Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Foley Street off Talbot St:why so called?

• 20-10-2013 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭

Anyone know why Foley Street, which is just off Talbot Street, is called that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

tac foley wrote: »
    It's a great name, isn't it? Hit on 'Foley Street' and you'll get 61,000,000 hits.......

Lots of places are called by that name - in the US of A - Foley Square DC, and even a city in Alabama - http://www.cityoffoley.org/

But then, I'm biased.

tac

Not quite what I am asking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

bobbyss wrote: »
    Not quite what I am asking about.

I know that, just a bit of staging around, eh?

I thought all you people over there had a sense of humour......sigh.

Sorry about that. I've pulled my post so that you serious people can get on with it.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Anyone know why Foley Street, which is just off Talbot Street, is called that?

Foley Street used to be called Montgomery Street. It was renamed Foley Street after John Henry Foley, a sculptor.

JH Foley was born on Montgomery Street, May 1818.

Sorry about that. I've pulled my post so that you serious people can get on with it.

tac

'...you people...' ?

It's named after this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_Foley

He was born there when it was called Montgomery Street (which is where the name for the red light district "The Monto" came from.) Before it was Montgomery Street it was "World's End Lane".

Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

'...you people...' ?

Don't misquote me, Sir. I wrote 'you serious people'. Irish people of my exerience in general are a mite less touchy about a little verbal funning than most.

But then, I 'spose I'm making a wild supposition there, based on my dad and his family, and friends I have in Ireland, all of whom could and can make me laugh a lot.

Apologies to you if you feel offended by being lumped in as one of the 'serious' Irish people.

tac

tac

Misquote?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Misquote?

Ah, just stop it will you. You got your answer.

Tac is sound.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Wasn't Foley the sculptor of the O'Connell Monument?

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Wasn't Foley the sculptor of the O'Connell Monument?

Yes I believe he may have been.

By that way, while I am at it, anybody know why Mabel Street (near Croke Park) is called that? I think the only ever manager of Barcelona was born there. Of course it may well have changed name since then.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement