Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wind / Rainfall warnings :Potentially very windy Weds 18th Dec 2019

1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I hour warning for Orange says it all really. Do some people here work for met Eireann?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I hour warning for Orange says it all really. Do some people here work for met Eireann?

Have you read the recent few pages of this thread? Ample evidence of the advance warnings of the possibility of an upgrade to Orange. Ignorance is not the fault of Met Éireann or anyone else except the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

People like to blame others despite the weather warnings, rather than take personal responsibility.
    It shouldn't matter if yellow or orange, there were warnings out and it was stated it would be strongest in western areas. People just want someone to blame as it is easier than to say 'I did not keep updated that it would be worse in the west and I took an initial yellow warning for granted'.
    I have also seen people in areas where it only reached yellow warning levels complain about Met Eireann and how bad the storm was - despite it only being an actual yellow level storm for the majority of the country. People have become lazy with the colour system and when things go wrong, its always someone's else's fault, some can never say 'I got that wrong'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

South Sligo

Everything normal
    Hurricane for 2.5 hours
    Everything back to normal

Don't know how anyone can predict that sh1t

Posted on twitter:
    It's rather ironic in this particular case that in many instances people parked their car on the seafront with Storm Elsa coming in and went off to see a film in the cinema called Frozen of which Elsa is the star.

:pac:

• Advertisement

I think ME need a warning system NOT based on the county unit. Galway is a case in point. The weather in west Galway more often than not is on a different planet than in the east of the county with regards to wind storms for example. UK Met Office system is better I think in not relying on administrative boundaries when it comes to where to apply weather warnings.

498056.png

17-pdr wrote: »
    I think ME need a warning system NOT based on the county unit. Galway is a case in point. The weather in west Galway more often than not is on a different planet than in the east of the county with regards to wind storms for example. UK Met Office system is better I think in not relying on administrative boundaries when it comes to where to apply weather warnings.

498056.png

As they say you can bring a horse to water but you can't make him drink. A yellow warning in Galway for wind or rain, any galwegian should know that means: there's going to be a lot of wind and rain.

Salthill promenade floods at least once a year. Its not like this is the first time it happened or anything.

If we did the administrative regions as you call them, Met Eireann will get criticized for an orange warning reported in one area and nothing in another area.

denartha wrote: »
    As they say you can bring a horse to water but you can't make him drink. A yellow warning in Galway for wind or rain, any galwegian should know that means: there's going to be a lot of wind and rain.

Salthill promenade floods at least once a year. Its not like this is the first time it happened or anything.

If we did the administrative regions as you call them, Met Eireann will get criticized for an orange warning reported in one area and nothing in another area.

I'm saying ME shouldn't use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

There's a serious looking storm forming out in the Atlantic at the moment, I might give ME a call and let them know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I wonder could people sue Met Eireann for the damage to their cars? 1 hour warning was very poor. I'd say they may have a good case especially when you see what cases are won in courts there days e.g Dunnes Stores glass container and hot water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Met Eireann issued a nationwide fog yellow warning at 3pm today. There has been a dense fog over much of the west all day already with driving tests cancelled since this morning in Galway City and Castlebar and a number of road traffic collisions reported on local media outlets already due to the fog.

The forecast was for Fog, but it seems counter intuitive to issue or promote a "warning" when the weather event is already well established in the area affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I wonder could people sue Met Eireann for the damage to their cars? 1 hour warning was very poor. I'd say they may have a good case especially when you see what cases are won in courts there days e.g Dunnes Stores glass container and hot water

FFS. That's the type of thinking that is ruining this country and driving up insurance premiums.

No one can take responsibility or put up their hand and say mea culpa. Turning into a nation of children who want spoon feeding. When there's a high end level yellow warning it should be common cop on that it could go into orange territory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Naggdefy wrote: »
    FFS. That's the type of thinking that is ruining this country and driving up insurance premiums.

No one can take responsibility or put up their hand and say mea culpa. Turning into a nation of children who want spoon feeding. When there's a high end level yellow warning it should be common cop on that it could go into orange territory.

There seems to be a serious lack of cop on in this country the last few years. Mind you it would not surprise me at all if somebody actually did try to bring a legal case against ME due to storm warning levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

There seems to be a serious lack of cop on in this country the last few years. Mind you it would not surprise me at all if somebody actually did try to bring a legal case against ME due to storm warning levels.

Definitely a Donegal councilor tried, but was not successful under some act got to do with the wording of the warnings.
    But the people who have to be careful are amateur forecasting sites,who issue there own warnings prior to met eireann.
    They are open to been sued big time especially if there wrong.
    I see Midlands weather giving out because met eireann called them amateur and for releasing weather warnings before them.
    Midlands weather might have been right this time, but you don't hear anything about when there wrong , you probably will when someone brings a legal case against them or other similar sight's

17-pdr wrote: »
    I'm saying ME shouldn't use them.

Apologies, misread your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Rather than ditch the colour system in use, maybe restructure them somewhat. Maybe have green up to 80 kph. Then yellow to 110 kph etc.
    Here on the west coast, yellow warnings are frequent and usually amount to very little. People put their bins and patio furniture away at best. It’s not laziness or carelessness. It’s based on experience since the system came into use. The upper end of it can do a lot of damage and really is a different beast from the lower end.
    When you have 5 yellows that are relatively mild, a yellow from the upper end can catch you unawares.
    If the system was working, you shouldn’t need to research it much further. It’s designed for the general population to inform them as quickly and simply as possible.
    Personally I preferred the Beaufort scale. 12 wind levels as opposed to 3 meant you instantly had a fair idea of what was coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,129 ✭✭✭highdef

ZX7R wrote: »
    Definitely a Donegal councilor tried, but was not successful under some act got to do with the wording of the warnings.
    But the people who have to be careful are amateur forecasting sites,who issue there own warnings prior to met eireann.
    They are open to been sued big time especially if there wrong.
    I see Midlands weather giving out because met eireann called them amateur and for releasing weather warnings before them.
    Midlands weather might have been right this time, but you don't hear anything about when there wrong , you probably will when someone brings a legal case against them or other similar sight's
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Midlands Weather just an individual who posts on Facebook? Any person can make up a name and post anything on Facebook. I doubt you can sue a Facebook user because they said something might happen but then it didn't. You or I can very very easily create a new Facebook account with a weather themed name and give our own predictions of the weather. It is the people who decide to follow this account and decide it is the de facto forecast for their local area who are the silly ones.

highdef wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Midlands Weather just an individual who posts on Facebook? Any person can make up a name and post anything on Facebook..

True, and many of these are there purely just to gain followers and will therefore post anything to do so. Certain Twitter accounts too.

highdef wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Midlands Weather just an individual who posts on Facebook? Any person can make up a name and post anything on Facebook. I doubt you can sue a Facebook user because they said something might happen but then it didn't. You or I can very very easily create a new Facebook account with a weather themed name and give our own predictions of the weather. It is the people who decide to follow this account and decide it is the de facto forecast for their local area who are the silly ones.

Midlands weather
    Came out with a post sighting his credentials and qualifications saying that he is a professional.
    I not sure if you still can but he use to issue private forecast at a cost.
    He appears on TV 3 etc.
    So yes he is leaving himself open to legal actions

Midlands weather
    Came out with a post sighting his credentials and qualifications saying that he is a professional.
    He appears on TV 3 etc.

Nobody is open to legal actions in this regard. The Irish will, of course, chance their hand and make a claim, but if the likes of RTÉ (in partiucular George Lee) and the various tabloids and sites like Dublinlive.ie, Joe.ie, Her.ie, etc., get away with what they do then people who give their time for free will should too. Of course, it doesn't really work like that.

Met Éireann gave ample warning, as has been repeatedly highlighted, so anyone trying to claim from them is another scheming chancer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Midlands weather
    He appears on TV 3 etc.

Pray tell,what were those qualifications and credentials?

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Pray tell,what were those qualifications and credentials?

Here you go.
    Make of it what you will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I won't comment on the veracity of that
    What I will say is a few 100 kms to the left with that storm and he would have egg on his face
    Amateur forecasters do not have the resources or the responsibility of met Éireann or the experience
    Most of the regulars in this forum know the complexity
    The general public don't.
    If Met Éireann issue too many unwarranted oranges,they'll eventually be ignored
    Crowing about not getting one in time in this instance is egotistical and irresponsible in my opinion given the complexity
    This example suits his narrative but to me looks unhelpful for the public good

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Amateur forecasters do not have the resources or the responsibility of met Éireann or the experience.

When I looked last Wednesday morning 'he' was forecasting widespread red warnings imminent for the south, west and midlands and winds (not gusts) up to 140kmh! Sensational and OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Here's the max. 10-minute mean wind speeds storm comparison table updated to Storm Elsa now that the data for December 2019 is in. I figured I'd include Atiyah in one post here rather than two separate posts. Even this table is getting a bit big for my liking that I may remove some storms in future updates (which will include the now named Brendan once data comes in February if Met Éireann don't do a tweet or post some provisional stats) and keep the very notable ones like Ali, Ophelia and Darwin.

*Red marks the highest wind speed out of the storms in the table for the respective station.

Rv7k4P9.png

Advertisement