Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish and English name on passport

• 03-10-2019 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

I have a daughter with the name Úna and I'm filling out the form for her first passport. The application form allows for two names:

Name to appear on Passport
    and Name on Birth Cert

Her surname on Birth Cert is in English but she goes to a Gaelscoil and uses her Irish language surname there. So I was thinking of putting her Irish language name as the name to appear on Passport, as well as having her Birth Cert name (English equivalent).

Has anyone else done this and can tickets be booked with either surname if both appear on passport?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Looking at my (and any of my family's) passport there's only one name on the passport. I guess that's the "name on passport".

For travel, if the name on the ticket does not match the name on the passport or other documentation it may cause problems.

I don't fancy trying to explain the equivalence of Irish and English versions of my name and the constitutional position of the Irish language to immigration or check-in in a foreign country where I don't speak their language fluently (or even if I did).

To avoid potential confusion it's easier if the name is consistent across all documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I have seen: Also Known As Seán Ó Saoránach on a passport, so it is possible.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

the passport office will use the Irish name, and print the english language version as an observation
    https://www.dfa.ie/passports/documentary-requirements/#Differentname

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭BarraOG

the passport office will use the Irish name, and print the english language version as an observation
    https://www.dfa.ie/passports/documentary-requirements/#Differentname

But do you then have two official names with respect to the passport? Surely this is also an issue for people from other countries which dont use Latin alphabeths but who adopt Latin versions of their names when traveling/living in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭BarraOG

I asked the passport office, and the second name should match the name on your birth cert. You need to prove that the Irish name has been in use for 6 months, a letter from the school in my case. And you need to book tickets with the Irish version. The second name is just their to match with your birth cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

Esel wrote: »
    I have seen: Also Known As Seán Ó Saoránach on a passport, so it is possible.
    I used to have "The bearer was registered at birth as ___" printed opposite the photo page.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

BarraOG wrote: »
    But do you then have two official names with respect to the passport? Surely this is also an issue for people from other countries which dont use Latin alphabeths but who adopt Latin versions of their names when traveling/living in the West.

I think Russian visas and travel documents are usually written in both alphabets anyway.

Advertisement