Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apply to Uk for medicine?

• 01-11-2020 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Has anyone considered doing the ucat with the aim of applying for medicine in the uk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Peek1

hcoben111 wrote: »
    Has anyone considered doing the ucat with the aim of applying for medicine in the uk?

Yes, was going to apply for next year.. but.. brexit stuff is happening.
    Officially you were able to apply for their loan schemes as a european, just as a UK citizen could but that's been withdrawn from the start of this or next year? I'm not sure, but the boat is gone in terms of funding.
    If you're able to fund it yourself, you'd have to find out what you're gonna pay because there is a decent chance you might have to pay international student standard fees... you know, the "big dick rich family" fees. I'm not sure what's happening on that, ive stopped looking in uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭hcoben111

Thanks peek. Are you applying with gamsat or ucat or both? Also what uni are you going for?

hcoben111 wrote: »
    Thanks peek. Are you applying with gamsat or ucat or both? Also what uni are you going for?

Oh, sorry, I mean to say that I was going to try and apply to UK, but not going to anymore because of the reasons I mentioned. I'm only going for the universities in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chantelle242

Peek1 wrote: »
    Officially you were able to apply for their loan schemes as a european, just as a UK citizen could but that's been withdrawn from the start of this or next year? I'm not sure, but the boat is gone in terms of funding.
    If you're able to fund it yourself, you'd have to find out what you're gonna pay because there is a decent chance you might have to pay international student standard fees... you know, the "big dick rich family" fees. I'm not sure what's happening on that, ive stopped looking in uk.

It seems that Irish Nationals will still be eligible for UK funding under the common travel area agreement. Scotland and Wales haven't clarified their plans yet, but the English funding website states that you are exempt from Brexit changes. (Sorry can't post links but it's on the gov website!)

• Advertisement

It seems that Irish Nationals will still be eligible for UK funding under the common travel area agreement. Scotland and Wales haven't clarified their plans yet, but the English funding website states that you are exempt from Brexit changes. (Sorry can't post links but it's on the gov website!)
    Oh yes, you're right, my bad completely then.
    Unfortunately it doesn't apply to me but hopefully it will help others.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Ireland will still be considered as 'home' students as far as I know. My fees will be the same next year anyway

avalon68 wrote: »
    Ireland will still be considered as 'home' students as far as I know. My fees will be the same next year anyway

Yes, you're right, I was wrong in the other comment.
    It seems the fees will(?) be the same for Irish nationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

I applied to the university of Swansea-in Wales-just this september gone by and they said I would be subject to international student fees...I quickly removed them off my list.

I applied to the university of Swansea-in Wales-just this september gone by and they said I would be subject to international student fees...I quickly removed them off my list.

Well, it just seems that everyone needs to just ask each uni wtf is going on as the uk GOV website says it will stay the same for Irish Nationals.

• Advertisement

Well, it just seems that everyone needs to just ask each uni wtf is going on as the uk GOV website says it will stay the same for Irish Nationals.

Apologies-I sent them an eMail asking; this was their reply-Ive removed my name but other than that this is a direct copy and paste of the email they replied with.

Good afternoon XXXXXX,

Thank you for your email and your interest in our Graduate Entry Medicine course here at Swansea.

Due to the UK leaving the European Union on 31st January 2020, all non-UK applicants will now be classed as International students for fee paying purposes, which includes students from the Republic of Ireland (excluding Northern Ireland). More information for Irish students can be found via the link below:

https://www.swansea.ac.uk/international-students/my-country/ireland/

I hope this helps. If you have any further queries, please don’t hesitate to get in touch via medicine.admissions@swansea.ac.uk.

Cofion gorau | Best wishes

Miss Catherine Gray
    Y Tîm Derbyn | Admissions Team

Ffôn | Phone (01792) 295990

Oriau gwaith: Dydd Llun i ddydd Gwener 09:00 - 17:00 | Working hours: Monday to Friday 09:00 – 17:00

Apologies-I sent them an eMail asking; this was their reply-Ive removed my name but other than that this is a direct copy and paste of the email they replied with.

Due to the UK leaving the European Union on 31st January 2020, all non-UK applicants will now be classed as International students for fee paying purposes, which includes students from the Republic of Ireland (excluding Northern Ireland). More information for Irish students can be found via the link below:

Wow.... Ive not much to add to this discussion really as I'm not applying to uk myself but on here, towards the bottom it clearly says you should be considered for home fee status if youre Irish. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/studying-in-the-uk-guidance-for-eu-students

Copy paste.....

Changes to funding from the 2021 to 2022 academic year

If your course starts on or after the 1 August 2021 you will not be eligible for home fee status, undergraduate, postgraduate and further education financial support from Student Finance England unless you meet one of the following criteria:

-you are able to benefit from the citizens rights agreements
    -you are an Irish citizen living in the UK or Republic of Ireland - benefits of Irish citizens under the Common Travel Area arrangement will continue

Wow.... Ive not much to add to this discussion really as I'm not applying to uk myself but on here, towards the bottom it clearly says you should be considered for home fee status if youre Irish. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/studying-in-the-uk-guidance-for-eu-students

Copy paste.....

If your course starts on or after the 1 August 2021 you will not be eligible for home fee status, undergraduate, postgraduate and further education financial support from Student Finance England unless you meet one of the following criteria:

-you are an Irish citizen living in the UK or Republic of Ireland - benefits of Irish citizens under the Common Travel Area arrangement will continue

So to summarize Brexit is a mess and nobody knows what they're at :P TBF that's from a government website so I feel that should trump a college's ruling on the matter. Maybe Wales is really racist towards Irish people :P I kid I kid. I applied to St Andrews as well (although I won't be going; you need chemistry at LC level which I don't have....I was considering sitting as an external candidate but don't have the foggiest about going about it and you need over 80%; I feel like the LC is really pinickety and you need the guidance of a teacher to get around to their way of answering/phrasing) but the reason I applied there was a. I had a gap to fill after I got that email from Swansea 😂 b. Personal reasons c. I had approached them about fees previously and they said they Irish citizens would be classes as home students or rest of uk students not overseas then after I replied I got a generalized email how the fee status was still to be determined. This is the 2nd email I got.

Dear XXXXXX

You have confirmed in your application that you are an Irish National. We are currently awaiting guidance from the Scottish Government on the fee status arrangements for Irish Nationals so we are unable to assess your fee status at present. As soon as we have clarity on this, we will be back in touch with you. Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Michele Goodwin
    Registry Officer - Undergraduate and Fees
    Registry

University of St Andrews
    Old Burgh School
    St Andrews, KY16 9LB
    Fife, Scotland

fees@st-andrews.ac.uk
    http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Copy paste.....

Home fee status doesnt necessarily mean eligible for loans though. Im in UK university now - I got the loan, but there was something about needing to have been resident here for a certain period of time. I met that as I have worked here for a number of years

Advertisement