Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Highest house in your area?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Use to have snow end of September to May when I was in Fort MacMurray at 260 meters approx. Would say height had little do do with it . Had summer snow some years. But it would be gone by 6am.That was always a strange one.

Yes, as you say, in Canada, altitudes matter less, we are in the witch's teat.

For those of you who appreciate snow, I am providing a little sample of snow removal operations in Montreal. The opening part is drone footage of an old quarry used as a dumping ground for the snow removed on city streets after snowfalls. At 1:13, there is a flyover of a snow dump in the Lasalle district. There are 8 such dumping sites in the city. The Lasalle one is the biggest one at 95,000 square meters. Other parts of the video show the actual removal of snow on streets and sidewalks. The annual budget the city allocate to snow operations is 250 million dollars.

https://youtu.be/bQujcjTZEG8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I briefly used to live at the top of a housing estate at 92m. The bottom of the estate was 70m. Some days there was snow lying at my house while there was nothing at the bottom of the estate, a mere 22m difference. Other days there was nothing with me but snow above 120 to 150m on the road to work. And others with widespread snow at lowest levels.

Small changes in altitude makes a big difference in those polar maritime set ups mentioned above. They do deliver low down but often 100m fairs much better and above 150m to 200m is a different world. March is another month that altitude makes a huge difference , I've often seen snow completely stay around the 150m mark while it mostly melts lower down in direct sunshine anyway.

There's big year on year differences between how much snow there is at modest elevation. It's often very marginal in ireland so the slightest bit of altitude can make a huge difference. Those houses hitting 400m mentioned on here must have seen some crazy snowstorms over the years while it was pissing with the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

After a quick check the highest inhabitated I can see is 236 metres in Meenachurrin, Ardara, Donegal, There was a TG4 Nuacht segment a while back talking about the two story house in on top of Meenaroy and that it was the highest house in Donegal. I think it's derelict now. So that doesn't count really.

Pangea wrote: »
    After a quick check the highest inhabitated I can see is 236 metres in Meenachurrin, Ardara, Donegal, There was a TG4 Nuacht segment a while back talking about the two story house in on top of Meenaroy and that it was the highest house in Donegal. I think it's derelict now. So that doesn't count really.

I see a isolated house 265m, 5km from letterkenny. Would be a good spot for snow, a good bit inland. I don't think there's any above 300m in Donegal. That might be the highest.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭King of Spades

Live at about 150m asl beside Hill of Tara. Decent enough altitude for a few snowfalls here most winters. Kilmessan is just 5 mins drive down the hill and always at least a degree warmer which makes a big difference for snow falling/sticking when the cold is marginal - which is usually the case in our winters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Highest house in my area is 3 storeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

The Top of Croom pub on the Kerry Cork border at 319m is probably worth a mention in this thread. Had to cycle up to it once (and I don't really cycle). Felt every inch the 319m....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

What's the best site to use for checking elevation? Does Google have an option for elevation?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

What's the best site to use for checking elevation? Does Google have an option for elevation?

I use this Norwegian site for aviation, but it also has an excellent elevation tool too. Just zoom in and right-click on the location to show elevation. Also, double click on it to get a meteogram.

https://www.ippc.no/ippc/

I use the Google Earth app. Can be a bit awkward scrolling on it but it shows altitude for every location you select and you can access street view through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭prosaic

There are some datasets with global terrain data.
    Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) has resolution to 30m (I assume it is available for Ireland).
    A few years ago (8 or 10?) I played with some of that sort of data, building contour maps and overlaying in Google Earth by making kml file of contours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

gooseman12 wrote: »
    The butter road in cork goes pretty high and there's houses to almost 380m from what I can see on the terrain layer on google maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/52.014475,+-8.954645/@52.0146696,-8.9549989,17z/data=!3m1!1e3

I live very near that my house is 240M...

Advertisement