Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Translation of Irish Village name

• 30-10-2019 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

Hi all, moving to a new village soon and I'm keen to understand what the Irish name means. I've tried a few translators but I'm getting contradictory results and the most plausible one seems to be a very strange name for a village.

The Irish is: Fíoch Rua - In English is 'Connolly' but pretty sure that's not a translation!

Anyone able to help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Could be fioch as a word for a land and rua for red = red land ? Maybe the soil is red in colour there? Often names describe some feature of the place. Perhaps someone acquainted with the area would know what it might describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

What's the English name ? Can often work backwards from there...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 qwertyuiopa

A 'fíodhach' is a wooded area, so it could well mean 'the red wood'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Deagol

Thanks for the suggestions - both look much better than what I had figured (red rage..but it just didn't sound likely)!

I'll ask locally to see if there's anyone who knows. I do know the ground in the front garden is pretty red so might be that - but I'll take a look at older OS maps and see if there's anything about woodland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Deagol

If anyone is interested.... based on the suggestions here, I was able to approach the search from the other side and I found the answer!

Clare county libraries; James Frost's history of Clare records Feighroe (anglicization) as meaning 'red wood'.

Again, thanks to all!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Glad to see that one worked out!

Logainm.ie is great for this kind of query as well.

https://www.logainm.ie/ga/129116?s=Connolly

Advertisement