Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any help with a translation?

Options
  • 31-10-2015 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Hello.
    Can somebody help me translate these sentences below into Irish?

My Korean friend is going to Damien Rice's concert but she doesn't know whether he speaks Irish or not. She thinks it will be nice if it is in his language
    Thank you very much!

Dear Damien.
    I am a big fan of yours. Lovely to meet you and I am very thanful for you.
    I've come to see you with my dearest friend.
    She is also a fan of yours.
    If it is possible, can you get her a picture and an autograph?
    I will appreciate it, Mr. Rice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Damien,a chara,

Taitníonn tusa agus do cheoil go mór liom i gcónaí.Tá sé an-deas bualadh leat,agus tá mé an-bhuíoch faoi seo.
    Tháinig mé anseo inniu,agus mo chara dhil in éineacht liom.Is as An Chóiré í,agus tá an-ghnaoi aici ortsa freisin,mar atá agamsa.
    Le do thoil,an féidir leat grianghraf agus do shiniú a thabhairt do mo chara,mura mhiste leat?
    Bheinnse,agus sise,thar a bheith buíoch duit faoi sin.

There will be better answers,so always keep looking on this thread for new posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

I would use fótagraf and átagraf, but I'm sure An Riabhach probably gave better translations, my Irish is more "new", but I prefer the older stuff.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is this meant to come from your Korean friend who is bringing another (Korean) friend or is it yourself who is going with your Korean friend?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Damien,a chara,

Taitníonn tusa agus do cheoil go mór liom i gcónaí.Tá sé an-deas bualadh leat,agus tá mé an-bhuíoch faoi seo.
    Tháinig mé anseo inniu,agus mo chara dhil in éineacht liom.Is as An Chóiré í,agus tá an-ghnaoi aici ortsa freisin,mar atá agamsa.
    Le do thoil,an féidir leat grianghraf agus do shiniú a thabhairt do mo chara,mura mhiste leat?
    Bheinnse,agus sise,thar a bheith buíoch duit faoi sin.

There will be better answers,so always keep looking on this thread for new posts.

Couple of issues. The tense of the first line should be in the past.

Thaitnigh... etc

I think "Tá sé deas..." is actually a TSF mistake. "Is deas bualadh leat..." is better. "Buíoch faoi seo" is Béarlachas. "..agus táim buíoch dá bharr" might be better "...grateful for it, because of it".

It's "buíoch díot" not duit, thar a bheith buíoch díot is correct.

Advertisement