Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UCC Place opening up

• 24-08-2020 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Unfortunately, I will not be taking up my place at UCC this year. It was a last minute decision, and was really looking forward to starting.

Just thought I would inform this forum in case anyone was hoping for a place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Alexion

That’s a pity, is your score valid for next year? I’m still in limbo with UCD, I don’t think I can move to cork with expenses....so there could be another ucc place available!

Did the prospect of online learning put you off?

Also I don’t know if anyone else has had this experience but are UCc admissions the rudest people ever?! I’ve never seen anything like it. I’ve secured a. Place and any emails with queries are met with the rudest responses ever! I’ve never seen anything like it

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

No, it was a combination of travel restrictions (living in the U.K.) and putting myself in a better financial position.

I actually like online learning if it is theoretical stuff.

I think you’re mad. We’ll be living in a very different world next year and any notion that entry requirements will resemble those of this year are fanciful. Could you not live here in very basic accommodation and work part time?

Given the reasons YOU offered, I would suggest it might not be what your really wanted? Is it too late to change your mind? Surely someone in Cork would put you up for free if you were very needy?

Yeah I’m not sure why they’ve been so rude, I’ve found it quiet disconcerting! Yeah you’re right, it’s a lot more stressful doing it in a secure financial position! Hope all goes well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

I think you’re mad. We’ll be living in a very different world next year and any notion that entry requirements will resemble those of this year are fanciful. Could you not live here in very basic accommodation and work part time?

Given the reasons YOU offered, I would suggest it might not be what your really wanted? Is it too late to change your mind? Surely someone in Cork would put you up for free if you were very needy?

That’s not a helpful response. Moving countries is extremely difficult right now, as is finding accommodation from abroad. If the op is from the uk they might not be elligible for loans and not everyone wants to kill themselves working a part time job on top of a full time course. Are you per chance funded by your family to pursue this? There is also absolutely no indication that requirements will change next year. The number of places are capped and the financial side isa battier to many. I doubt it will change in any way.

Agreed doing graduate medicine is a difficult decision to make especially at the moment when so much is uncertain. Just another note had more contact from UCC admissions today, I can’t get over the rudeness, I must have just caught the wrong person, I’m shocked at the tone of emails, I understand it’s stressful for everyone but really that’s not acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 18 hrvo1998

Alexion wrote: »
    Agreed doing graduate medicine is a difficult decision to make especially at the moment when so much is uncertain. Just another note had more contact from UCC admissions today, I can’t get over the rudeness, I must have just caught the wrong person, I’m shocked at the tone of emails, I understand it’s stressful for everyone but really that’s not acceptable

I was gonna email them again but now im scared they actually are super cut throat and spineless... with that being said the guy that replied to my email last week was somewhat nicer but still they won’t give any details away about anything they basically told me sorry tough luck go sit the gamsat or LC again. Is it possible to call them i wonder??

UCD have been so much more polite in emails...I’m really put off by ucc

• Registered Users Posts: 18 hrvo1998

UCD have been so much more polite in emails...I’m really put off by ucc

Have UCD hinted anything to you in relation to further offers?? they’re all so secretive its so frustrating!!

• Advertisement

UcD respond is a respectful amicable manner as you would expect from any third level institution- they are ambiguous as they don’t know how many people may drop their offer but they don’t dismiss or bully in their emails, in the manner that UCC do...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

UcD respond is a respectful amicable manner as you would expect from any third level institution- they are ambiguous as they don’t know how many people may drop their offer but they don’t dismiss or bully in their emails, in the manner that UCC do...

Can you be a bit more specific about the rudeness you experienced?

I am a UCC GEM student and find the staff lovely and approachable. I don't talk to anyone who works in admissions, however. And neither will you once you are past the point of admissions.

While it isn't great PR to have curt replies in emails, the day to day experience at UCC is very good.

Just a rude tone with little empathy I guess. Are you in second year now? Have ye a timetable of likely contact time for this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

Unfortunately, I will not be taking up my place at UCC this year. It was a last minute decision, and was really looking forward to starting.

Just thought I would inform this forum in case anyone was hoping for a place.

I gave up my spot in Limerick on Friday as well so another Limerick spot is available too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 coopersock

Hi guys, I got a call from UCC this morning to offer me a place. I took a couple of hours to speak to my partner & family, and have just told UCC that I regretfully decline. It’s Dublin I want so going to just aim for that next year. I would have considered it if I knew sooner but with all the stress and hassle of relocating in a few days for my 3rd choice - I’m just not going to take it. The course starts Monday (albeit online initially).

So a place is opening up... I am on 57 and my random number was 510.

I hope whoever gets the call next is in a position to take it - good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Just a rude tone with little empathy I guess. Are you in second year now? Have ye a timetable of likely contact time for this year?
    Can you give a specific example? Are they helpful otherwise? Bear in mind email tone is highly subjective. I know people in similar jobs and they're totally overloaded with prospective students cancelling, uncancelling, and cancelling again.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Can you give a specific example? Are they helpful otherwise? Bear in mind email tone is highly subjective. I know people in similar jobs and they're totally overloaded with prospective students cancelling, uncancelling, and cancelling again.

I just personally found their response unprofessional - we are all stressed but I think the language used was just not professional. I won't go into it any further lol, has anyone gotten a UCD offer in recent days?

Advertisement