Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thurs-Fri 16th-17th July: Wet and Windy unseasonable weather

Options
  • 15-07-2015 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭

A developing low to the SW of the country will bring some weather more akin to winter months with some heavy rain and gales.

gfs-0-42_gyg5.png

Heavy Rain for the SW and W will make it quite miserable out for this time of year. It does appear to move through quite quickly but could still lead to surface water on roads.
    36-574UK_nyd1.GIF

Winds up to 50mph for the West coast come Friday morning on the back side of the Low pressure.

51-289UK_nrh2.GIF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Although no where near as vigorous, this low looks like tracking on an almost exact same path as Hurricane Debbie back in '61.

355346.PNG

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My poor apples :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

What's unseasonal about it ? Summers are always awful in this country :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Rikand wrote: »

Because its a fairly deep low for this time of year.

The west is getting lucky though with the main band of rain only just hugging the coastline.

355391.png

Some thundery potential too which I will be keeping an eye on.

And btw, last year's summer was not awful..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Rikand wrote: »
    You're more right than wrong in my opinion. We haven't had a long hot summer in this country for exactly 20 years and the best months are more often than not May and September, not even summer! The heatwaves in those 20 years you could count on one hand - Aug '03, July '06 and '13. There may be others but I can't think of any.
    And btw, last year's summer was not awful..
    Think so? I think I had about 3 sunny days last summer, I remember the east coast from Bray south got a lot of sun but I seemed to be under a permanent blanket of cloud, btw an official heatwave in Ireland (according to MetE) is 5 or more consecutive days with temps over 25c, how often does that happen?
    So I find it hard to disagree with Rikand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Think so? I think I had about 3 sunny days last summer, I remember the east coast from Bray south got a lot of sun but I seemed to be under a permanent blanket of cloud, btw an official heatwave in Ireland (according to MetE) is 5 or more consecutive days with temps over 25c, how often does that happen?
    So I find it hard to disagree with Rikand.

You must be very unlucky!
    June 2014 had above normal temperatures everywhere, peaking at 27 degrees. Valentia recorded it's sunniest June in 74 years. Absolute drought conditions were reported at a number of stations.
    Dublin Airport only recorded 1 dull day in July 2014 (less than 0.5 hours of sunshine) which equalled the lowest numbers of monthly dull days since 1990.
    Temperatures got up to 28.8 degrees in places in July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Here's ESTOFEX's take on that low:
    SYNOPSIS

A very complex forecast evolves with lots of dephasing in respect of ingredients and an abnormally developing synoptic-scale vortex just west of Ireland.
    All models agree in track and strength of that vortex, which features a tight pressure gradient in the lowest 2 km AGL. Phase diagrams show a distinct warm-core signature as influx of modified subtropical air continues towards its center. This is an unusual strong vortex for that time of year e.g. with core pressure approaching 990 hPa in some model runs. As often seen with such features, a steady motion exists, increasing overall confidence in the forecast of numerical models, which indicate peak strength NW of Ireland during the day. Increasing strength of that vortex towards lower levels also means strong gradient flow in the lower to mid troposphere (up to 5 km AGL), which spreads northeast and affects N-France, NW-Germany, the North Sea and UK during the forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

You must be very unlucky!
    June 2014 had above normal temperatures everywhere, peaking at 27 degrees. Valentia recorded it's sunniest June in 74 years. Absolute drought conditions were reported at a number of stations.
    Dublin Airport only recorded 1 dull day in July 2014 (less than 0.5 hours of sunshine) which equalled the lowest numbers of monthly dull days since 1990.
    Temperatures got up to 28.8 degrees in places in July.

Call a spade a spade! 2013 and 2014 had good summers, 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2015,bad.

So at least 75% of the time Irish summers are indeed awful! Pretty much the most miserable in all Europe [probably along with Scotland]. Some claim to fame!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

acequion wrote: »
    Call a spade a spade! 2013 and 2014 had good summers, 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2015,bad.

So at least 75% of the time Irish summers are indeed awful! Pretty much the most miserable in all Europe [probably along with Scotland]. Some claim to fame!

jasus theres some miserable people in this country. get on with it! buy a good jacket. what a fantastic country will live in. stunning place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Some very severe gusts in Castlebar at the moment, been ongoing for the last half hour, feels like a winter's night.

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    Some very severe gusts in Castlebar at the moment, been ongoing for the last half hour, feels like a winter's night.

unusually chilly here in waterford to. strange day for july

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    jasus theres some miserable people in this country. get on with it! buy a good jacket. what a fantastic country will live in. stunning place.

I'm being truthful,not miserable. Stunning country,yes. Good climate,no way! Living in the beautiful south west I know what I'm talking about on both counts.

And I'd far rather the flip flops to the "good jacket" in July :D

acequion wrote: »
    I'm being truthful,not miserable. Stunning country,yes. Good climate,no way! Living in the beautiful south west I know what I'm talking about on both counts.

And I'd far rather the flip flops to the "good jacket" in July :D

ah i hear yea but our climate really isnt that bad. ive been in 40 odd maybe 50 heat. now thats hell. been in tropical places. can see wet season being a bit annoying after a while. havent been to extreme cold yet but id say that would eventually get to you. all relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭20silkcut

True the only climate that is really consistently pleasant is the Mediterranean type climate.
    But then they don't have lush green fields like we do .

The climate around London/Northern France/ Belgium probably has the best of both worlds being more sheltered from the Atlantic muck than ourselves and not too cold in winter.

Advertisement