Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water well

• 23-08-2018 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭

I almost dug myself into a well behind a period house in Dun Laoghaire today, it seems to be pretty deep judging from the stone that fell into it when the ground collapsed. There was a wooden door covering it that was rotten, is there any way to date it from the location?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Seanachai wrote: »
    I almost dug myself into a well behind a period house in Dun Laoghaire today, it seems to be pretty deep judging from the stone that fell into it when the ground collapsed. There was a wooden door covering it that was rotten, is there any way to date it from the location?

Where is it?

The best source for searching is Thom's directories. New houses would generally get into the directory within a year or two.
    A virtually complete set is on the open shelves in the reading room of the Dublin City Library & Archive, Pearse Street. A good set is also in the NLI.
    The DLR Lexicon, Local Studies section has most, but you need to be there when the Local Studies Librarian is on duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Seanachai wrote: »

It depends on where in DL. Most houses near the centre there were built in waves, most dating from the coming of the railway/work on the harbour. Some houses on Crofton Road predate 1800. My first home was a fixer-up there and I discovered a well under my kitchen floorboards. The floor was raised about a foot over ground level, the well was covered by a heavy wooden trapdoor and the well was brick-lined and full of water, about 8 feet deep. The house dated to 1830-40. I later discovered that the house next door also had one, so they seem to be quite common.

Advertisement