Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Figuring out a local Conemara word/phrase

• 24-11-2019 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hiya,

I remember years ago hearing a phrase for "come here" in Conemara that was something like guile (pronounced something like gull-ya).

Any idea what it is? Never heard in anywhere else

GRMA!
    Rex

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think you're looking for the phrase "gabh i leith", which would sound like the one you posted if you say it quickly enough.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yep, it's "gabh i leith" and kind of a gutteral noise more than a phrase ha. I would pronounce it gwill-eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Rex Manning

That's great, thats exactly it!

Guess it's not local to just conemara?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

That's great, thats exactly it!

Guess it's not local to just conemara?
    I learned Irish on the Aran Islands so it would be Connemara Irish. However, iirc, I learned that specific phrase and its pronunciation from a Dubliner from Coláiste Eoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I remember hearing this a lot on the Ros na Rún soap opera and going eagerly to the dictionary to look up 'goile', to no avail. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

topper75 wrote: »
    I remember hearing this a lot on the Ros na Rún soap opera and going eagerly to the dictionary to look up 'goile', to no avail. :-)

Must be like coming to Limerick and hearing "Come 'ere I wancha" for non-English speakers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

The Ulster equivalent is 'Goitse'...from Gabh anseo.

Advertisement