisement
Advertisement