Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

1545556575860»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

Hi,

Im in desperate need of help and steering towards the right camera!!

Spend: 1200 euro max

need: great stills, 4k video.

would be great: ibis and weather sealed

im not stuck to any brand or system.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

feelpablo wrote: »
    Hi,

Im in desperate need of help and steering towards the right camera!!

Spend: 1200 euro max

need: great stills, 4k video.

would be great: ibis and weather sealed

im not stuck to any brand or system.

Thanks in advance

You could look at an Olympus E-M1 II or a Panasonic G9.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 davesweets

Hi All,

Had a good read through the forum but your help would be appreciated.

Looking for a decent Camera (DSLR or Mirrorless) with a good zoom range specifically sports/rugby shots. Have used a family members Canon 100d (18-55mm lens) but would like something with more zoom range.

Budget around €900. If anyone could recommend a lens/body combo that would be much appreciated. Is it best to stick to DSLR or is there a mirrorless in budget with a decent zoom range for sports?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Unless you have legacy gear, stay clear of DSLR.

Sony are stopping production of their gear and Canon have cancelled their DSLR lenses and cameras are due to follow soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Unless you have legacy gear, stay clear of DSLR.

Sony are stopping production of their gear and Canon have cancelled their DSLR lenses and cameras are due to follow soon.

Slight bit of overreaction - yes canon have indicated they will stop production of EF lenses and will possibly stop production of EF camera bodies (but they make multiple millions of each every year, so there will be plenty floating around for years to come, if my memory is correct they stopped production of manual focus lenses (70s/80s)and film cameras in the 90s ..... Yet they are all still available for purchase on the secondhand marketplace, some in new condition.

• Advertisement

Slight bit of overreaction - yes canon have indicated they will stop production of EF lenses and will possibly stop production of EF camera bodies (but they make multiple millions of each every year, so there will be plenty floating around for years to come, if my memory is correct they stopped production of manual focus lenses (70s/80s)and film cameras in the 90s ..... Yet they are all still available for purchase on the secondhand marketplace, some in new condition.

If you were starting with a brand new kit, would you chose to start with an out dated setup, that's out of production and with no future development...

Or would you chose a current system with availability, an upgrade path and modern use in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 davesweets

If you were starting with a brand new kit, would you chose to start with an out dated setup, that's out of production and with no future development...

Or would you chose a current system with availability, an upgrade path and modern use in mind?

Thanks both. So in terms of starting from scratch and going with a mirrorless and needing a decent zoom lens. Where should I look in terms of makes and models for less than a grand?

davesweets wrote: »
    Thanks both. So in terms of starting from scratch and going with a mirrorless and needing a decent zoom lens. Where should I look in terms of makes and models for less than a grand?

You mentioned sports photography earlier... From that perspective I can't advise... You'll probably be looking for a faster shutter... Not sure what the recommendations might be.

I'm a fan of the Canon EOS M system. The new M6ii or M50Ii might be good, but not sure of budget. Some here might recommend full frame cameras...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Me, based on the experience of choosing both paths in various domains, I'd opt for the supposedly "outdated" system. Not only does it generally offer much better value for money, but there's also considerably more information available about the features, quirks and limitations of the system than one that is still relatively new. Similarly, an "upgrade path" can turn out to be a dead end if either the technology or your interest swerves off in another direction.

Regarding the OP's question: for sports photography, you should be aiming for/comparing cameras with the highest rate of shots per second, and lenses with the widest aperture at long focal lengths. The fact that you're asking the question suggests that you're not already pushing yourself and your equipment to the max in this field, as the "right" answer will usually present itself through an examination of the shots that you found unsatisfactory. I would be wary of spending nearly a grand on something in the hope that it'll work out OK if you don't have a list of improvements you want to make.

• Hopefully this is the right thread for this, but with phone cameras being so good thease days especially on the recent Google Pixel phones and of course the Apple iPhone is it still worth it for someone who just wants to take nice photos to invest in a dedicated camera?

Ideally I'm looking for something compact and easy to travel with my main interest is in landscapes, wildlife and birds (the feather kind 😄)

I have no idea what I should spend although ideally it will be a max of €900 with a lens and maybe even a transport case.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi, I took up photography a year ago and started out with a basic DSLR the Canon EOS 2000D. I’m now thinking about upgrading. I was thinking the EOS 90D or some equivalent of mirrorless camera. I’m looking for a general purpose camera that I can use for landscapes and family occasions alike. I don’t know anything about mirrorless cameras at all. I’d like to stick with Canon. Can anyone help me out? Budget is around 2000 - 2500 and should include a lens or two for that price. What mirrorless cameras do people recommend that fit the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

https://berminghamcameras.ie/canon-eos-rp.html

Any of the canon mirrorless in The R series are a good bet .. R , RP or R6 .

New R7 and R10 being released in the next few months so maybe wait till to see what price they will be.

With an adopter all your current Lens will work on the R camera and work well in my experience.

There is talk of canon discontinuing the M mount so maybe that might be one to avoid.

For your budget you Would pick up an RP or an R with a Lens or a R6 with no Lens but as I mentioned you can use any current canon Lens you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Trying to source a Fujifilm X-S10 to replace a faulty X-T20 but they seem to be as rare as hens teeth at the moment. Has anyone seen stock online or can recommend an online store to keep an eye on? I have been through the usual Irish shops so am casting the net further afield at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,336 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Hi all, I am hoping that someone could recommend me a good camera. No real budget in mind.

I currently have a Nikon Coolpix P900 but I have issues with her focusing (when zooming into an object no matter how slow I zoom in, 95% of the time she can't focus) and shutting down if I try to take a picture of let's say the ceiling inside a cathedral. I recently returned from a holidays and the pictures I took on my phone look better than the ones on the Nikon.

My main usage for the camera is travelling so looking for a excellent camera that works well for snapping architecture, inside cathedrals, landscapes and in particular museums.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

My first camera was a Nikon D5100 with DX kit lens 18-55mm f4.5 - I still use it. The model has been discontinued but can be bought used for around €160, lens maybe €50 www.mpb.com I paid approx €700 in 2012 and use it with f2.8 lenses now.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭grind gremlin

Can anyone recommend a camera in and around the €350 mark (or less), that would be good for taking photos mainly of my kids and the occasional landscape / nature.

I’m not very tech savvy and don’t anticipate I will be doing any editing of photographs taken.

I have been using my iPhone up to this point but printed images aren’t of great quality at all

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 retoos

I was looking forward to the camera at a lower price! I have high hopes that the Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro and the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra will be excellent photography phones that are reasonably priced in some parts of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CID question

Hi could someone direct to a relevant existing thread, or offer advice.

Need to get a videocamera to record club hurling matches for simple general analysis. No software required; recorded on memory card and viewed on a laptop from there.Budget around €600. Will need to get a tripod and gimbal(?) also on top of this.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Hello,

I would like to buy a video camera/camcorder. I am a complete beginner.

I don't mind buying an old model. I would probably not want to pay more than 250-300 quid in total. Do you have recommendations for good used models to consider?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

Hi

Ive been lookin for places to let go my camera dont know if this is the correct way in doin so. Have a sony rx100m5 (Sony RX100v) compact camera and havnt got the time to sell

If interested let me know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Only way to find out is to stick up a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Notch000

looking for advise. Back in the day I had a Nikon D40 which I loved then upgraded to a Nikon D5100 and upgrades to a Sony A6500 which I never liked. Thinking of going back to a Nikon D5600 or maybe cheaper D3500 (i believe they have the seam senor) i like the size & weight and the click shutter DSLR ness.

Reason to stick with Nikon is i like the brand and UI and lens seem to have got really affordable since DSLRS are on the way out now.

I did not enjoy the Sony mirrorless. (ergonomic we crap and meus set up woefully bad, not a fan of the digital view finder either). took good picture but nothing amazing either.

Now my question is will the D5600 perform any way better then then several models older D5100

(my D5100 was never 100% i think i gave it a few good too many knocks and focusing was never perfect or maybe metering was off slightly)

Or what left field would people recommend for about a 5-600euro budget ??????? second hand OK too

Advertisement